Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: $5/mo flashed 4G (not 3g) - anyone can provide this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    edit: and to clarify, what I meant was that this is isn't a widespread occurrence or ebay would start cracking down it if gov't/verizon started getting noisy.
    ebay doesn't intervene unless someone flags a listing or unless someone is doing something very obviously illegal, like selling cocaine or something like that. I see all kinds of violations on ebay and ebay does nothing unless someone flags the listing.

Get back to me when you find one (I'm only asking for one) case of this $5/mo 3g/4g mifi flashing that has been prosecuted.
    Like I said Verizon is tolerating this for now. It's up to them to do something if they want to stop it. So far they have chosen not to. There is no guarantee they will continue to tolerate it forever.

You seem very sensitive about this.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Like I said Verizon it tolerating this for now. It's up to them to do something if they want to stop it. So far they have chosen not to. There is no guarantee they will continue to tolerate it forever..
    This puts a risk on the buyer since, at least for the 4G listing I saw, you were paying $250 for the hotspot. Which I assume is above market value for an unmodified hotspot. So, if Verizon "fixes" the account after a couple months, the money is lost.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    This puts a risk on the buyer since, at least for the 4G listing I saw, you were paying $250 for the hotspot. Which I assume is above market value for an unmodified hotspot. So, if Verizon "fixes" the account after a couple months, the money is lost.
    Exactly. Which is why this is a waste of money. A prepaid ATT iPad plan is a much better deal. Mobley would have even been better if it was still around.

Feedback Score
    ebay doesn't intervene unless someone flags a listing or unless someone is doing something very obviously illegal, like selling cocaine or something like that. I see all kinds of violations on ebay and ebay does nothing unless someone flags the listing.

Like I said Verizon is tolerating this for now. It's up to them to do something if they want to stop it. So far they have chosen not to. There is no guarantee they will continue to tolerate it forever.

You seem very sensitive about this.
    I'm really not. I'm a realist and I'm baffled how this is being blown way out of proportion.

And to test your theory, I just flagged the same ebay listing I posted earlier. Let's see what happens.

Feedback Score
    I'm really not. I'm a realist and I'm baffled how this is being blown way out of proportion.
    You definitely are.

And to test your theory, I just flagged the same ebay listing I posted earlier. Let's see what happens.
    I don't know what theory you are referring to. ebay isn't going to do anything unless Verizon steps in like I said. Go back and re-read what I wrote you are confused. You were implying that because these are on ebay that somehow proves it is legal. My point was that the fact that you can list it on ebay doesn't mean it is legal. Ebay won't be hiring a lawyer to flesh out the law on this so that was ridiculous of you to think that they would. Now if Verizon contacts ebay and tells them to pull the listings they will. Just like they did when Verizon told them to pull the gUDP rental listings.

Feedback Score
    You definitely are.
    I'm definitely not. I'm not the one writing armchair lawyer wall of text. No one cares about that, neither does Verizon or these plans would be long gone.

don't know what theory you are referring to. ebay isn't going to do anything unless Verizon steps in like I said. Go back and re-read what I wrote you are confused. You were implying that because these are on ebay that somehow proves it is legal. My point was that the fact that you can list it on ebay doesn't mean it is legal. Ebay won't be hiring a lawyer to flesh out the law on this so that was ridiculous of you to think that they would. Now if Verizon contacts ebay and tells them to pull the listings they will. Just like they did when Verizon told them to pull the gUDP rental listings.
    I'm confused? You said that eBay won't do anything until someone flags the listing, which I did. So now Verizon has to flag it? Which one is it? And I wasn't implying just because it's on eBay, it's always legal. You were inferring. The point I was making is that no one seems to care about this hack which is why they're all over eBay. And eBay doesn't need to hire a lawyer; they have a team of corporate lawyers. So it's ridiculous to think that they would flesh out the law on this? It took you a few minutes to find it and you seem to think that it's pretty black and white so if it is, then the listings should be removed right?

Also, why do I still see unlimited Verizon rental lines on eBay if what you say is true?
    Last edited by Archegos; 05-07-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: errors

Feedback Score
    I know what they're doing to offer the "Unlimited 4G" on these device. If you will notice, it is one specific MiFi device being sold. An older model, the Novatel 6620L. It has nothing to do with old 3G flip phones, although the previous $5/month 3G-only ones did. The prices are high and I certainly would not take a gamble on them at this point in time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrperkster View Post
    I know what they're doing to offer the "Unlimited 4G" on these device. If you will notice, it is one specific MiFi device being sold. An older model, the Novatel 6620L. It has nothing to do with old 3G flip phones, although the previous $5/month 3G-only ones did. The prices are high and I certainly would not take a gamble on them at this point in time.
    So what is the original device they’re using to flash to the 6620L? I’ve always seen 3g service before but 4g seems like it’s a new offering.

Agree. This is a gamble. Verizon can shut down service and you’re basically left with a paper weight.

Feedback Score
    So what is the original device they’re using to flash to the 6620L? I’ve always seen 3g service before but 4g seems like it’s a new offering.

Agree. This is a gamble. Verizon can shut down service and you’re basically left with a paper weight.

I'm not going to divulge any specifics here. Verizon doesn't need the assistance in figuring it out. It's really an exploit and not anything specific to what device is being used as the "donor" or anything like that. In fact, it's very different from the previous 3G models that were sold all over the place for the last several years.

Feedback Score

$5/mo flashed 4G (not 3g) - anyone can provide this?

Wow that was a hell of a read lol

IMO you fellas agree on 3 things, disagree on 1.

What you agree on:

1.) As with any law all we can do is speculate legality from history and interpretation of the text.

2.) Based on history it seems unlikely this would go to court, it’s more likely Verizon would simply turn off service.

3.) Based on interpretation of the text, it’s very possible to interpret the law in a way that, if Verizon really wanted to work with state and address this, they could. Ultimately, this COULD (probable or not) result in criminal court and anything that goes to criminal court can technically result in a conviction the only question is the probability of a conviction.

So on to what you fellas disagree on, probability of conviction.

Op1 thinks there is a low prob of conviction

Op2 thinks there is a high prob of conviction

End of story. No need to insult each other, just two different opinions regarding the outcome of an unlikely courthouse proceeding.

Feedback Score
    So I bought the device and I also own a unite explore with mobley sim and a 3g flashed 2200 on Verizon. Here's the side by side speed test. Name:  Screenshot_20180518-132221.jpg
Views: 2450
Size:  39.0 KBName:  IMG_0140.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  26.2 KBName:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  26.0 KBName:  IMG_0142.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  25.5 KB

Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Note that the phone next to the 2200 is to show it has 5 bars, while the unite explore(att) and 6620L (Verizon lte) both have 4. This was also on a spot which I knew both network shower excellent speeds

Feedback Score
    3g is pretty obvious but which one is Mobley and Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Mobley is second. It's tested based on picture. Mobley is the clear winner download wise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ishldknwbttr View Post
    Mobley is second. It's tested based on picture. Mobley is the clear winner download wise

Did you test fast.com? Is the prepaid 4g throttled?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast