Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile and Sprint have agreed to combine in a $26.5 billion merger, creating a wire

Feedback Score

T-Mobile and Sprint have agreed to combine in a $26.5 billion merger, creating a wire

Feedback Score
    How do people in this forum think that this will effect Metro? Will they be less likely to offer discounts - free phones and/or 2 months of free service if you switch because Sprint and Boost are part of the merger, or the opposite, now that hey have more capital and bandwidth, will they compete more to get people away from ATT?

When T-mobile and Metro combined, the CDMA service that Metro used to use was phased out. Will Sprint & Bootmobile, CDMA service be phased out to?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora415 View Post
    How do people in this forum think that this will effect Metro? Will they be less likely to offer discounts - free phones and/or 2 months of free service if you switch because Sprint and Boost are part of the merger, or the opposite, now that hey have more capital and bandwidth, will they compete more to get people away from ATT?

When T-mobile and Metro combined, the CDMA service that Metro used to use was phased out. Will Sprint & Bootmobile, CDMA service be phased out to?
    CDMA needs to go. The fact that USA never got R-UIM really was just good for the cellular companies and hurt consumers. Also you had the JAVA/BREW incompatibility issues.

I thought this was a no go by the FCC before?

It is still two **** carriers. Might as well use Google Fi and you can USCC too. There is a reason all of them combined don't t have as many as the top 2.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Sprint was going to phase out CDMA anyway, so that won't be a concern. If anything, it will speed up the process. CDMA is the new PCS in the phone industry. With a number of phones that Boost offers being able to be used on Metro, and with the growing number of unlocked phones that have most if not all LTE bands in them, all that's needed is a Google Fi ICCID card and the transition will be seamless for many customers. I'm interested in what doors will be kept open and if this will force AT&T to offer better deals on prepaid or just concede to the new company.

Feedback Score
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/29/...sprint-merger/

Verizon's 116.2 million
    AT&T's 89.3 million
    Sprint 54.6 million
    T-Mobile 39 million

I think this is almost certain to raise prices.

This would make t-mobile and sprint the #2 carrier so they will raise their price as soon as they can to above At&T prepaid and cricket so AT&T will be the underdog with the lowest prices.

You already saw how t-mobile prepaid raised prices a lot just because they were doing better recently.

They might still keep the separate brands so they can make it look like there is more competition.

I hope it is rejected by the government because it would be bad unless you like higher prices.

Feedback Score
    How would this merger affect Metro's coverage? Right now Metro is useless to me but Sprint has much better coverage in the areas I frequent. I traveled all over upper Michigan with a Metro line and rarely had service but my Sprint line was pretty good. Cricket's coverage is very solid but I'd be up for a change if I wouldn't lose any voice coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/29/...sprint-merger/

Verizon's 116.2 million
    AT&T's 89.3 million
    Sprint 54.6 million
    T-Mobile 39 million

I think this is almost certain to raise prices.

This would make t-mobile and sprint the #2 carrier so they will raise their price as soon as they can to above At&T prepaid and cricket so AT&T will be the underdog with the lowest prices.
    There's a lot of numbers thrown around regarding subscribers and it seems a few news outlets are missing some - AT&T has started breaking out its consumer and business wireless customers into separate numbers - as of last week's earnings, they have 89.3m consumer and 55m business lines. In the 3rd quarter of 2017, AT&T had 138.8m when they counted the two together. I suspect Verizon's numbers were similar.

This is also a pretty good comparison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vice_providers

Nonetheless, even together, T-Mobile/Sprint will be a strong third-place competitor that would be in spitting distance of moving into second.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    This announcement has made me so happy that I’m taking up heroin again.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    This announcement has made me so happy that I’m taking up heroin again.
    With all the money you make from flipping phones. Haha

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    With all the money you make from flipping phones. Haha

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app
    MetroPCS/TMO has been very good to me. If it wasn’t for the Metro $50 iPhone SE promo last Fall, I would never have tried out the vastly improved TMO network.

The rest is history.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

I think you are answering your own question: there will be absolutely no incentive for TMO to price aggressively with Sprint gone. All they'll be required to do is stay cheaper than AT&T.

For that reason, and because many analysts doubt it will fly, I think this merger will get shot down.

By the way: does TMO really think that MVNOs are "competition"?

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Hum, interesting. Somebody smarter than me maybe can explain if the deal is worth only 26 bil, whose going to pay off Sprint't current debt which of around 39+bil which works out to about a thousand per subscriber.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-sprint-merger

The New-Tmobile will be the 3rd largest carrier after the merger...

Most important quote:

It is critical for T-Mobile and Sprint to get the credit for creating these jobs in the overall 5G economy. Otherwise, it is hard to see how regulators will allow a merger that lays off tens of thousands of American workers in order to allow a German and Japanese company to compete better with two American companies. So in the end, this is about jobs.
    With the way the world is right now this will be a important hurdle to overcome... This merger will kill sprint and thus closing down tons of sprint & boost. Making tens of thousands of people unemployed, what do we do about them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    I think you are answering your own question: there will be absolutely no incentive for TMO to price aggressively with Sprint gone. All they'll be required to do is stay cheaper than AT&T.

For that reason, and because many analysts doubt it will fly, I think this merger will get shot down.

By the way: does TMO really think that MVNOs are "competition"?
    I meant the question as a conversation starter. And do think that in 2019-2021 we'll be seeing less deals.

But if I was to advocate for the devil, perhaps the long run is different,
    1) we're entering the era where the competition isn't only AT&T and Verizon, but also Xfinity and Comcast, etc.
    2) 5G rollout is a game-changer and for international competitiveness, US should be a first mover. The merger assists the US's voice in formulating 5G by concentrating the money pots needed to build it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast