Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Updating Lumia 925 Windows phone

I dug out a Nokia Lumia 925 to take on a trip as a spare phone. It had been factory reset and now I'm updating a lot of apps. The app Store seems to function but it takes forever to update factory-installed or download new apps. Is this the new normal for Windows phones? The phone was also very slow to register with my Windows ID (hotmail account), etc.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe, Nexus 4, Lumia 650 dual sim
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Same thing happened to me. I dug out my old Lumia 640 to give to my mother in law ,to get her by for a few days, till she got a replacement phone. So, I decided to wipe and reset the 640 to factory settings first. Well, the few apps I put on it either took for ever to download, or did not download successfully. She used the phone for only a couple of days. Stuff just did not work for her...

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I dug out a Nokia Lumia 925 to take on a trip as a spare phone. It had been factory reset and now I'm updating a lot of apps. The app Store seems to function but it takes forever to update factory-installed or download new apps. Is this the new normal for Windows phones? The phone was also very slow to register with my Windows ID (hotmail account), etc.
    It seems to come and go. Sometimes the MS app store is really quick, and sometimes it dribbles data at few Kbps. Maybe just a coincidence, but it seems to happen when you're hitting it hard for a lot of data at once (last time I noticed it was a few weeks ago when I recently wiped and restored a Lumia and the 50 or 60 apps were taking so long to reinstall I gave up and left it overnight. Everything was back by morning.)

Given how much MS has f----ed over all of the Windows Phone users, I assume they're not worried too much about inconveniencing the last 7 or 8 of with slow store performance.

Every time I pull out one of my Windows Phones I realize what an absolutely horrible OS Android is (from a user/UI perspective, anyway.) Windows was just smooth, easy, and fun. If only MS left Android APK support in W10M (it was there in one early test built) I'd be back on Windows in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    It seems to come and go. Sometimes the MS app store is really quick, and sometimes it dribbles data at few Kbps. Maybe just a coincidence, but it seems to happen when you're hitting it hard for a lot of data at once (last time I noticed it was a few weeks ago when I recently wiped and restored a Lumia and the 50 or 60 apps were taking so long to reinstall I gave up and left it overnight. Everything was back by morning.)

Given how much MS has f----ed over all of the Windows Phone users, I assume they're not worried too much about inconveniencing the last 7 or 8 of with slow store performance.

Every time I pull out one of my Windows Phones I realize what an absolutely horrible OS Android is (from a user/UI perspective, anyway.) Windows was just smooth, easy, and fun. If only MS left Android APK support in W10M (it was there in one early test built) I'd be back on Windows in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    I agree. Just broke out my Verizon lumia 735 and running it on att. It's smooth and the battery life is much better than my Android phones and it doesn't lag like Android also. After using it I don't want to go back to Android but Android has so many more options

When I turned it on first thing it did was mention an update which I didn't expect. I have older Motorola Android phones still stuck on kit Kat

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I broke my Android phone, so I'm back using my 925 until I can either get my other phone fixed or replaced (probably the latter). I can't do anything with the Store because my Microsoft account "needs attention" but when I log in on the PC, everything looks fine. I really hate this because the Lumia is such a great piece of hardware. It's just the OS that causes problems.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I broke my Android phone, so I'm back using my 925 until I can either get my other phone fixed or replaced (probably the latter). I can't do anything with the Store because my Microsoft account "needs attention" but when I log in on the PC, everything looks fine. I really hate this because the Lumia is such a great piece of hardware. It's just the OS that causes problems.
    I am sure you have verified that you are typing in the password correctly. If all fails, may be deleting the Microsoft account, if possible, will help.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
    I am sure you have verified that you are typing in the password correctly. If all fails, may be deleting the Microsoft account, if possible, will help.
    Yes, I did get the Microsoft account to go from "Needs Attention" to "Not up to date" but still get "The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now." when I try to download an app from the store. It may have something to do with the fact that the 925 is forever stuck on Windows Mobile 8.1, rather than 10.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, I did get the Microsoft account to go from "Needs Attention" to "Not up to date" but still get "The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now." when I try to download an app from the store. It may have something to do with the fact that the 925 is forever stuck on Windows Mobile 8.1, rather than 10.
    Yeah. It may be a Windows mobile 8.1 issue. Honestly, even if you get past that, there is no guarantee the app you are trying to download will be functional. Majority of the apps there barely work with windows mobile 10.1 that I have on my Lumia 650. A cheap or even used Android device may be your best option for now.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    the phone won't get anymore updates - https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/11/...-support-ends/

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the phone won't get anymore updates - https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/11/...-support-ends/
    I understand that. I'm just frustrated by the fact that many features (e.g. Skype, the Store) seem unusable.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I understand that. I'm just frustrated by the fact that many features (e.g. Skype, the Store) seem unusable.
    I hate to even suggest the nuclear option, but is it worth trying a hard reset and logging in from scratch?

One of the fatal flaws of Windows Phone was the inability to log out of and back in to the primary (first) Microsoft account on the device. I've had to nuke and restore many a Windows phone because my MS email, contacts (or, more often, usually OneDrive!) would inexplicably stop syncing, and the only way to get it going again was to reset because you couldn't log out and back in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk