Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone won't unlock HSN bundle.

Feedback Score

Tracfone won't unlock HSN bundle.

Bought an HSN bundle with one year service a year ago. Trying to get it unlocked now but tracfone says that paying HSN doesn't count as paid service. That is not disclosed when purchasing. I filed a complaint with BBB but I doubt it will do any good. Also while I was in the process of trying to find out why they wouldn't unlock it, I got very rudely hung up on by a supervisor. I wasn't being rude just trying to get the reason instead of just being told the policy as is written on the website.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Was it activated? Or was it "harvested"?
    (Our) Phone History At-a-Glance:
    '08-on Tracfone (Vz) using:
    1. '17- : BYOP(Vzw)/UsC Moto E4
    2. '16-'17 : BYOP/Vzw HTC Desire 526
    3. '14-'16 : Huawei Glory H868C
    4. '12-'14 : LG800g
    5. '08-'12 : Motorola W376g
    '05-'08 Verizon & Sprint used: Moto Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    '03-'05 Alltel & Cingular
    '01 AT&T

Feedback Score
    Should not matter where you bought the service, it is still TracFone service. Keep with BBB (Miami?) and you also can file a complaint with FCC.

"Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported."

Why do you want to unlock it?

Feedback Score
    I bought it for my dad new from hsn.com. He was 82 at the time and this was his first smartphone. He also converted about 7000—8000 minutes from a tracfone flip phone he had had for several years. That converted to about 8 GB data which was more than enough at first. Then I put his AOL on his phone and he goes through 2-4 GB a month with silly emails with pictures his friends send him and other stuff. I'm constantly adding data to his phone and he goes thru his text messages too. I want to move him to my cricket account which will only cost $20/mo. He knows how to use his phone so it is easier if I don't have to teach him how to use a different one plus he already has the case and screen protector. It's a ZTE ZMax 2. I'd buy a ZTE Blade for him but I'm very hesitant to buy a ZTE right now when they could potentially loose Google Play access.

TracFone is great for certain usage patterns but it no longer makes sense for him. (At one point my family of 4 was all on tracfone but moved off to Cricket before tracfone added BYOD)

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    And you're going through this website?

https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rap1008 View Post
    Bought an HSN bundle with one year service a year ago. Trying to get it unlocked now but tracfone says that paying HSN doesn't count as paid service. That is not disclosed when purchasing. I filed a complaint with BBB but I doubt it will do any good. Also while I was in the process of trying to find out why they wouldn't unlock it, I got very rudely hung up on by a supervisor. I wasn't being rude just trying to get the reason instead of just being told the policy as is written on the website. Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
    what service does the HSN bundle use ?? (AT&T verizon or T mobile) if AT&T the phone might already work on cricket since cricket uses AT&T

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You have to have active service for x period of time (a year?) before they are required to unlock it. Just buying the phone without activating it doesn't count. I can't tell from your post of the phone you bought with the HSN bundle had been active for a year on TracFone.

Feedback Score
    Not sure. How do I tell?
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    what service does the HSN bundle use ?? (AT&T verizon or T mobile) if AT&T the phone might already work on cricket since cricket uses AT&T

Feedback Score
    Sorry thought I made that clear. Bought it a year ago. Actually activated on Easter 2017. Activated, came with 1 year service, plus transferred minutes from old phone. Dad used all the data that came with it plus transferred data so I've been buying more data several times a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    You have to have active service for x period of time (a year?) before they are required to unlock it. Just buying the phone without activating it doesn't count. I can't tell from your post of the phone you bought with the HSN bundle had been active for a year on TracFone.

Feedback Score
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post
    And you're going through this website?

https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Not sure. How do I tell?
    The easiest (if you don't have the phone in person with you)

Is entering the number in "who is my carrier?" website such as https://freecarrierlookup.com

Feedback Score
    Doubtful since the TracFones are locked to TracFone owned MVNOs. I've never heard of a TracFone that has worked on Cricket or non-TracFone MVNO for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    TracFone is great for certain usage patterns but it no longer makes sense for him. (At one point my family of 4 was all on tracfone but moved off to Cricket before tracfone added BYOD)
    Does not sound like TracFone is the service your dad needs with the heavy data use. Get a phone that runs on Cricket if that is your preference.

The ZTE situation seems to be they are shut off from buying essential US components, after repeated violations of reselling those components to belligerent nations. This can stop all production of their telecommunication devices. Choose another brand!

Feedback Score
    Not sure. How do I tell? Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
    sim card number first 6 numbers with those below: 890141 + AT&T (GSM) 890126 + T-Mobile (GSM) 891480 + Verizon (CDMA)

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    or non-TracFone MVNO for that matter.
    Well, there were all the 3G Verizon devices, like the L41C, used on other Verizon MVNO like Red pocket, Selectel, and Page Plus (before it was bought).

I can't think of any that use SIM cards though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast