Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Back to Basic

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Back to Basic

Anyone thinking of dropping their smartphone for a basic handset? I would like to see a return of some feature phones myself.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lemew View Post
    Anyone thinking of dropping their smartphone for a basic handset? I would like to see a return of some feature phones myself.

Buy a flip phone say no one under the age of 80

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Buy a flip phone say no one under the age of 80

In a world where you have literally in endless choice of mobile apps, like banking, social, security, convenience, I can’t see ever going back to a basic phone. I literally have everything electronic you can imagine run through my smart phone. My arlo, nest, banking ect ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    In a world where you have literally in endless choice of mobile apps, like banking, social, security, convenience, I can’t see ever going back to a basic phone. I literally have everything electronic you can imagine run through my smart phone. My arlo, nest, banking ect ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Still using a basic handset (samsung convoy 3) considering moving to a DuraXV LTE.
    I want my smart and my phone separate because IME smartphones make really crappy phones if you intend to use them primarily as phones.

That and i'm dancing around the math involved.
    It's $20/mo more for a smartphone on my current plan but it's only $10/mo more to have a cellular tablet.
    If I was on a current plan this wouldn't be an issue as on the new plans basic & smart are the same monthly rate but there is no 6GB plan currently offered 4GB is too little and 8GB is more than needed.
    A LTE flip phone like the DuraXV LTE should enable me to have hotspot for no extra charge monthly charge but would be a $250lump.
    My current phone will quit working at the end of next year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Back to Basic

I activated a flip phone for all of 20 minutes out of nostalgia and decided that’s so 2007 and want nothing to do with it again. Let CDMA and all those flip phones die.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    No. The nostalgia sounds nice and then reality kicks in...
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Still using a basic handset (samsung convoy 3) considering moving to a DuraXV LTE.
    I want my smart and my phone separate because IME smartphones make really crappy phones if you intend to use them primarily as phones.

It's $20/mo more for a smartphone on my current plan but it's only $10/mo more to have a cellular tablet.
    If I was on a current plan this wouldn't be an issue as on the new plans basic & smart are the same monthly rate but there is no 6GB plan currently offered 4GB is too little and 8GB is more than needed.
    A LTE flip phone like the DuraXV LTE should enable me to have hotspot for no extra charge monthly charge but would be a $250lump.
    I'm using a note 4 which may or may not work properly in a year or so. I have found phone calls and texts are mostly what I use a cellphone for. A basic or feature phone seems a good choice for many people and I thought it would be nice to hear some objective responses. :-)

I found this to be an excellent article https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mo...one-2017-09-12

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Smartphones are better, in my opinion, for text messages than the T-9 system.

I use data much more frequently, a phone without that would not be a phone for me, but there are use cases for me for a basic phone. Assuming we are back to the days where you could go 4-5 days on a charge. Not the days when I carried a couple extra batteries around.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Back to Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    No. The nostalgia sounds nice and then reality kicks in...
    After having been to Asia and seeing how they use their smartphones shamelessly anywhere any time I no longer have any shame in being on my phone a lot. (I use it for learning and communicating, not playing games anyway) They are surprisingly good at knowing when to actually put it away too.

Quote Originally Posted by lemew View Post
    I'm using a note 4 which may or may not work properly in a year or so. I have found phone calls and texts are mostly what I use a cellphone for. A basic or feature phone seems a good choice for many people and I thought it would be nice to hear some objective responses. :-)

I found this to be an excellent article https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mo...one-2017-09-12

Even for texting I’d still stick with something with a QWERTY keyboard. A Moto E4 would be a fine basic smartphone for texts & calls.

Feedback Score
    Agreed my convoy 3 makes a great phone but it's not really convenient to text on messages of any length.
    However my problems with that in the past were I needed to be able to tether and verizon would not put EVDO (3G) modems in their texting phones so they were all 1X only.

As of yet verizon has not released any LTE feature phones with keyboards although they may have smartphones with them I haven't checked.
    The difference is less important nowadays as there isn't a price difference on modern plans.
    IMHO the difference is a basic phone is a phone by default as in you open/unlock the phone and you can immediately dial a number whereas on a smartphone it's a phone second as in you open/unlock the phone and then have to close out of candy crush and hunt for the phone app before you can make a call.

Feedback Score
    We have a couple of note 3s and a note 4.
    i'm unsure of their actual VoLTE support.
    I'm pretty sure the note 4 does and and the note 3s doesn't.

Feedback Score

If you have a single phone line you can get a 5 GB plan. And if you plan on using hotpot you'll need more than 6 GB.

Feedback Score
    Agreed my convoy 3 makes a great phone but it's not really convenient to text on messages of any length.
    However my problems with that in the past were I needed to be able to tether and verizon would not put EVDO (3G) modems in their texting phones so they were all 1X onlyl.
    Verizon doesn't make phones. And there isn't a point anyway. As 1x and 3G are gone in 19 months and basic phone ownership has declined dramatically over the last few years.

Device(s)
    samsung galaxy Luna
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Give me an old fashioned candybar phone

I REALLY miss the basic phones. Just love phones and used to look forward to the different styles coming out instead of one slab after another with the smartphones. My preference would be a candybar style basic phone. Even those had different styles. Unfortunately, the market makes a lot more money on smartphones so i doubt that the basic phones will get the attention they deserve from a lot of us.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast