Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you rich folks do for a living?

Feedback Score

What do you rich folks do for a living?

I can't help but feel really jealous reading some of the post on this forum, there are people on here that buys new smartphone every year, like come on now, what line of business are you guys doing to afford all these luxuries? I'm just tired of working a 10 hour degrading shift job, so many things I want to do in my life that I can't do

Feedback Score
    I'm unemployed at the moment.

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : “Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” Leo Buscaglia : “With God, all things are POSSIBLE.” Mark 10:27

Feedback Score
    Online surveys and mow lawns with a manual push mower.

I'm livin' the dream baby!!

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

What do you rich folks do for a living?

I don’t consider myself rich (cost of living is expensive in L.A.) but I buy the latest iPhone every year (actually bgt the 8+ because I didn’t like the X) and give previous version to my son. I’m an accountant and the misses is a teacher.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LaziestBeingAli View Post
    I can't help but feel really jealous reading some of the post on this forum, there are people on here that buys new smartphone every year, like come on now, what line of business are you guys doing to afford all these luxuries? I'm just tired of working a 10 hour degrading shift job, so many things I want to do in my life that I can't do
    There is a wide spectrum of folks here on HoFo ranging from people who get free government paid cell phones and service to people who truly can afford to buy a $800 phone every year. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Personally I work as a computer systems analyst. That does not pay enough for me to consider myself rich, but I am comfortable. I could afford to buy a $800 phone every year, but I don't. That would be wasteful. I don't spend money or give it away. I invest it and avoid budget busters. Why anyone would spend $800 for a phone to jam in their pocket with coins and keys, drop or lose is beyond me. My several years old $130 flagship phone works well enough.

Channel your anger into a plan to get ahead. Since you and I were not born into wealth delayed gratification is a fact of life.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    The richest person I know drives a beat up old clunker everyday and gets used phones all the time. He sometimes gets a new phone but not that often.

He actually looks poor when buying a slurpee with dimes but he does have a nice house and one nice car in the garage (a brand new Corvette)

Feedback Score
    Me and the wife consider ourselves frugal and penny-pinch wherever we can to save money. I do like shopping online but I try to get the best deals possible including cash back if I can. Like I added three lines to my T-Mobile plan and got $105 cash back, plus the plans won't cost me nothing each month so it was a money maker.

I also needed a new phone pretty bad as my old AT&T phone that I was using on T-Mobile was pushing 4 to 5 years old and was stuck on official Android 4.4 KitKat without any hope of being updated. It was a wonderful phone for its time, even had better specs then the Samsung Note 2 but the Note 3 beat it in specs. So I splurged a little bit and picked up two of the lgv30 phones for T-Mobile because they were on BOGO special. It's only costing me 30 more per month for 2 years for me and the wife to have two really nice phones. Plus by purchasing them through Costco I got to $25 Costco cash cards along with two portable rechargeable battery packs. LG also had to free mini projectors by mail in rebate for buying the phones along with a second year warranty for free. But I also picked up a mint condition T-Mobile LG v20 for $142 off of eBay with last month's 20% off coupon. I probably shouldn't have gotten it considering I just bought the new v30s but I wanted to get one of those since it came out last year but I couldn't afford it financially, it still is a very powerful phone plus has some other features that the v30 doesn't have like the IR remote removable battery and the secondary display screen. I figured it would be a good backup 2nd phone or maybe to use when I'm out working on something and don't want to damage my my new phone. But I've also been given free phones and even garbage picked old phones that people to Simply throw away that I could sell online or sell for scrap value. I also picked up a ZTE quartz smartwatch for T-Mobile along with 2 Verizon wear24 smart watches on eBay. I sometimes feel guilty that I shouldn't be buying all this unnecessary stuff but I do often buy it either used for new after it's been discontinued or clearanced. I guess I have a weakness for phones and other Tech stuff and consider myself a tech Junkie LoL .

I guess what I'm saying though is you could be frugal and even poor and still have some nice things as long as you Shop Smart and know what you're doing to get the best deals out there. But I'm not selfish if I find a great deal on something I'll help the next person get the same great deal that I did and share my information with them I think that's fun as well to help other people at the same time!! Ron.

Feedback Score
    It's human nature to be jealous, totally ok.

Being broke sucks, we've all been there. Your situation is not permanent, in fact, there's only one direction from here: up. If you need help with money, pm me, or go to AlphasCCards on reddit. You won't become a millionaire, though, but a comfortable thousandaire like us degenerates lol.

My only advice to you is, don't quit your job, since you're tired of your current job, look for a less strenuous one as a front to mask your source of income, doing otherwise is just begging for Uncle Sam to look into your case.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Re: Why anyone would spend $800 for a phone to jam in their pocket with coins and keys, drop or lose is beyond me.

I'll say why I do:
    1) I use my iphone every day for banking, investing, communicating, share data on my iMac and Mac Book Pro, etc. Yes, I can probably get by with a cheaper phone, but I could've also bought a Ford Focus and not my 30K car.
    2) I pass my phone down after one year to my son.
    3) I don't spend hundreds on gambling or other vices.
    4) I use screen protectors to protect from keys and coins and have Apple Care for damages.

But instead of being jealous (OP), stay in school or go back to school. Education is the key to success!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Online surveys and mow lawns with a manual push mower.

I'm livin' the dream baby!!

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4
    I’m not rich by any means but I was able to buy the iPhone X at full price at launch. I never do contracts or leasing etc. Right now I’m on the free one year sprint plan so the phone paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I was rich but my ex wife bankrupted me, I divorced her now. I am not rich anymore, working part time job. My iPhone 6S was my sister's phone, she sent it to me when she upgraded to the X

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    You'll find a lot of those "rich folks" who always buy the latest phone are constantly neck-deep in debt, just managing to make monthly payments on a long list of expensive toys. They often post questions on how they can switch to a cheaper carrier without having to pay off thousands of dollars worth of phone payments.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Edge, LG V10, Iphone 6S plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    I get a new phone every couple of months. Currently I have a galaxy S9 plus, galaxy S8 plus, LG V30,LG V20, and IPhone 6s plus. My mom still uses my note 3 and dad has my V10. I am a salaried manager for The Home Depot

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobilenatl View Post
    I get a new phone every couple of months. Currently I have a galaxy S9 plus, galaxy S8 plus, LG V30,LG V20, and IPhone 6s plus. My mom still uses my note 3 and dad has my V10. I am a salaried manager for The Home Depot

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    It gets addicting and fun collecting these electronic device toys we call phones. LoL I think my wife would get mad at me if I had as many phones as you do? But I buy most of mine either used or mint condition and usually get the best deals that I can find. So do you actually switch phones out like a person would switch out which shoes they're wearing for the day? Also what carrier do you use?

I've got a decent collection myself but most are really outdated & not worth much anymore, some where also given to me & some I garbage picked. Thanks Ron.

PS: my most phones is the lgv30 and the v20. The V 30 I got on T-Mobile buy one get one deal, the v20 I bought mint condition on eBay for $142 with a 20% off coupon. I may get the Note 8 when the note 9 comes out in the price drops more. Over 500 is still way too much to buy a new phone I believe.

Device(s)
    sony xperia
    Feedback Score
    I feel you man i used to work shifts too, was really good at what i did but truth is as long you are working for somebody you will be makng money for them. Their kids will go to college and walk into a better job than you had. I made a tough decision a year ago to walk out, drop all the certianty of a stable job because in my own reasoning growth excitement was far more important than security.

I realised the best trick to making money, is making money off of people trying to make money.

That being said entrepreneurship is not for everybody, not that you cant learn these things but more in that many people dont realise its harder than working for someone else. You have to put alot of time into it more than you ten hour shifs are taking up now.

When your business hits tough time you will have to find a way out there is no management to cover that for you.

Its depends on your personality and ambitions in life. Im not saying walk out of your job... but start a venture on the side... many rich folk from what ive seen also have their hands in many different ventures not just a single one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast