Thread: FCC fines T-Mobile for faking rings in poor service areas

Feedback Score

FCC fines T-Mobile for faking rings in poor service areas

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    That is no good

In other words, it stinks TMobile would do that

Have any other carriers been fined for similar?
    Last edited by wilbur101; 04-16-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    I can understand not wanting dead Air, but instead of faking rings, they should have a message saying “please stand by while we’re attempting to connect your call” or something like that. Verizon does that when calls take longer to go through.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I can understand not wanting dead Air, but instead of faking rings, they should have a message saying “please stand by while we’re attempting to connect your call” or something like that. Verizon does that when calls take longer to go through.
    Yeah a message like that would be better. I'd rather it tell me what's going on instead of fake rings

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    That’s crazy if true. :-(
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Obviously it's true.

"As the FCC estimates it, and T-Mobile later confirmed"
    And

*"The company admitted it had done so "hundreds of millions" of times over the years"

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "Please wait, while the NEXTEL subscriber you are trying to reach is located".

Maybe it's time for a similar message for T-Mobile?

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    There's also more to it than just the fake rings, they also got busted not connecting phone calls to customers served by 3 rural carriers.
    https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=20470

"T-Mobile failed to connect calls to customers served by three rural phone companies in Wisconsin."

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentCarl View Post
    There's also more to it than just the fake rings, they also got busted not connecting phone calls to customers served by 3 rural carriers.
    https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=20470

"T-Mobile failed to connect calls to customers served by three rural phone companies in Wisconsin."
    There are rural carriers in Iowa (and maybe also Wisconsin) that are permitted to charge higher interconnection fees. They use this to set up "free" virtual "chat" or "conference" rooms. You call into the conference room and they make about 5˘/min for everyone there.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    There are rural carriers in Iowa (and maybe also Wisconsin) that are permitted to charge higher interconnection fees. They use this to set up "free" virtual "chat" or "conference" rooms. You call into the conference room and they make about 5˘/min for everyone there.
    I dunno, based on the report TMobile was warned about it, said they fixed it and then when more complaints came in was found to have not fixed it. I'm not sure what TMobiles excuse for not connecting them are.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    "Please wait, while the NEXTEL subscriber you are trying to reach is located".

Maybe it's time for a similar message for T-Mobile?

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app
    You beat me to that but I remember that when I had Nextel from 2001 thru 2005 time frame and that would help for ALL carriers cause I have a few friends that use T-Mobile & MetroPCS and I notice that I had a few times when calling my friends that there was a delay or so.
    Phone: AT&T Galaxy Note 8
    Plan: AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line $225.00/mo. For 6 Devices
    Ins: AT&T Multi-Device Protection Pack $34.99

Airtouch: (VZW Now) 9/1997 - 7/2001 (Micro T-A-C Lite II Retired & Still Have 2 This Date) & Motorola SC-725 Retired
    Nextel: 7/2001 - 10/2010 (i2k+, i95cl, i860, i930, & i680 Retired)
    Sprint: 6/2008 - 12/19/2017 (ic902, v950, Blackberry Bold 9650/9930, Galaxy Note 2, 3, & 4 Retired)
    Airave: 06/2010 - 12/19/2017
    AT&T: 12/19/2017 - Current

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    I remember a long-ago discussion about AT&T (or Cingular) vs Verizon, and how the CDMA carrier generated ringing tones that did not necessarily match the ringing of the receiving phone (like landlines would). Supposedly, GSM carriers passed-through the same rings from the receiving phone and of course, did match.

But, technology advances and phone calls are much more digitally manipulated, now.

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is fraud, and the worst part is that those affected are not receiving any compensation, which is outrageous.

I just switched over from AT&T to T-Mobile on Sunday with 5 devices, because AT&T was over charging me for services I wasn't using, and bad customer service. I have no contract with T-Mobile, but I am not going to make a move right now. If I do end up switching, I will go with Verizon, because AT&T really pissed off

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm disappointed in TMobile. Sounds like they were doing it for a long time

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I'm disappointed in TMobile. Sounds like they were doing it for a long time
    I'm with you. They got caught and now they have to pay. It's irritating similar to the way it felt when the US carriers were caught sending our info to the NSA without our knowledge.

As long as they don't do it again I won't have continued heart failure over it. I would however like to see them make a public statement about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast