Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop $.01 charges

Device(s)
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop $.01 charges

Can anyone explain what these charges might be? I checked my credit card activity this morning and noticed four $.01 charges on my credit card and have no clue what they are for?! Also another thing to mention is that I have never even used any of the FreedomPop SIM cards I ordered almost a year ago. So thatís why Iím wondering what they are charging me for??? and another thing... Iím almost certain that I removed my credit card from the FreedomPop account so how can they be charging on it a year later?!? This is exactly why I decided not to use their service to begin with, too much upkeep

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsonu View Post
    Can anyone explain what these charges might be? I checked my credit card activity this morning and noticed four $.01 charges on my credit card and have no clue what they are for?! Also another thing to mention is that I have never even used any of the FreedomPop SIM cards I ordered almost a year ago. So thatís why Iím wondering what they are charging me for??? and another thing... Iím almost certain that I removed my credit card from the FreedomPop account so how can they be charging on it a year later?!? This is exactly why I decided not to use their service to begin with, too much upkeep
    Do a forum search. This was discussed quite a bit, probably in the 2nd half of 2017. I think there were some explanations given.

I got some of the $0.01 charges for some of my FP accounts around then, but have not in the last 6 months or so. Maybe FP is starting that practice back up again. I use my FP AT&T LTE SIM cards as my primary cell service, data only, so it won't bother me at all if my FP accounts get the $0.01 charge on a monthly basis.

I don't think it's possible to remove the payment method from a FP account and still have it active, so I doubt what you said about that is accurate.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    iPhone 5SE 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Not again. I thought itís over now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nox555 View Post
    Not again. I thought itís over now.
    I thought so, too.

But in the big scheme of things, if the FP $0.01 charges are starting again, is it really that bad?

I mean, if FP is giving 680MB/mo/SIM usable free LTE data, and if their business model relies on having an active payment method on file, having the data available is totally worth an occasional $0.01, especially to someone like me that uses FP AT&T LTE SIMs for their cellular service.

I have used FP AT&T LTE SIMs, for LTE data only, combined with my GV # + Hangouts for calls and messaging, for free service on my phones and tablets since March, 2017, and it has worked very well for me.

I would adjust to the next best thing if it ever ends, but I have been VERY happy to have free cellular service on multiple devices using multiple SIMs for the last 1+ year!

Therefore, I'm happy to pay FP an occasional $0.01.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop $.01 charges

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Do a forum search. This was discussed quite a bit, probably in the 2nd half of 2017. I think there were some explanations given.

I got some of the $0.01 charges for some of my FP accounts around then, but have not in the last 6 months or so. Maybe FP is starting that practice back up again. I use my FP AT&T LTE SIM cards as my primary cell service, data only, so it won't bother me at all if my FP accounts get the $0.01 charge on a monthly basis.

I don't think it's possible to remove the payment method from a FP account and still have it active, so I doubt what you said about that is accurate.
    Well I did not get any $.01 charges on my credit card in the second half of 2017, so sorry, I neglected to do a search. This is the first time the charge has happened to me so thatís why I posted my question about it. And yes, it would be different if I was like you and actually using the FreedomPop service, but I am not. As a matter a fact none of the FreedomPop sims have ever even been put into any of my phones. They are still sitting in the same envelope they were sent to me in. So the fact that I am not even using their service and almost a year later my credit card is being charged, even just $.01 is very concerning to me.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Well I did not get any $.01 charges on my credit card in the second half of 2017, so sorry, I neglected to do a search. This is the first time the charge has happened to me so thatís why I posted my question about it. And yes, it would be different if I was like you and actually using the FreedomPop service, but I am not. As a matter a fact none of the FreedomPop sims have ever even been put into any of my phones. They are still sitting in the same envelope they were sent to me in. So the fact that I am not even using their service and almost a year later my credit card is being charged, even just $.01 is very concerning to me.
    It didn't happen to everybody, and it didn't happen on every FP account. It was quite a while after others started reporting it before I got any $0.01 charges, and I didn't get it on all my accounts.

FP made a change not too long ago making it easy to cancel right from your online account. If that's something you would like to do, it can be done online in just a few clicks.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Thank you for posting that link. I do appreciate it!

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    And today there is a $1.01 temporary hold on my Amex today. I donít know if itís going to stay, as itís not showing in the billing section of my account.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop $.01 charges

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    And today there is a $1.01 temporary hold on my Amex today. I donít know if itís going to stay, as itís not showing in the billing section of my account.
    I just checked my credit card and I had another $.01 charge show up today too. However, you said youíve been charged $1.01? I wonder why weíve been charged different amounts?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL, Pixel2, s9+, s8+, s8, Axon 7, Jelly Pro, etc
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, sprint, RP/vzw, RP/tmo, TF/att, FP, Tello, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    You need to make 5 minutes of calls and use 5MB of data every 30 running days, or else you are "eligible" for the 1c charge. Not always, but sometimes.

I was hit with a 1c charge a month or so ago, and sure enough, I missed using one of the above by a day or two. I was also hit by the ton of them several months ago.

Part of the reason for doing this is to make sure a valid credit card is on file. Several deals from eBay used the seller credit card and then they deactivated it. Another part of the reason is to keep you from using it as a glove box phone.

Yet other annoying thing is that if you use a few MB, and then use more on a given day (say 60MB), your account gets flagged and data shut off until you log in to the website and turn it back on.
    --
    CellGuru

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I just checked my credit card and I had another $.01 charge show up today too. However, you said youíve been charged $1.01? I wonder why weíve been charged different amounts?
    I am as puzzled as you are. I have 2 accounts, and each one has 2 SIMs, one of which has paid rollover and other has no paid rollover (or any other paid features). All receive 700MB if new data each month, and the paid rollover accounts have a bunch of carryover data.

Historically, Iíve had $0.01 preauthorizations from time to time, but donít recall being charged the penny more than once or twice. My rollover gets charged for the two rollover subscriptions every month but today isnít even close to a billing date for those, so perhaps itís another anti-abuse measure as maybe the penny per-authorizations arenít sufficient for some reason.

Letís see if that $1.01 converts over to a real charge rather than just a pending charge... then it should show in the billing for one of my numbers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    You need to make 5 minutes of calls and use 5MB of data every 30 running days, or else you are "eligible" for the 1c charge. Not always, but sometimes.

I was hit with a 1c charge a month or so ago, and sure enough, I missed using one of the above by a day or two. I was also hit by the ton of them several months ago.

Part of the reason for doing this is to make sure a valid credit card is on file. Several deals from eBay used the seller credit card and then they deactivated it. Another part of the reason is to keep you from using it as a glove box phone.

Yet other annoying thing is that if you use a few MB, and then use more on a given day (say 60MB), your account gets flagged and data shut off until you log in to the website and turn it back on.
    Well I have never used any of my SIM cards I got from FreedomPop and until now Iíve never been charged this $.01 charge. These charges started for me on 4-8-18 and have continued, 1 a day up until and including today. They have all been $.01, once a day, so Iíve been charged a total of 5, so far. I sure hope thatís it. I guess Iíll know tomorrow when I check my credit card activity again then.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop $.01 charges

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I am as puzzled as you are. I have 2 accounts, and each one has 2 SIMs, one of which has paid rollover and other has no paid rollover (or any other paid features). All receive 700MB if new data each month, and the paid rollover accounts have a bunch of carryover data.

Historically, Iíve had $0.01 preauthorizations from time to time, but donít recall being charged the penny more than once or twice. My rollover gets charged for the two rollover subscriptions every month but today isnít even close to a billing date for those, so perhaps itís another anti-abuse measure as maybe the penny per-authorizations arenít sufficient for some reason.

Letís see if that $1.01 converts over to a real charge rather than just a pending charge... then it should show in the billing for one of my numbers.
    I have two showing ďOn HoldĒ on my credit card activity for 4-11 and 4-12 but the other 3 for 4-10, 4-9 and 4-8 all say ďCompletedĒ so I guess FreedomPop got $.03 from me so far. I was just a little shocked when I decided to check on my credit card activity, which I do periodically just as a precautionary measure, and when I saw ďFreedomPopĒ I was like, what the hell??? Thinking to myself, Iíve never even used those SIM cards and thought I closed out those accounts. I guess I didnít...

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL, Pixel2, s9+, s8+, s8, Axon 7, Jelly Pro, etc
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, sprint, RP/vzw, RP/tmo, TF/att, FP, Tello, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    I did have several $0.01 in a row on one of my accounts (one SIM), and they were all reversed except one. Guess that "bug" is still there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast