Thread: AT&T selling your contact info??????

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto G LTE, Samsung Rugby Smart Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T selling your contact info??????

Today i received a text message from a politician who was seeking a political contribution. The text addressed me by name.
    How would a politician get my cell phone number and my full name associated with the phone number????
    I have very few accounts where i have my cell phone listed as a method to contact me. Most are financial institutions.

Feedback Score
    There are so many ways. Once there's a hole....
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Can you prove that At&t is selling your information or did you just pull that out of thin air? You could have filled out a survey that included your cell phone # or any multitude of ways that your information could have been easily obtained. Let's not turn this thread into a conspiracy theory with no proof.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post
    Today i received a text message from a politician who was seeking a political contribution. The text addressed me by name.
    How would a politician get my cell phone number and my full name associated with the phone number????
    I have very few accounts where i have my cell phone listed as a method to contact me. Most are financial institutions.
    Just for information, telephones calls from political organizations are immune from Do Not Call restrictions. Wireless customers may have an Opt-In for Caller Name ID with their carriers. Once you opt-in, the information is out there even if you later opt-out. It just might not be current. Since many people never change their wireless numbers, it may not make any difference about currency.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I didn't say they had sold the information. I was asking "IF" they did.
    I don't do survey's and i don't put my cellphone number on any accounts except banking and financial accounts.
    I have had this cell number since the late 90's.
    I do get the occasional spam call but i use HiYa and they handle those pretty well. But, this is the first time i have ever had a political text and having them use my full name just made me wonder how they got the name connection with the phone number.
    No conspiracy, just a question.
    Oh, and my cell number has not been put on the national Do Not Call list. Just my home landline.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Try googling your own number and see what you find.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Google my phone number-NADA
    Google my name -NADA
    I get results that are similar to my spelling, but no direct hits.

Device(s)
    nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    sprintpcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post

you , don't know, ..

but.. you , don't know..

you have right to wonder & ask, about how df your personal info is being leaked -

Comcast, AT&T, Verizon Pose a Greater Surveillance Risk Than Facebook

""Comcast, AT&T and Verizon pose a greater surveillance risk than Facebook -- but their surveillance is much harder to avoid," writes Salome Viljoen in an opinion piece for The Guardian.

From the report: "Facebook isn't the only company that amasses troves of data about people and leaves it vulnerable to exploitation and misuse. As of last year, Congress extended the same data-gathering practices of tech companies like Google and Facebook to internet providers like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon. Because service providers serve as gatekeepers to the entire internet, they can collect far more information about us, and leave us with far less power to opt out of that process. This means that the risks of allowing our internet providers to collect and monetize the same type of user data that Facebook collects -- and the potential that such data will therefore be misused -- are much, much worse. Your internet provider doesn't just know what you do on Facebook -- it sees all the sites you visit and how much time you spend there.

Your provider can see where you shop, what you watch on TV, where you choose to eat dinner, what medical symptoms you search, where you apply for work, school, a mortgage. Everything that is unencrypted is fair game. But internet providers don't just pose a greater surveillance risk than Facebook -- their surveillance is also far harder to avoid. 'Choosing' not to use an internet provider to avoid surveillance is not really a choice at all. As of 2016, only about half of Americans have more than one option for broadband internet. In rural areas, this number drops to just 13%."

we're all at the point now, where the motto is "trust no1", so no1 gets a pass from your suspicion, until proven otherwise..
    >:-,

"Quite ironically, denying microaggressions is a microaggression. It is mostly denied by a certain type of person who refuses to admit that their reality is different from someone else's, and that their actions and words have unfortunate consequences. It's just a way to invalidate the real claims of other individuals in order to justify maintaining their behavior.

So, a microaggression." - cuttercoats

*look in the mirror, share the world respectfully*

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    The only think I can think of is that a political organization on behalf a candidate got your personal information through the local county registrars office. If you are registered to vote, then changes are that State law allows political organizations to retrieve that information for the purposes of sending candidate campaign information, California allows political organizations to get a hold of your information for such purposes and I get such mailings around election time even though its obvious to them that the mail won't go to local address.