Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The inside story of how Verizon didnít launch the first iPhone

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    AT&T's network was hammered and couldn't support the devices. Verizon likely would have been too at the time.
    Since then there were several other smartphone OSes most now defunct or never caught on. Android has mainly won out owning most of the market but iOS is by far the 2nd largest.

You really only have two smartphone OS choices today Android or iOS while others are available they have only a very small fraction of the apps available as most developers will only write for one or both of the two largest platforms.

Android and iOS both have strengths and weaknesses.
    Android:
    +Brand new apps will still work on years old android versions.
    -Super fragmented as many devices can't be updated due to poor carrier support.
    -Many devices don't even get a full year of updates.
    +Cheap not in quality but in price
    -IME can't swipe through a 1000 pictures quickly have to go slow and wait for the thumbnails to load.

iOS
    +Little fragmentation most devices are kept as up to date as possible.
    +multi year support.
    -multi year support device get's noticeably slower with newer versions
    -Usually if a new app comes out it can't be installed unless you have the very latest iOS version so if your device isn't in current support you quickly miss out.
    -apple premium cost, missing basic features like a headphone jack
    -still has that stupid iphone/ipad app separation due to reliance on using fixed screen sizes.
    You miss the fact that some premium brands do not have the issues you describe on Android.
    I don't have any issues waiting for pictures to load on my Essential PH-1 and I have thousands.
    I get monthly security updates. I also have the latest OS.
    It really depends on vendor.

A couple of you also dismiss the BlackBerry.
    If RIM had stopped playing around and put a real browser on their phones and evolved the Storm line, we would be in a different place.
    The Storm was a good first attempt.
    The Storm II was good, but lacked a real browser.
    There was a BlackBerry app store.

They didn't look at the market and develop the platform.
    I jumped ship to a Droid X.

I stuck with Android because Apple was late with larger screens.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Ironically, this sounds similar to the original Moto Razr that was introduced on At&t. They got at least a 3 yr exclusive on that phone as well. I am not sure if it was for similar reasons or not.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Ironically, this sounds similar to the original Moto Razr that was introduced on At&t. They got at least a 3 yr exclusive on that phone as well. I am not sure if it was for similar reasons or not.
    Probably helped that they were GSM as most of the world was. Even T-Mobile had it before the V3M came about.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Personally I think Apple lost a lot of potential revenue by not going with a Verizon iPhone as well back in 2007.
    When you think about it, it had to be GSM to work around the world. Had the phone have flopped, they would have had more to lose. Remember,iPhone was their last hope at that time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

The inside story of how Verizon didnít launch the first iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    When you think about it, it had to be GSM to work around the world. Had the phone have flopped, they would have had more to lose. Remember,iPhone was their last hope at that time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    There was no reason after the iPhone 3G not to have CDMA. It was a worldwide hit. Instead, AT&T took on an influx of customers and by summer of 2010, if you wanted an iPhone you had to have AT&T (which was still buckling under the immense load). I think AT&T knew that only a few short months later Verizon would he getting it. Suddenly they invested into their network. By summers end Chicago was blanketed with consistent 3G, and service in the subway lines etc.

Apple let Android catch them quickly by alienating to one carrier. They could have opened it up to T-Mobile US. Granted they were much smaller at the time, a few million more iPhones in the wild wouldnít have hurt.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrell89 View Post
    There was no reason after the iPhone 3G not to have CDMA. It was a worldwide hit. Instead, AT&T took on an influx of customers and by summer of 2010, if you wanted an iPhone you had to have AT&T (which was still buckling under the immense load). I think AT&T knew that only a few short months later Verizon would he getting it. Suddenly they invested into their network. By summers end Chicago was blanketed with consistent 3G, and service in the subway lines etc.

Apple let Android catch them quickly by alienating to one carrier. They could have opened it up to T-Mobile US. Granted they were much smaller at the time, a few million more iPhones in the wild wouldnít have hurt.
    Even in 2010 in Chicago 3G was still crap. A lot of sites still ran T1ís right up until LTE rollout and were perpetually slow as molasses, this was not just in suburbs but downtown too. They did have the best coverage at the time though.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, I guess I am going to pour gas onto this fire. I worked at an Apple supplier at that time, and yes, we had a working CDMA iPhone prototype (as well as a GSM version). Of course, the CDMA version died (went no where). The "water cooler talk" at the time, was that AT&T and Apple reached an exclusivity agreement, which is what pulled the plug on any further CDMA iPhone work.

BTW, let me define "working" as being able to make and receive phone calls. I had no personal knowledge of any "smart", app, or data functions working (or not) at the time.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Even in 2010 in Chicago 3G was still crap. A lot of sites still ran T1ís right up until LTE rollout and were perpetually slow as molasses, this was not just in suburbs but downtown too. They did have the best coverage at the time though.
    I lived in the city. It was consistent but painfully slow when everyone started jumping onto the iPhone.
    I remember getting on the blue line every day and loosing service at the tunnel after Damen. Makes me grateful for the coverage we have today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2