Thread: Freetel Samurai Kiwami anybody using this 6" $100 Android?

Feedback Score

Freetel Samurai Kiwami anybody using this 6" $100 Android?

Freetel Samurai Kiwami anybody using this 6" $100 Android?
    Name:  sqqqqqqqqqqqq-l640.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  89.3 KB
    https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5093
    This feature-laden Android phone offers a quad-HD 6-inch screen, 21-megapixel main camera, large battery, fingerprint reader, and NFC.
    Other features include 8-megapixel front camera, memory card slot, and support for major U.S. LTE networks.
    FCC approved Feb 19, 2016

First came out at $400 now $100 USD.
    The questions I have are & things I've read:
    a) Is this a Japanese or Chinese phone? I've read both.
    b) Also read it's a Chinese spy phone transfering info to China & the only way to remove the spyware is to root the phone.
    c) The included charger heats up the battery. So it's best to toss that charger & use a name brand oem charger.
    d) It's glitchy, overheats, reboots & freezes.

So if anyone can provide answers to a, b, c & d I'd appreciate it. Oh if you can source the answers.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Well according to willmyphonework.net
    it won't work. I'm confused nowhere else was that mentioned.

Well according to this for AT&T it has all but B30 LTE bands. For T-Mobile it's only missing B66 & B71.
    https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...-united-states

I'm close to biting. Are you entertained yet?
    Last edited by zapjb; 05-05-2018 at 04:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    The questions I have are & things I've read:
    a) Is this a Japanese or Chinese phone? I've read both.
    b) Also read it's a Chinese spy phone transfering info to China & the only way to remove the spyware is to root the phone.
    c) The included charger heats up the battery. So it's best to toss that charger & use a name brand oem charger.
    d) It's glitchy, overheats, reboots & freezes.

a) Japanese design and Japanese company out of Tokyo. Assembled in China, as are virtually all cell phones these days.

b) I have no idea why anyone would think this. It's about as clean a version of Android as I've encountered out of the box, even though as shipped they're on 5.1 and over the air updating is not working.

c) I'd say the provided charger definitely makes the battery warm, but it's not all that much warmer than other devices that use 2.0A chargers. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it, though you can go lower output and slower charge and probably generate less heat.

d) Not my experience. I did have issues with the GPS not being able to keep a fix on one of them. It could, if you updated the A-GPS data, get a fix almost instantly, but if you turned the unit off or even exited the app that was using the GPS it would sometimes never get another fix if left to its own devices. Since GPS is a function I use a lot, I exchanged it for another. We'll see if that one has the same issue. I never had a freeze or reboot and certainly played with it and its features for enough days that I should have if one were to have wanted to occur.

If GPS were not important to me I would have kept the one I received originally. The device is beautiful to look at and hold. Definitely one of the best devices I've ever owned, and for under $100 it's definitely, by far, the best device I've ever owned. You can tell that this was intended as a flagship model. It's a shame that Freetel did not get any real traction in the US and appears to have withdrawn from the US market entirely. Their US website was taken down a while ago.

I had no issue whatsoever with cell reception or getting 4G LTE data speeds on the device on T-Mobile's network in my area.

One oddly annoying issue is the way the dual sim trays are arranged. If you want to be able to use a microSD card, then you must have a *micro* SIM, not a *nano* SIM, as the SIM only tray will only take a *micro* SIM. You can put a nano SIM in the second tray, but then you can't use it for a microSD card, and its the only tray that will accept one of those.

I never throw away the cards that my SIMs come in, and T-Mobile's are set up that you can pop out the SIM as nano, micro, or full sized. All I had to do was pop out the "micro surround" and gently press my nano sized SIM back into place and it was ready for use in the micro sim tray.

Feedback Score
    Cool thanks. I ended up getting a mint used Google Motorola Nexus 6 64GB. I rooted it so I'm on Oreo 8.1 with the latest security update.

I wish the Freetel Samurai Kiwami had a active (or any) rooting & ROM community. I really like getting a 2-4 year old flagship & putting on the latest Android. I'll never feel comfortable spending crazy money on a phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I wish the Freetel Samurai Kiwami had a active (or any) rooting & ROM community. I really like getting a 2-4 year old flagship & putting on the latest Android. I'll never feel comfortable spending crazy money on a phone.
    I'll bet they do, somewhere, but not in the English speaking world. It appears that their attempted forays into both the US and Europe had limited success, particularly the USA.

I'd love to just get the Marshmallow (6.0) update, but Freetel is not responding to anyone's requests for a direct download link. They did respond to me with regard to the update existing, but claimed it should come over the air via their updater. It didn't, and the updater had run on several occasions on its own and I triggered it once or twice, too.

I was actually surprised just how much Xiaomi's MIUI looks like the stock Android that comes with this phone. I very recently acquired a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus for my partner and it's a sweet budget phone that doesn't look like one nor have the sluggish performance of many.
    Last edited by guyslp; 07-17-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Changing subscription option

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    These are $90 on Walmarts website , anyone using one , any reviews ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    These are $90 on Walmarts website , anyone using one , any reviews ?
    I have one and used it a bit before putting it in a drawer.

Nice screen, gets good call reception. Bogs down a bit if you run multiple things at once.

I did run into two issues.

1. Was never able to get WiFi to work. It won't even turn on. This was from day one.
    2. Stuck on Android 5.1. Supposedly there is an update for Marshmellow, but its probably not an OTA update available in the US. I tried using "update" within the phone and it says I am up to date. From what I understand others were able to upgrade to Android 6 over on XDA.

My only *real* beef with the phone is that its just too big. I don't like phones this size.