Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking At Moving From Straighttalk Due To No Wifi Calling

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Straight TAlk
    Feedback Score

Looking At Moving From Straighttalk Due To No Wifi Calling

I am currently on the unlimited plan. I have been fairly happy with Straight talk and they let me tether which is important for me.

The issue I am running into though is wifi calling. There are a couple places I go regularly that I do not get coverage. (ATT network) So, I really wish wifi calling would work. I went to the straighttalk website where they say you can check if your SIM is compatible. Mine was not so I contacted them about a SIM exchange as directed. I was told my phone is not compatible. So, I asked for a list of phones that ARE wifi calling compatible. They said they have no such list, they can only tell me if the phone is capable once it is activated!

That makes no sense to me to have to buy a phone, activate it and then see if it is wifi calling compatible.

So, unless you guys know of a ATT network phone that works with Straight talk wifi calling, I would be interested to hear what other vendor you think would be a good match for me.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    As I understand it, NO AT&T MVNO offers WiFi calling.

As I understand it, Cricket, owned directly by AT&T, using only their phones, does.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Straight TAlk
    Feedback Score
    And I'll bet cricket doesn't support tethering. That would be my luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrosco View Post
    I am currently on the unlimited plan. I have been fairly happy with Straight talk and they let me tether which is important for me.

The issue I am running into though is wifi calling. There are a couple places I go regularly that I do not get coverage. (ATT network) So, I really wish wifi calling would work. I went to the straighttalk website where they say you can check if your SIM is compatible. Mine was not so I contacted them about a SIM exchange as directed. I was told my phone is not compatible. So, I asked for a list of phones that ARE wifi calling compatible. They said they have no such list, they can only tell me if the phone is capable once it is activated!

That makes no sense to me to have to buy a phone, activate it and then see if it is wifi calling compatible.

So, unless you guys know of a ATT network phone that works with Straight talk wifi calling, I would be interested to hear what other vendor you think would be a good match for me.

Thanks!
    If you want WiFi calling on straight talk, Tmobile side offers it, and I believe Verizon does too. Straight talk Tmobile also offers volte calling... I'm in a similar situation with network (at&t). I was thinking about switching to the Tmobile side for wifi calling+volte. Just not sure it's worth giving up at&t net10 for those benefits on net10 Tmobile.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Looking At Moving From Straighttalk Due To No Wifi Calling

Cricket offers Wi-Fi calling. Check their compatibility list to see if you qualify. Also, they offer tethering on their $60 unlimited plan for $10 a month. Allowance is 8 GB I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score

Thanks!
    At&t = very old school and/or stingy with mvnos.

Feedback Score
    I would look into witching to a provider that has coverage, ask people around. For example TotalWireless uses Verizon's network, it might be better.
    WiFi calling is not that great IMO. If you leave that building you lose connection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I would look into witching to a provider that has coverage, ask people around. For example TotalWireless uses Verizon's network, it might be better.
    WiFi calling is not that great IMO. If you leave that building you lose connection.
    Since I use Google voice as my main number I never saw much value in carrier wifi calling, although unlike hangouts/GV VoIP, carrier wifi calling is prioritized so I can definitely see the draw, that plus volte.

Feedback Score
    Better to have a connection to lose than none at all.

Feedback Score
    And I'll bet cricket doesn't support tethering. That would be my luck.
    I have a unlocked S8 SM-G950U1, and I live in a small town in Wisconsin and I get LTE+ and tethering, unfortunately no wifi calling because it is not a branded phone.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One time it actually crashed my phone. On vacation. Waiting for my first Uber, called by Uber driver. Stepped out of the hotel, then lost connection. And phone rebooted
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Better to have a connection to lose than none at all.
    Hangouts Dialer with Google Voice number solver that unlikely issue.

Feedback Score
    Hangouts Dialer with Google Voice number solver that unlikely issue.
    What I meant was carrier wifi calling as a no extra cost option beats any app/work around from Google.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I had WiFi calling before and it sucked. Start a call inside a store on WiFi and get dropped when you walk to your car.
    Now, with WZV's band 13, I have coverage inside the same stores that previous carrier, due to using band 4 (higher frequency, less penetration), needed WiFi assist.

Hangouts and Google's Voice number are free too. WiFi calling is not "free", you usually pay a premium for the plans that have that option.
    Unless is Republic Wireless, then you have to deal with coverage from T-Mobile or Sprint.

Having a carrier with less coverage everywhere else just to get WiFi calling to me is not a good deal, that's why I got a Verizon based MVNO.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Le Eco Le Pro 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thanks!
    You can't get WiFi calling without first manually registering and enrolling your number in the service. As another poster said, it probably is not supported on the AT&T side. It still wont hurt for you to try and register your number for the service and see what happens. The site that TracFone brands like Straight Talk use to register WiFi calling numbers is here https://e911-reg.tracfone.com/wps/portal/home/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast