Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Traveling to Canada need phone plan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Traveling to Canada need phone plan

    I know Verizon is the best in the usa but what is the equivalent in Canada? I'm needing the most amount of data for as cheap as possible on a Verizon equivalent provider (largest provider) for when I'm live streaming there in Canada.... I'd like to order and have it shipped to USA before I leave if possible... What would be the best plan? I'd only need like 3 days and no calls or texts if possible... but anything would work... What would you recommend? I've got a Verizon S8

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,924
    Feedback Score
    0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I have a Verizon MVNO that doesn't support international roaming.... That's awesome though

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    599
    Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think it depends on where in Canada you are talking about. Rogers and Bell are the two biggies. I did a Bell prepaid plan for two weeks back in 2015. That was best for me at the time. Things have probably changed a lot since then though. I would have to research all over again if I we're going now.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,130
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hmmm... I wonder if there are any Canadians on HoFo anywhere... ☺

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,390
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    T-Mobile postpaid allows usage in Canada, up to 5GB/mo LTE.

    If you have any kind of business, you could sign up for a T-Mo plan through TelTik, which is a T-Mo business reseller. For example, they have a 5GB data only plan for $20+$3.50 per month.

    That plan is meant for hotspot devices and tablets, but I use a similar data only plan from a different T-Mo business reseller, and it works fine in my SIM unlocked AT&T GoPhone LG Phoenix 2.

    I suspect, but can't promise, that it will work in most NON-T-Mo phones, but that it probably would be blocked if you tried to use it in a T-Mo branded phone.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,646
    Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder if there are any Canadians on HoFo anywhere... ☺
    HoFo has dedicated Canadian forums. Canadian Carrier Discussion - Howard Forums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    T-Mobile postpaid allows usage in Canada, up to 5GB/mo LTE.

    If you have any kind of business, you could sign up for a T-Mo plan through TelTik, which is a T-Mo business reseller. For example, they have a 5GB data only plan for $20+$3.50 per month.

    That plan is meant for hotspot devices and tablets, but I use a similar data only plan from a different T-Mo business reseller, and it works fine in my SIM unlocked AT&T GoPhone LG Phoenix 2.

    I suspect, but can't promise, that it will work in most NON-T-Mo phones, but that it probably would be blocked if you tried to use it in a T-Mo branded phone.
    My device is a Verizon S8 so I'd only be able to use 3G T-Mobile at best I had them for awhile but that's about all I could get with this phone

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    I think it depends on where in Canada you are talking about. Rogers and Bell are the two biggies. I did a Bell prepaid plan for two weeks back in 2015. That was best for me at the time. Things have probably changed a lot since then though. I would have to research all over again if I we're going now.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app
    I'll be in BC

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,390
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    My device is a Verizon S8 so I'd only be able to use 3G T-Mobile at best I had them for awhile but that's about all I could get with this phone

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Check https://willmyphonework.net or https://www.frequencycheck.com.

    Based on the info there, your Vzw S8 will have limited LTE based on supported bands/frequencies with most Canadian providers, although possibly more than you did with T-Mo.

    However, when I'm in Windsor, my T-Mo data only SIM usually connects to Bell LTE with my LG Phoenix 2.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I'll be in BC

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Telus has the best coverage in BC, at least in the rural areas.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    633
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    First, data in Canada is very expensive! If you can live with a roaming plan from a US carrier you will probably be better off.

    The three large Canadian carriers, Rogers, Telus and Bell are all of similar size and coverage. In fact, the latter two share their network infrastructure.

    The most used bands are 4, 5, and 12. Band 7 is used extensively in urban areas.

    CDMA is virtually gone.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,666
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I know Verizon is the best in the usa but what is the equivalent in Canada? I'm needing the most amount of data for as cheap as possible on a Verizon equivalent provider (largest provider) for when I'm live streaming there in Canada.... I'd like to order and have it shipped to USA before I leave if possible... What would be the best plan? I'd only need like 3 days and no calls or texts if possible... but anything would work... What would you recommend? I've got a Verizon S8

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Canadian data plans are crazy expensive, its actually cheaper to just pay for roaming with a U.S carrier.

    Verizon Prepaid has a travel pass, $5/day in Canada or you can buy a pre-loaded T-Mobile sim on eBay.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    599
    Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Canadian data plans are crazy expensive, its actually cheaper to just pay for roaming with a U.S carrier.

    Verizon Prepaid has a travel pass, $5/day in Canada or you can buy a pre-loaded T-Mobile sim on eBay.
    The Bell prepaid plan I had in 2015 gave me 1GB for about $35 cdn. Minutes and text were not free but I did not use any. That was cheaper than most roaming plans at the time.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    657
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you're looking for a lot of data you can get a preloaded, prepaid T-Mobile One PLan SIM on eBay that will give you unlimited talk/text and 5GB of LTE in Canada for under $30. Since it will come with a new US number, you can call-forward your existing Verizon MVNO # before you leave, and your calls will also come in on this SIM.

    You order it a couple of weeks before your trip, call them to activate a few days before you leave, and it automatically expires in 30 days.

    Note: There are a few different prepaid plans, and the One Plan includes Canada/Mexico automatically (there are some other plans that have a $5 add-on that provides the Canada/Mexico allowances, and some sellers include that and some don't -- it's not 100% clear to me in the listings which have it already included and which are options). While you might be able to save a few dollars by finding a listing for the $50 plan that lists Canada/Mexico as included (and has the same 5GB Canada/Mexico allowance), with the T-Mobile One Plan you're sure it's included...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can I use a Page Plus phone when traveling to Canada?
    By superfly123 in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 03:30 PM
  4. Traveling to Canada - Advice needed
    By Mobile Ranger in forum Fido
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 07:20 AM
  5. Moving to Canada, need a phone.
    By Tim_Wochomurka in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 01:02 PM

Bookmarks