Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My kids need new phones---under $100 each

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    350
    Feedback Score
    0

    My kids need new phones---under $100 each

    My 2 kids both need new phones. They have ZTE Blade Sparks and are currently on Airvoice $20 plan. One's screen is completely broken (she wasn't using her case, which is her fault, but nevertheless I do want her to have a phone and we will be making sure she uses the case this time). The other kid's phone has always been glitchy. Despite being the same model as the first teen, it has always had trouble with not storing things correctly, not allowing him to use some apps, etc. Anyway, regardless of the reasons they both need new phones, but I guess I am trying to say I don't want to spent a lot of money on them. I am thinking if they want to work on saving birthday and holiday money (which wont happen until much later) they can put that towards a better phone if that's what they want to do.

    The ZTE Blade Spark is on sale at Best Buy for $69.99. Any other ideas? I am looking to eventually change them from Airvoice, but don't want to spend more than $20/monthly. They don't need data, but I do want them to at least have unlimited text and prefer the unlimited talk. AT&T is the best carrier for us. We could make due with T-mobile it it meant we could get a phone for free that we can later unlock and then switch (it works fine very locally, but not as much in some outer areas that they may sometimes travel to with school). Verizon works great, but I hesitate to switch to the company that is generally more expensive for what may be a temp. good deal.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,723
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'd keep your eyes open for a deal on unlocked Motos like the E4/E4+. The new models are just being released so we might see some good clearances on the older models. Budget unlocked Motos are really solid phones that can work on Verizon and AT&t. H2o is another good At&t $20.00 unlimited choice and Total Wireless is pretty good for Verizon service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    237
    Feedback Score
    0
    Huawei Ascend XT 2. $69 at Walmart. Should on any AT&T MVNO.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,915
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I'd keep your eyes open for a deal on unlocked Motos like the E4/E4+.
    I second that motion. My old faithful E2 quit ringing although I could see calls on the display and feel the vibration. After much unsuccessful troubleshooting I replaced it with the E4 and I couldn't be more pleased. I even bought one for my wife whose G4 had "mechanical problems" I guess you could say. Anyway, I needed a phone right away and didn't have much time to shop around so I spent $125 for the unlocked version at BestBuy.com. $250 well spent since we'll keep these phones for years, I trust. Maybe you can find the E4 for less on sale at a brick and mortar store or after the new phones come out.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,473
    Feedback Score
    0
    considering the e5 is right around the corner, there might be some good closeout deals on the e4

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    considering the e5 is right around the corner, there might be some good closeout deals on the e4
    People have been saying that for months, even when the price actually jumped last month.

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,473
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    People have been saying that for months, even when the price actually jumped last month.
    what people? lol.
    The 16Gb version is going for $130 now.
    Even if the price jumped last month it isn't any more expensive now than what it originally retailed for.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    350
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the replies! I bought them both another ZTE Blade Spark for $69.99. They needed the phones quickly and I knew they were there.

    I am going to check out current H20 rates as far as service...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I bought them both another ZTE Blade Spark for $69.99. They needed the phones quickly and I knew they were there.

    I am going to check out current H20 rates as far as service...
    Good phone for the $$, not many sub $100 phones have a fingerprint reader.

    Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,303
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    My 2 kids both need new phones. They have ZTE Blade Sparks and are currently on Airvoice $20 plan. One's screen is completely broken (she wasn't using her case, which is her fault, but nevertheless I do want her to have a phone and we will be making sure she uses the case this time). The other kid's phone has always been glitchy. Despite being the same model as the first teen, it has always had trouble with not storing things correctly, not allowing him to use some apps, etc. Anyway, regardless of the reasons they both need new phones, but I guess I am trying to say I don't want to spent a lot of money on them. I am thinking if they want to work on saving birthday and holiday money (which wont happen until much later) they can put that towards a better phone if that's what they want to do.

    The ZTE Blade Spark is on sale at Best Buy for $69.99. Any other ideas? I am looking to eventually change them from Airvoice, but don't want to spend more than $20/monthly. They don't need data, but I do want them to at least have unlimited text and prefer the unlimited talk. AT&T is the best carrier for us. We could make due with T-mobile it it meant we could get a phone for free that we can later unlock and then switch (it works fine very locally, but not as much in some outer areas that they may sometimes travel to with school). Verizon works great, but I hesitate to switch to the company that is generally more expensive for what may be a temp. good deal.
    A really great deal for UT&T&Data (5GB LTE/30 Days) is https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...t/132544686405 for $240/360 Days, which works out to $20/30 Days.

    There were recently 20% off and 15% off eBay coupons, making that plan either $192 or $204, respectively, which made that great deal even better, so you could wait for another eBay coupon to come along if you want.

    That particular deal is good for activation on the AT&T or Sprint networks ONLY, vs any of the 4 major US networks, like most of the other Red Pocket plans.

    But if the AT&T network is what you're looking for, then that's a hard plan to beat!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2018, 11:18 AM
  2. my mom needs new phone/advice please
    By finalgadget in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
  3. New phones under $100 w/ contract?
    By AndrewGS in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 12:32 AM
  4. need new phone under $250, Bluetooth, 850
    By Guest 203 in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 09:41 AM
  5. WTB: brand new phone under 100..
    By Azn-Style in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 04:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks