Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The inside story of how Verizon didnít launch the first iPhone

Attachment 157703

AT&T famously launched the first Apple iPhone in 2007, and the GSM-based device stayed exclusive to AT&T in the United States for five full years.

But, according to a new book by Verizonís Ivan Seidenberg, the carrierís management did meet with Appleís Steve Jobs before Apple launched the first iPhone with AT&T, and the companyís management attempted to get Jobs and Apple to build a CDMA version of the gadget for Verizon.

Jobsí response? ďNah, I donít think so.Ē

Thatís one of the many revelations in Seidenbergís new book with contributor Scott McMurray, ďVerizon Untethered: An Insider's Story of Innovation and Disruption,Ē available May 1. Seidenberg was CEO of Verizon from 2000 to 2011. (In fact, Seidenberg stepped down as the companyís CEO in the same year that Verizon and Apple announced that the smartphone vendor would build a CDMA version of the iPhone for Verizon.

Read the whole story here: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...h-first-iphone
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Personally I think Apple lost a lot of potential revenue by not going with a Verizon iPhone as well back in 2007.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T made out like a bandit. They had exclusivity for 3 versions.
    Carrier History:
    Verizon Wireless 3/2019 -
    AT&T 12/2017 - 3/2019
    Verizon Wireless 8/2016 - 12/2017
    T-Mobile 4/2016 - 8/2016
    AT&T (formally Cingular) 12/2001 - 4/2016

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I used to work for Verizon Wireless way back. I mean way back during the Motorola T-720 days when a clamshell with a colored screen and partially functional BT was all the rage.

I still speak to some of my former coworkers who still work there and they are still of the opinion that Apple came to Verizon and that Verizon didn't want it because it didn't meet Verizon's "high quality standards," whatever that means.

This story definitely brought some clarity and yes AT&T (then Cingular) totally hit gold with this game changer.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

The rumors back in the day were that Verizon and Apple didnít work out because Verizon like to strip features off of phones and charge consumers to get them back monthly (ie. visual voicemail, email, ring tones, etc.). This phone put the manufacturer in charge and not the carrier.

Apple wasnít going to give Verizon that kind of control. Verizon wasnít going to take it without that control.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue2007 View Post
    The rumors back in the day were that Verizon and Apple didn’t work out because Verizon like to strip features off of phones and charge consumers to get them back monthly (ie. visual voicemail, email, ring tones, etc.). This phone put the manufacturer in charge and not the carrier.

Apple wasn’t going to give Verizon that kind of control. Verizon wasn’t going to take it without that control.
    That's the story I always heard -- at the time, Verizon tried to customize as many aspects of each device to monetize as much as they could. Apple wanted to control the user experience, and insisted that the device remain stock, without any carrier bloatware. Thinking back, Verizon was ahead of its time with app store (called Get It Now) -- it was the highlight of the red Verizon interface that dominated all of the phones at the time (think V3m) -- most of us here found the interface overly simplistic but the general population didn't seem to mind...

Given that every Verizon device looked almost alike at the time, I'd say Apple made the right choice by saying no to customizing the user experience and continued to "Think Different"...

Feedback Score
    What I heard was that Verizon wanted to put their start up logo on the phone when you start the phone up and because they made a stink about the start up logo and apple didnít agree with it thatís why they kept denying a deal. At least what I heard back then

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    What I heard was that Verizon wanted to put their start up logo on the phone when you start the phone up and because they made a stink about the start up logo and apple didn’t agree with it that’s why they kept denying a deal. At least what I heard back then
    LOL no way.

I still remember mock up illustrations showing a big red swoosh mark on the back of the iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    By iPhone 4 Verizon finally realized they needed the iPhone in their line up.

You can love Apple or you can hate them. You can not deny the iPhone changed the whole game.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I think it all happened the way it was supposed to happen.

We see who came around right...
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    AT&T's network was hammered and couldn't support the devices. Verizon likely would have been too at the time.
    Since then there were several other smartphone OSes most now defunct or never caught on. Android has mainly won out owning most of the market but iOS is by far the 2nd largest.

You really only have two smartphone OS choices today Android or iOS while others are available they have only a very small fraction of the apps available as most developers will only write for one or both of the two largest platforms.

Android and iOS both have strengths and weaknesses.
    Android:
    +Brand new apps will still work on years old android versions.
    -Super fragmented as many devices can't be updated due to poor carrier support.
    -Many devices don't even get a full year of updates.
    +Cheap not in quality but in price
    -IME can't swipe through a 1000 pictures quickly have to go slow and wait for the thumbnails to load.

iOS
    +Little fragmentation most devices are kept as up to date as possible.
    +multi year support.
    -multi year support device get's noticeably slower with newer versions
    -Usually if a new app comes out it can't be installed unless you have the very latest iOS version so if your device isn't in current support you quickly miss out.
    -apple premium cost, missing basic features like a headphone jack
    -still has that stupid iphone/ipad app separation due to reliance on using fixed screen sizes.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizonís 3G was unusable compared to AT&T however the first iPhone was 2g. Wonder if that played a factor?

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Verizon would have fared better than AT&T with the data onslaught, but not a whole lot better. It took Verizon years to get a fully functioning iPhone on Verizon, as the 4 and 4s were cripples on Verizon, and the 5 and 5s were getting closer, but they didn't get all the way there until the 6.

The AT&T exclusivity deal is what made Android. If Apple had launched on Verizon and AT&T, I believe Android would be 3-5 years behind where it is today. Verizon's push of Android through the Motorola DROID series was foundational to what Android has become. If it were the other way around, with the iPhone going to Verizon, Android would be at least 2 years behind where it is today, as Verizon had THE NETWORK back in the day, the legendary CDMA/EVDO network that was bigger and better than all others. It's that power that propelled Android to success.

And no, T-Mobile's joke of a phone with a chin and a horrible network is not what made Android successful.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Verizon would've done what they did...

SIT ON THE SIDELINES AND BE THE ANTI-CONSUMER CLOWN THEY ARE.

"What do you mean we can't put our logo on the phone!?" ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Apple would have struck gold with launching on AT&T and Verizon.
    Android only got ahead because Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon had to hock the OS to have a smartphone lineup in place.

Windows Mobile was still stagnant so we donít even count Microsoft.

Letís not forget T-Mobile didnít get the iPhone until the iPhone 5.

Sprint didnít get it until the 4S, which launched alongside the year-old CDMA iPhone 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast