Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keep or Change UDP

Feedback Score

Keep or Change UDP

Hello,

I have a grandfathered UDP from 2011 on a single consumer line. I’m using an iPhone X and would like to add tethering.

I’ve thought about purchasing a separate grandfathered UDP SIM + aircard or MiFi for this purpose, but haven’t yet looked into price. Any thoughts on this strategy/what it might range?

Likely I’ll choose between adding tethering to my UDP for $30 since I don’t want to jailbreak my iPhone or otherwise switching to the new “unlimited” Verizon data plans that are throttled after 22? GB.

My question is will my current grandfathered UDP be throttled anyway or is there an advantage to keep it as is? I am paying about $150 for my one line after tax and discount and it would be nice to lower that.

Eager to hear your recommendations.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Glass View Post
    I have a grandfathered UDP from 2011 on a single consumer line. I’m using an iPhone X and would like to add tethering.
    You can add it for $30/mo. You can turn it off and on as much as you like for about $1/day.

otherwise switching to the new “unlimited” Verizon data plans that are throttled after 22? GB.
    On the new unlimited plans tethering is hard capped at 15GB/mo and counts towards the 22GB deprioritization threshold.

My question is will my current grandfathered UDP be throttled anyway or is there an advantage to keep it as is?
    gUDP is not throttled nor is it deprioritized regardless of whether the data is used on device or tethered, that is the advantage. Beyond UDP and February UDP are deprioriitzed at 22GB and tethered data is capped at 15GB.

I am paying about $150 for my one line after tax and discount and it would be nice to lower that.
    If you want truly unlimited, unthrottled, never deprioritized data on Verizon, it is expensive. If you want to lower your bill you can but it will come at the price of deprioritization after 22GB and a hard cap of 15GB tethered data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    There's really no more benefits paying that much when you'll get deprioritized after 22gb.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    There's really no more benefits paying that much when you'll get deprioritized after 22gb.
    gUDP is never deprioritized.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    You can add it for $30/mo. You can turn it off and on as much as you like for about $1/day.

On the new unlimited plans tethering is hard capped at 15GB/mo and counts towards the 22GB deprioritization threshold.

gUDP is not throttled nor is it deprioritized regardless of whether the data is used on device or tethered, that is the advantage. Beyond UDP and February UDP are deprioriitzed at 22GB and tethered data is capped at 15GB.

If you want truly unlimited, unthrottled, never deprioritized data on Verizon, it is expensive. If you want to lower your bill you can but it will come at the price of deprioritization after 22GB and a hard cap of 15GB tethered data.

But gudp video is throttled. But I still wouldn't give it up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    But gudp video is throttled. But I still wouldn't give it up.
    gUDP video is not throttled if you are using a VPN compatible with the video service/site you are accessing.

Sent from my XT1585 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by publicjesse View Post
    gUDP video is not throttled if you are using a VPN compatible with the video service/site you are accessing.

Sent from my XT1585 using HoFo mobile app
    That's correct. But you have to pay for a VPN, and you'll have slower speeds because of the VPN.

Feedback Score
    That's correct. But you have to pay for a VPN, and you'll have slower speeds because of the VPN.
    I have no throttling on any of my gdp lines in hotspots 🏻🏻

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun00000011 View Post
    I have no throttling on any of my gdp lines in hotspots 🏻🏻
    Verizon throttles video on every plan. Including the original unlimited data plan.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun00000011 View Post
    I have no throttling on any of my gdp lines in hotspots ����
    You absolutely do have video throttling unless you are using a vpn.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by publicjesse View Post
    You absolutely do have video throttling unless you are using a vpn.
    And verizon still only throttles the popular streaming apps. Many of the apps I use have no problem streaming at 20+Mb/s bitrates from my Verizon prepaid phone.

Feedback Score
    Verizon throttles video on every plan. Including the original unlimited data plan.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using HoFo mobile app
    I am never throttled either and I have continuously used an enormous amount of data monthly �� in my hotspots and I will NEVER GIVE UP MINE!!
    Last edited by quewhatts; 05-03-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Mistake

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quewhatts View Post
    I am never throttled either and I have continuously used an enormous amount of data monthly �� in my hotspots and I will NEVER GIVE UP MINE!!
    Are you being difficult on purpose? Your grandfathered plan absolutely does throttle video on phones. They don't throttle everything.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

As someone that went from the gUDP to the fUDP.
    I couldn't be happier.
    1. It's cheaper than my gUDP if you factor in the price hike.
    2. Tethering is included.

To address the hard cap and deprioritization.
    I'm at 42GB on the last day of my cycle and I just did a speed test.
    My results were 131Mbps down and 37.3Mbps up. So much for throttling.
    It may happen, but not enough to worry about. Remember, if the tower is congested everybody might get throttled.

Tethering? Yes you get capped at 15GB for LTE speeds then it goes to about 1Mbps.
    The OP doesn't tether now, so how bad is it going to be?

I agree with that last statement about getting true unlimited, etc is expensive.
    If you switch from the gUDP to the fUDP, it's a one way trip.
    I did it and it's been a nothing. The only exception is now I can tether without paying extra.
    For me tethering and paying $30 for each line is a big deal. I have 4 lines and 3 need tethering.
    That made the switch to the fUDP a no brainer for me. YMMV
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    2. Tethering is included.
    Capped at 15GB.

To address the hard cap and deprioritization.
    I'm at 42GB on the last day of my cycle and I just did a speed test.
    My results were 131Mbps down and 37.3Mbps up. So much for throttling.
    You aren't throttled for data used on device. You are deprioritized, which means you would only notice if the tower was congested. So when you did your speed test, the tower you were connected to was not congested. Deprioritization is not throttling.

Tethering? Yes you get capped at 15GB for LTE speeds then it goes to about 1Mbps.
    600Kbps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast