Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy 9+ on Band 71

Feedback Score

Galaxy 9+ on Band 71

My wife has an Apple store purchased unlocked iphone 7+, and since we switched over from big red she has been unhappy with her reception inside business establishments here in town. We are in one of the areas that has been upgraded to Band 71 and I'm looking for any reports of what kind of reception people are getting on Band 71 with the Galaxy 9+?

We dropped a $1000 on the iphone about a year ago, and want to make sure if we drop another $800 on the Galaxy that it's going to get us the reception we are looking for.

Feedback Score
    First. Check if your area has any band 71. Provide a zip code if you want to check. Second just check the specs site for the s9 to see supported bands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    First. Check if your area has any band 71. Provide a zip code if you want to check. Second just check the specs site for the s9 to see supported bands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Like I said in my first post, we already have Band 71. Northeast Oregon was one of the first areas to get it. And yes, the S9 does support band 71, that's why I'm asking about real world performance.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The operative word is "inside". Every building is different. Unless you can find someone who has been inside the same buildings with the same model phone, any other observations will be pretty much irrelevant. So far, T-Mobile has not cranked up the power on their low-band signals to match AT&T's and Vzw's inside service.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    North East Oregon 600 MHz deployment has started. Looks like they only added at most three 600 MHz sites so far. I’d take a look at the specific area on this map to see what the 600 MHz is like in your area. —— https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-roamd-34l Get back to me with what you see and I’ll let you know if it’s worth getting an S9 or switch carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is the most up to date T-Mobile 600 Mhz Map on 3/22/18. Note when you expand it not every dot is a cell tower it shows the signal strength.

This is the February 2018 600 Mhz Map where I think that each dot is a cell tower from Spectrumgateway using T-Mobile info.

As far as asking people for S9 experience with reception reports on this board consider asking this same question on this Reddit board where there are a lot more people. It isn't a great board for conversation but it is great for people that have a particular phone in a certain area.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 04-11-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I think that each dot is a cell tower from Spectrumgateway using T-Mobile info.
    I don't think that's 100% correct. It looks to me like those dots are always right in the middle of the name of the town on the map. So I'm thinking that T-Mobile have said there's a tower in a town, and the map shows a tower there, but not actually in it's correct geographical location.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    I don't think that's 100% correct. It looks to me like those dots are always right in the middle of the name of the town on the map. So I'm thinking that T-Mobile have said there's a tower in a town, and the map shows a tower there, but not actually in it's correct geographical location.
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I really don't know just guessing since there are a lot of single dots on that map and previous old versions of that same map that don't have another dot in 50 miles or more. Agree, the dot is just in the city not the true GPS spot on the map...

I am more impressed by the other map Lart2150 that you can click in to see the changes between different dates. It shows changes to the map like from 3/6/18 to 3/22/18 and displays the updates in that period.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes that other map is really nice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds reasonable, since the only independent source of band-71 information, CellMapper, doesn't show anything like that much coverage.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Sounds reasonable, since the only independent source of band-71 information, CellMapper, doesn't show anything like that much coverage.
    What percentage of T-Mobile customers have a Band 71 supported phones that use Cellmapper in those non-Metro areas where 600 Mhz is build out in the last 120 days? Maybe, 0.005% of T-Mobile's 70 Million customer? Most of T-Mobile's 600 Mhz has only gone up in the last 120 days. If you look at AT&T on the west coast over Cellmapper it looks much weaker that T-Mobile since few people on AT&T use Cellmapper.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    What percentage of T-Mobile customers have a Band 71 supported phones ......looks much weaker that T-Mobile since few people on AT&T use Cellmapper.
    Be that as it may, CellMapper is still the only independent means, AFAIK, of verifying claims of band-71 coverage. Everything else would either be based on T-Mobile's claims or would not differentiate between LTE bands.

Feedback Score
    It's La Grande where we are having problems with the iPhone 7+ inside of buildings. Just want to make sure the S9 on band 71 will work better before we spend another $800 for it.

The hospital, library, some restaurants, etc...all drop the signal where we were fine on Verizon before switching.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I say purchase the phone give 10-12 days and if it fits the bill keep it, if not return it.

Little bit of a hassle yes, but you'd get a definitive answer to an otherwise subjective question.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast