Thread: How do calls sound on the new beta?

Feedback Score

How do calls sound on the new beta?

Especially for those who said that Hangouts calls didn't sound clear, is call quality better on the new GV VoIP beta?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Much better, minimal latency. Many, myself included seem to be having trouble with incoming calls not ringing. It is beta so I hope they get this sorted out soon.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I concur - comparing a call from cellphone (att) <> hangouts VS cellphone <> gv, the latter has about half as much latency. Calling from the cellphone directly to a gv # on the pbx (or vice versa) results in practically no noticeable lag. I can have each to each ear, say a word and hear it at the other end at the same time.

I wonder if the incoming call issue is power management related. There's a setting in newer versions of android called battery optimization. Maybe add gv to the list of "NOT OPTIMIZED" apps.

Hard to compare audio quality. The moto g4 play i'm using for my test subject doesn't have the best phone voice quality IMO.

GV dialer doesn't seem to blank the screen fully like the stock dialer does. Screen is dark, but backlight still visible. Hangouts had the same issue on this device. Maybe different on OLED phones.

Feedback Score
    Seems okay but I can't get any phones to ring, I have unlimited minutes on one phone and data only on 2 other ones, it looks like you can't have separate settings on each, it's either all data on all phones or cellular. As slow as hangouts was I liked the fact that I could select "incoming calls" on my no cell service devices. So far it looks like another typical Google communications app, half- baked... I'm sure I'll get attacked by the Google is free free free! Crowd that think hangouts looks modern)

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I wonder if the incoming call issue is power management related. There's a setting in newer versions of android called battery optimization. Maybe add gv to the list of "NOT OPTIMIZED" apps.
    I'm not going to test the GV app or the new calls over data functionality, because I don't want to lose the ability to use my GV #s on my Obihai / home phone.

However, your idea about why it might not be ringing for incoming calls is a good one, and doing your suggestion would be worthwhile for those experiencing the missed incoming call issue.

GV dialer doesn't seem to blank the screen fully like the stock dialer does. Screen is dark, but backlight still visible. Hangouts had the same issue on this device. Maybe different on OLED phones.
    Do you mean with the proximity sensor while on a call?

Feedback Score
    On my Moto E4 (Verizon prepaid, carrier unlocked) while in Google Voice call with new beta, I get the same behavior with the proximity sensor. The on screen buttons and text are dimmed, but the backlight does not go off completely.

On my Nexus 5X, the screen goes completely dark while in a call.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Seems okay but I can't get any phones to ring, I have unlimited minutes on one phone and data only on 2 other ones, it looks like you can't have separate settings on each, it's either all data on all phones or cellular. As slow as hangouts was I liked the fact that I could select "incoming calls" on my no cell service devices. So far it looks like another typical Google communications app, half- baked... I'm sure I'll get attacked by the Google is free free free! Crowd that think hangouts looks modern)

I have no opinion about how Hangouts "looks". I just know it works well, it allows me to call and message on any device I want to use, and that's all that matters to me!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Do you mean with the proximity sensor while on a call?
    Yes. I wonder if this is more a motorola 'feature' than an issue with the app. We need more feedback from those with fancier motorolas (g4 plus, g5's etc.)

Screen blanks out completely when placing calls in hangouts on my axon 7. That has an oled display though. So again, not sure if this is lcd display related or just a motorola 'feature'.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes. I wonder if this is more a motorola 'feature' than an issue with the app. We need more feedback from those with fancier motorolas (g4 plus, g5's etc.)

Screen blanks out completely when placing calls in hangouts on my axon 7. That has an oled display though. So again, not sure if this is lcd display related or just a motorola 'feature'.
    It could be. I know you mentioned you get the same behavior with the GV app or Hangouts on your E4. On my LG Phoenix 2, using Hangouts, the proximity sensor makes the screen go completely off while on a call.

I have an US Cellular Moto E4 that is currently not being used. I'll try to install Hangouts soon to see if I get the same behavior as you're experiencing with the proximity sensor on yours.

Feedback Score
    I have no opinion about how Hangouts "looks". I just know it works well, it allows me to call and message on any device I want to use, and that's all that matters to me!
    I've never had to rely on hangouts/VoIP for actual phone calls, I use Hangouts dilaler basically as a missed call notification, like if I'm on my tablet and my phone is away from me or off/charging. I will say that the VoIP GV call quality is much better than Hangouts, namely less echo and delay, but hangouts settings (incoming calls) can be set independently on multiple devices, in the GV beta VoIP it doesn't seem that's possible.

Feedback Score
    Lol I've never heard anybody hold back on the hideous hangouts interface.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I just tried this with a Pixel 2 XL with minutes, and a WiFi-only Nexus 6 on the same Google account, and I could certainly have individual settings for each. I even called my GV number from a third phone, and both rang, the P2XL over the normal dialer, and the N6 over the GV app. You can also select which phones will ring from the GV settings on any device, including web.

Feedback Score
    I got some good news though, regarding quality. I registered 2 google accounts, and finally got the second one enabled. When you're calling between 2 GV numbers on Android, the calls are wideband or superwideband. Google is using superwideband (basically full bandwidth audio) on Duo and Hangouts so that may be it.

Edit: tested with a tone generator, it definitely is transferring audio at higher than 11 kHz, probably beyond that. Only tested quickly.
    Last edited by andy_o; 04-12-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_o View Post
    I got some good news though, regarding quality. I registered 2 google accounts, and finally got the second one enabled. When you're calling between 2 GV numbers on Android, the calls are wideband or superwideband. Google is using superwideband (basically full bandwidth audio) on Duo and Hangouts so that may be it.

Edit: tested with a tone generator, it definitely is transferring audio at higher than 11 kHz, probably beyond that. Only tested quickly.
    Interesting, I just tried hangouts again and Google voip definitely delivered better audio.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I cannot get incoming calls to work. Google 💩