Thread: Am I using VoLTE or not?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Am I using VoLTE or not?

First I'm not even sure what VoLTE is or does, and in fact I don't have to know. But from what I understand, it is superior to what came before it which was...3G? 4G?

Anyway, I recently purchased two new unlocked Moto E4s for myself and my wife which have Android version 7.1.1, and no, I don't know what sweet treat nickname that uses. (But I'm waiting for them to get to X just to see what dessert item the wiz kids can come up with that begins with the letter x.)

I simply popped my Red Pocket GSMA SIM card in my phone and she popped her Boom! mobile Red (VZW) SIM card in her phone and after doing a normal set-up, both phones are working perfectly.

But are we using VoLTE? I noticed that the E4 Plus (but not the E4) is on the list of Boom! VoLTE compatible phones. So maybe hers won't do VoLTE.

Is there a setting on the phone itself that allows VoLTE or is this something the carrier has to do? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Make a call. If it stays on LTE you have VoLTE working. I've used an E4 with VoLTE but not on Boom. But it should work. I think you have to contact Boom to enable it.

Feedback Score
    Just a short explainer: the carriers were using LTE just for data, but when you make a call it drops down to 3G. On some phones you can see the change in your status bar.

VOLTE carries your call over the LTE connection (there's more to it but that's the basic idea).

It has several advantages: The call can be clearer, you may have better reception on some carriers which have areas of LTE coverage without 3G coverage (mostly TMobile), and you can use high-speed data and voice at the same time.

Sometimes you can actual end up with a worse sounding call using VOLTE if your carrier has a solid 3G connection but spotty LTE coverage.

Bottom line, if your calls sound good, and you don't have any issues with simultaneous data +voice, then don't bother worrying about whether it's VOLTE or not.

Feedback Score
    On VZW network, without VoLTE, the voice call drops the connection to 1x, so... no Internet.

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    First I'm not even sure what VoLTE is or does, and in fact I don't have to know. But from what I understand, it is superior to what came before it which was...3G? 4G?

Anyway, I recently purchased two new unlocked Moto E4s for myself and my wife which have Android version 7.1.1, and no, I don't know what sweet treat nickname that uses. (But I'm waiting for them to get to X just to see what dessert item the wiz kids can come up with that begins with the letter x.)

I simply popped my Red Pocket GSMA SIM card in my phone and she popped her Boom! mobile Red (VZW) SIM card in her phone and after doing a normal set-up, both phones are working perfectly.

But are we using VoLTE? I noticed that the E4 Plus (but not the E4) is on the list of Boom! VoLTE compatible phones. So maybe hers won't do VoLTE.

Is there a setting on the phone itself that allows VoLTE or is this something the carrier has to do? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Place a call, and attempt to surf the web, if it works simultaneously then volte is enabled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Feedback Score
    Is a phone showing 4G during calls on Cricket using VoltE? My ZTE V8 has a toggle to enable VoltE. It says "Use 4G HD calls when supported by carrier's network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post
    Place a call, and attempt to surf the web, if it works simultaneously then volte is enabled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That test will only be valid if the WiFi is turned off, or if there is no WiFi network available/connected, when placing the call.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That test will only be valid if the WiFi is turned off, or if there is no WiFi network available/connected, when placing the call.
    It also only applies to the Verizon network. One of the OP's lines is on Red Pocket GSMA (AT&T) and that supports simultaneous voice and data on their 3G network.

To OP: You should find a setting "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" under Settings -> More -> Cellular networks.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    To OP: You should find a setting "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" under Settings -> More -> Cellular networks.
    I'm not seeing that setting but I'm using VoLTE because I see the LTE indication when I make calls.

Name:  HoFo screenshot.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  18.5 KB

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I'm not seeing that setting but I'm using VoLTE because I see the LTE indication when I make calls.
    I assume that's on the Boom line on the Moto E4. You could try installing the Network Mode app and toggle the setting from there. But there's probably no point if you're seeing LTE while you're making a call.