Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Google stops supporting XMPP on June 18th!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    As of this writing I've still got Obi firmware v3.2.1 and Chat is still showing at GV Legacy. Friday is almost over!
    Try doing ***6 from an Obi connected phone. It may say no update available, but let them know you are ready.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    As of this writing I've still got Obi firmware v3.2.1 and Chat is still showing at GV Legacy. Friday is almost over!
    And you have Auto Firmware Update enabled? The post I read from a Google employee was the "hope" was it would all be done by Friday. It certainly wasn't set in concrete.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    My 'Method' is set to 'Periodically,' and dialing ***6 tells me no update available.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    My 'Method' is set to 'Periodically,' and dialing ***6 tells me no update available.
    http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.p...89408#msg89408

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well I think I'll give it until Monday. I don't look forward to deleting, re-adding, and reconfiguring the box.

Update (less than one hour later):

Whaddya know! I accessed the device through its embedded web page (you know, its IP address on my home network), and checked the firmware version again. It was 3.2.1. I then clicked the Reboot button at the upper right of that page and watched the Obi's lights do a quick dance, then checked again. No change. Then I either refreshed the page or went to a different one and back, and checked the firmware version, and it had changed to 3.2.2! So I guess that's done.

Now, I have waiting on my phone(s) the latest update to GV (as tfusr19 noted in another thread). Does that update include the new VoIP calling features of the Beta that's been talked about, or is that still on a sign-up basis? There's also a Hangouts update. I'll just update 'em all and see what happens.

Update 2: Did the GV and Hangouts app updates, then went to my account's GV Legacy Settings for a check, and Chat is now gone and my ObiTalk device is showing (which undoubtedly the Obi firmware update prompted, not the app updates). Good deal. Still wondering about the GV VoIP calling. I don't want to sign up without verified assurance that it doesn't conflict with the Obihai device (regardless of the firmware update).
    Last edited by whacker; 05-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I won't be exploring this until the 2nd week of June. I'm hopeful some other method will come about that doesn't rely on obitalk portal. By then maybe this new firmware will be leaked and/or modded so downgrading is possible, ssh, etc.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Got my first inbound call with the updated setup.

As another user (taoman54?) posted, CNAM is now being displayed on my connected cordless handset (caller's name with number), and (and I hadn't expected this) my setting in GV for Call Screening prompting me to press 1 to answer the call (working on mobiles but up till now not through the Obi) is now happening on handsets connected to the Obi. So all is well. Smooth, and kudos to Google and Obihai for their ability to do so.

Now just have to see how the GV app beta progresses (for mobile VoIP calling).

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I won't be exploring this until the 2nd week of June. I'm hopeful some other method will come about that doesn't rely on obitalk portal. By then maybe this new firmware will be leaked and/or modded so downgrading is possible, ssh, etc.
    Naf just posted something that supposedly is a:

"config example for a non-obitalk non-XMPP GV setup on SP1 using 5859-arrynrob7"

If you go for it please post your results!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup.. I saw that. Also saw the obifirmware site updated (mentioned this a little bit ago on dslr.... look for the 1.21jigawatts avatar). I'm uneasy to be a guinea pig here because both of my units are out of warranty.

I'll wait for a few other confirmations before flashing. For now no issues with either device (200/202) using xmpp/own oauth2 creds. All ota garbage (inc obitalk) is disabled. I even changed the useragent string, so as far as google is concerned it's something non obi connecting to it (unless there's other hidden strings which reveal more detail about the client).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T), Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Do we think this will be the day that GV VoIP goes live for everyone then?

Still got on the Beta yet, keep checking the app every day.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S6 on Net10 (AT&T)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    Do we think this will be the day that GV VoIP goes live for everyone then?

Still got on the Beta yet, keep checking the app every day.
    I don't know. But until the GV app adds the ability to search and call from contacts through the GV app like I do from Hangouts, I don't really care. What a ridiculously basic feature for Google to leave out!

Device(s)
    LG X1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't know. But until the GV app adds the ability to search and call from contacts through the GV app like I do from Hangouts, I don't really care. What a ridiculously basic feature for Google to leave out!
    When I use the dialer in the GV app, it brings up any number in my contacts list that has numbers matching what I entered.. Not as easy as the contacts list, but easy enough..

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    When I use the dialer in the GV app, it brings up any number in my contacts list that has numbers matching what I entered.. Not as easy as the contacts list, but easy enough..
    Hmmm...that's interesting. Others have reported that it doesn't work that way.

Device(s)
    LG X1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hmmm...that's interesting. Others have reported that it doesn't work that way.
    Tried it on both my phones, same on both.. If I enter a 5, i get all contacts with a 5 anywhere in their number, when I enter 52, anything with 52 in it. does not appear to matter where the numbers are, but they have to be in the same order you enter them in. Like I said not as easy as a contacts list or search by name, but better then nothing.. I do have latest version of GV and I am on the wifi calling beta..

Device(s)
    LG X1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    It was reported to work by entering digits in
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...h-Google-Voice

Problem is if you've never interacting via Google Voice app with a contact, even though you find their contact information in the Google Voice app, you can't just click on it to message or call them. You have to memorize their displayed number, then use it in the appropriate other GV app screen to dial or message them.

I have this feeling that Google Voice app won't have an option to be the default dialer for whatever reason like it's too complicated for them to implement, but hopefully I'm wrong - we'll just have to wait and see.
    not true.. when i bring up the gv dialer, enter 928 (area code for my gv #) and then click on my number when it pops up, call goes through.. In messaging when i hit the button to start a new message, my entire contact list comes up and I can click on a name to send a message to it..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast