Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-Mobile and Sprint have agreed to combine in a $26.5 billion merger, creating a wire

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora415 View Post
    I meant the question as a conversation starter. And do think that in 2019-2021 we'll be seeing less deals.

But if I was to advocate for the devil, perhaps the long run is different,
    1) we're entering the era where the competition isn't only AT&T and Verizon, but also Xfinity and Comcast, etc.
    2) 5G rollout is a game-changer and for international competitiveness, US should be a first mover. The merger assists the US's voice in formulating 5G by concentrating the money pots needed to build it.
    Xfinity (Comcast) is just an MVNO on the Verizon network. There's very little chance that a MVNO (Xfinity or any of the others) can be more more profitable that the wholesaler it buys capacity from. MVNO's will be little more than niche players in this game, IMO.

As for 5g.....

"T-Mobile is in a unique position with 5G, with its unpopulated spectrum holdings and multi-spectrum strategy," the company said on February 27. "While other wireless companies must kick customers off their congested LTE networks to build out 5G, the Un-carrier is building 5G on wide-open airwaves."

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure, meanwhile, told investors in February that Sprint's "strong spectrum assets" will enable "Sprint to be the leader in the true mobile 5G." Sprint kept up the positive notes on 5G on February 27, claiming it would "deliver the nation’s first 5G mobile network in the first half of 2019."
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...wo-months-ago/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    Xfinity (Comcast) is just an MVNO on the Verizon network. There's very little chance that a MVNO (Xfinity or any of the others) can be more more profitable that the wholesaler it buys capacity from. MVNO's will be little more than niche players in this game, IMO.

As for 5g.....

They are garbage. I'd like my money back for buying the first WiMax phone with extra data charges for a network I never used 1MB of data on. June of 2010 - Sept 14. 30 mph etha @ $10 each plus the cost of the phone amd all other WiMax devices I got hustled into.

Suffice it to say, I don't believe they'll be the leader of 5G

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    They are garbage. I'd like my money back for buying the first WiMax phone with extra data charges for a network I never used 1MB of data on. June of 2010 - Sept 14. 30 mph etha @ $10 each plus the cost of the phone amd all other WiMax devices I got hustled into.

Suffice it to say, I don't believe they'll be the leader of 5G
    Agreed...but one of the rationales to get approval is that the merged company is vital to investment in the US' 5g infrastructure. However, both companies claimed otherwise two months ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post

As for 5g.....

Comcast is leveraging their WiFi position very hard. Imagine if they replaced all those XfinityWifi routers with say femtocells broadcasting licensed and unlicensed spectrum they would have a formidable network. They don't need to build a nationwide network, only one that sits inside their operational base. Verizon can be turned into their back-up network in the same way Sprint was the backup network for old MetroPCS and Cricket. They can break-even on mobile if that entices customers to bundle internet and cable.

Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Take their poor journalism with a grain of salt. The S8 and up for sure supports bands the say it doesn't. I didn't see a source, so I'm taking it as pure speculation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2