Thread: Your thoughts on the progression of Freedom service and what's in their future?

Feedback Score

Your thoughts on the progression of Freedom service and what's in their future?

Just looking for some feedback for those who have been using Freedom Mobile for some time...

I have 2 lines [1 Freedom, the other Bell]. I use Bell for business and Freedom is just more or less a desk drawer phone or has been for the past year. I was tied with a dealer principal for Freedom Mobile, received the line and with all promotions and discounts, pay $22.50 for their old $50 plan which includes:

- Canada/USA calling
    - Unlimited SMS/MMS
    - World Saver Add-on
    - 10GB of data (Canada)
    - All calling features (voice mail, missed call, call waiting, 3-way)

- 2,400 USA Roaming minutes
    - 1GB USA Roaming data

I was going to cancel the line as it's not in use but I contacted Freedom this morning and after speaking with their loyalty team, they essentially provisioned me onto the LTE network and not believing this could be done, tested out the device and voila, it shows LTE and a speed test confirms this.

I'm not sure how much superior LTE is compared to their old network but my Bell line has the same features as listed above but my price plan is $60 monthly and $7 per day while I'm in the USA.

Although the Bell plan is nice, I'm really contemplating using Freedom exclusively but am leery as to coverage while in Canada. Roaming is just fine but I have a couple questions...

I travel a fair amount to remote areas and I remember in past, sometimes you could not get a connection, even if roaming. Is this still an issue?

Roaming in the USA is fine and I cannot foresee exceeding 2,400 minutes if on vacation or business. 1GB of data is limited though and I remember in past, if you used this amount, you would be throttled to practically a 300 baud modem lol... Is there additional packages you can add or can you revert to PPU rates should this occur or are you limited with data ability?

I don't require 2 lines and although my price point is fantastic with Bell, I'm thinking Shaw will step up their game but the question is whether it will be with Freedom or if Freedom will remain a sub-brand while Shaw introduces their premium service?

If you have been using Freedom for some time, how has your experience been, do you use Freedom for personal and/or business and what do you think the future holds?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score

Your thoughts on the progression of Freedom service and what's in their future?

Shaw definitely have to step up their game through Freedom. Otherwise, it’ll eventually die. Unless Shaw themselves start offering cellular services.

Sent from my iPhone X on Fido’s network using Tapatalk Beta.

Feedback Score
    Your bell plan is really good, but it's hard to beat your freedom plan in terms of price. That said, I'd still take bell any day for the given plan you have and your situation of going to remote places frequently. I'm currently in Nunavut and I'm with Koodo on the 40 for 6gb public Mobile migration plan... Had I been with Rogers or its flankers or freedom, I would've had no service up here for 2 weeks at a time.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 LE
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Freedom's roaming in Saskatchewan is disappointing. Unfortunately, there's no roaming agreement's with Sasktel who have most of the coverage in the province

Sent from my STH100-1 using HoFo mobile app
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

Carrier(s)
    Public / Freedom / T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Freedom's US Roaming is pretty good. I was down there for a month and ended up using 8GB...had the laptop tethered and everything. This was on the Promo 50 plan with 1GB roaming.

From my notes:

First throttle 1GB 256 KB/s
    Second Throttle 1.5GB 128 KB/s (50% excess of plan allotment)

128 KB/s is actually fast enough for low resolution youtube streaming lol.
    Freedom Promo Everywhere 50 - 35% FNF = $32.50 (Unlimited CAN / USA Roaming Calls and Data)
    Public Mobile 30 - $2 Autopay - $5 Loyalty = $23 (Unlimited Calls + 500MB)

Feedback Score
    After some thought, I'll keep both lines. Bell is a fantastic deal based on their $60 price point since the same plan is over $100 if I was to sign up today. The price for Freedom Mobile is unheard of and they can only, hopefully improve. I'll keep an eye on things and make a decision down the line. My decision was based on a conversation with the retention's team at Bell Mobility.

They said with Mobility, the Canadian market dominates with 3 major carriers [Bell, Telus & Rogers]. The discount brands are just a spin of the major carriers and should Freedom ever progress to a point of sustainability, the major carriers and/or their discount brands will price adjust accordingly to accommodate the market and ensure they remain on top. Somewhat of an arrogant statement but it's business and as the representative (whom I must say knew their wireless) said...

"The major carriers received free licensing back in the day from the Government. This does not mean excessive amounts of money have not been put into building out and maintaining a network and this, sir... costs money. We used to bill for airtime and long distance and with changing technology, this became obsolete. We now charge for data and roaming and roaming is gradually becoming less expensive so data is our only real option for profit. As any business, we need to make profit. As such, we will continue operating as usual and change when and only when required to. Rest assured, if data became affordable like minutes/long distance/roaming have, we would be nothing more than a landline market which has essentially died but that's the joy of wireless, there will always be something which will be the new forefront of technology which we can 'bill for'. Freedom Mobile has made it's mark and unaware of the direction Shaw will take their purchased wireless division, I speak for all major carriers... we will follow and ensure we price match and in the end, Shaw will stand with us or remain a discount/limited provider".

I cannot agree more with the comment but it's just sad how there's no real Canadian competition and our Government will not allow for it!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_mitch View Post
    Freedom's roaming in Saskatchewan is disappointing. Unfortunately, there's no roaming agreement's with Sasktel who have most of the coverage in the province

Sent from my STH100-1 using HoFo mobile app
    So do you have any roaming coverage when you are there or.....?

Sent from my [BlackBerry Keyone] using HoFo mobile app
    Lucky Albertan who has the promo loyalty $50 8gb lte plans = $33 each with discounts. And am not moving to new plans without my 1GB data roaming Canada and USA. Love for the Blackberry KEYone

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When in Sask, You get roaming where Rogers has coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If i were you, I would hold onto that Freedom Line as well.

I have one myself and paying such a cheap rate for that plan is amazing. I wouldn't let it go.

I keep it for my home use as well or if we hav out of country guests visiting, I just let them use it for their time here with us rather than having them get another sim.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by A310 View Post
    Your bell plan is really good, but it's hard to beat your freedom plan in terms of price. That said, I'd still take bell any day for the given plan you have and your situation of going to remote places frequently. I'm currently in Nunavut and I'm with Koodo on the 40 for 6gb public Mobile migration plan... Had I been with Rogers or its flankers or freedom, I would've had no service up here for 2 weeks at a time.
    You would’ve had service...Rogers-EXT which is Rogers roaming on Bell.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomMobile
    Feedback Score
    Freedom is doing good here in my area (Brampton Ontario) Before I was only getting LTE on certain area using old iPhone 6s and 6s+ now they have LTE connection. As of today no complain for the service sometime .

Sent from my LG-H873 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    After a year with Freedom Mobile, I've found the LTE, voice and texting coverage is very good in the HOME networks of Calgary and Edmonton and is excellent in Vancouver.

As for AWAY network coverage I only speak to texting. I deliberately switch off mobile data when in an AWAY zone to avoid extra charges and rarely placed a phone call when I was in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon or Victoria. All my sent texts made it to their recipients.