Thread: Porting out but don't want to lose prepaid balance

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Porting out but don't want to lose prepaid balance

I am maintaining an old 10 cent per minute plan for my mother with a $200 balance. I am considering porting the number out to another provider, but I don't want to forfeit that money.

I was thinking about adding another line and converting it to a monthly plan just to kill off the balance.

Are there any better ideas?

TIA

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Why are you porting the number out? Only way to keep the account active is to have a line open.

Feedback Score
    I would expect that you could port out existing and get a new number to continue using your current balance. Best to ask AT&T CS and confirm that in writing via chat.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    I assume that you are considering porting out because of need of more features (data?) and/or coverage, not cost of minutes given the accumulated balance. Even if your plan of adding another line works, you'd get stuck with maintaining that extra line (which I doubt at&t would allow to be in the 10cent plan)

But as tfusr19 said, get a confirmation in writing (chat, email etc.) from at&t before proceeding. Transferring balances from one number to another is not too easy and one needs a helpful representative and luck too.

Worst case, I'd switch that account to the $35 plan so your mother gets some data as well (if she uses a smartphone). The balance could last for 5 months (or six with autopay which wouldn't kick seems there is a balance). Think of 6 months of free unlimited voice/text service with 1GB /month, AND THEN you port the number out.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Why are you porting the number out? Only way to keep the account active is to have a line open.
    I am maintaining 2 prepaid accounts (one for mom on AT&T prepaid and the other for another relative on Cricket). AT&T sounds like hot garbage and I am considering another network.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    I assume that you are considering porting out because of need of more features (data?) and/or coverage, not cost of minutes given the accumulated balance. Even if your plan of adding another line works, you'd get stuck with maintaining that extra line (which I doubt at&t would allow to be in the 10cent plan)

But as tfusr19 said, get a confirmation in writing (chat, email etc.) from at&t before proceeding. Transferring balances from one number to another is not too easy and one needs a helpful representative and luck too.

Worst case, I'd switch that account to the $35 plan so your mother gets some data as well (if she uses a smartphone). The balance could last for 5 months (or six with autopay which wouldn't kick seems there is a balance). Think of 6 months of free unlimited voice/text service with 1GB /month, AND THEN you port the number out.
    She has been fine without data, I had her tethered to a Comcast wifi hotspot (but she has no data ATM and she doesn't really need it)

If I add another line, I could just let the money be burned off.

Coverage is fine, but the call quality is hot garbage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I had a similar situation on T-Mobile a while back with a prepaid Gold Reward account with a hefty balance. Since porting immediately closes the account and kills the balance, IIRC what the Customer Service rep did was open a second account with a small balance, move the number to the new account, and assign a new number to the old account. If they're hesitant, tell them you want to move the number to Cricket and don't want to lose the balance; they shouldn't have a problem doing something for you if they think you're moving to another AT&T product. I would also probably not tell the rep their network sounds like "hot garbage".

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just an update

I added a second line and I burned off most of the balance. This exercise took 4 months to complete.

Realized I probably should have waited a couple of months longer to before I started this. Line 2 was on the $45/month plan. The original line was put on the $30 plan. I moved line 2 to its own plan a couple of weeks ago. I changed line 1 to a $0.25/minute plan. Since the money was going to expire next week, I went ahead and refilled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk