Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Back to Basic

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    How basic are you guys talking about? Simple talk and text or something similar to the flip phones sold in the early 00's that included MMS and full HTML browsers like the way Samsung's used to be that Sprint used to sell?
    I'd love to see the return of some feature phones!

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lemew View Post
    I'd love to see the return of some feature phones!

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    And I bet some people want pay phones back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    And I bet some people want pay phones back...

Good one. Those are the same old folks that go bank teller to get cash because they don’t believe in ATM Machines. They are also the same NIMBYs that killed the Verizon’s new cell tower plans in my neighborhood.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Good one. Those are the same old folks that go bank teller to get cash because they don’t believe in ATM Machines. They are also the same NIMBYs that killed the Verizon’s new cell tower plans in my neighborhood.
    They are lucky verizon doesn’t sue their town and cause taxes to go up. Im a firm believer that the FCC needs to get even stricter on town zoning boards that make rejections based on emotion and zero facts. LTE is critical infrastructure and should be treated that way. Only rejection should be for fall zone spaces. Carriers should be forced to camouflage the sites as best as they can within x feet of residential areas but that’s about it.

Feedback Score
    The cell tower was to be camouflaged as a pine tree and the old fogies in the HOA still didn’t want it, even though it would have created income for the HOA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Good one. Those are the same old folks that go bank teller to get cash because they don’t believe in ATM Machines.
    it's ATM. Otherwise your saying Automatic Teller Machine Machines. Like when people say PIN number. No that would be Personal Identification Number number

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Mine is just a Moto E4 on an inexpensive prepaid plan where I just have to add at least $9 every 90 days. I still have $6.78 remaining, with the next charge starting the 12th. So I'll have at least $16 credit for the next 3 months.
    What plan is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg32901 View Post
    What plan is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the pay per use plan with H2O Wireless. $10 of credit expires in 90 days unless more is purchased, with a discount to $9 for autopay. $0.05/minute or text. I used less than $4 worth of credit for that phone in 3 months, and some of that was testing.

Wouldn't suffice as my regular cell phone, with the per minute charges.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Not thinking of dropping anything for a basic, but now I'm looking for a REPLACEment.

Been with Verizon since.. well, too long. My daily is a 2009 enV3, and my wife's is a 2006 vx8300.
    According to plans, we should still have 18 or so months of phone usability, but right now, it's 30% chance that we can't make calls due to lack of signal. I guess we moved the house out of range of Verizon's towers, over the last 20 years.

I'm not a Luddite, I've got 4 Android (not-)phones, three Android tablets, a couple of Roku's, a Chrome-dongle, 8 or so desktops/laptops.
    I'm just... cheap. I don't need or want to pay extra for a data plan when I'm connected 97% of the time.
    I live on the computer for work, I'm hardly ever further than 100 ft from Wifi.
    If I leave home for anything, it's to run to the store or to a restaurant. Most of those run Wifi.
    I spend hours at a time on conference calls, so I don't want to lug a smartphone around for that. A folder is perfect - sits compact and quertly on my hip, lets me talk through bluetooth. The display is so low-res that I can actually see it without strain -- the same thing that has driven me to larger and larger Android devices. I need a big screen to play games, watch videos, read posts on... not to make phone calls with.

So, we're moving to the 2 GB unlimited calls/texts, and will pick up LTE folders.
    My wife doesn't want a smart phone. I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Yet the folders that Verizon has are way over-priced for what they are, and what they are is NOT exciting.
    The Cadence and the Exalt, although LTE, have fewer features than what they're replacing. I am not amused.

So, I headed over here to see if I could get a clue if other LTE folders could be found... and I found this thread.

> Buy a flip phone say no one under the age of 80

I'm well shy of 80. :-) And I've got the 4 Androids if I really got desperate, but... no, I want a flip phone.

Feedback Score
    AFAIK this is the complete list of current LTE flips offered by verizon all are available direct from verizon's website.

kyocera cadence lte
    lg exalt lte
    DuraXV LTE
    ZTE cymbal prepaid.

IIUC most support wifi calling but only the duraxv has a flashlight.

I agree that they are way overpriced for what you get tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    AFAIK this is the complete list of current LTE flips offered by verizon all are available direct from verizon's website.

kyocera cadence lte
    lg exalt lte
    DuraXV LTE
    ZTE cymbal prepaid.

IIUC most support wifi calling but only the duraxv has a flashlight.

I agree that they are way overpriced for what you get tho.
    You forgot the Sonim XP5

Feedback Score
    It's a basic phone but it's not a flip/folder.
    The XP5 is also the only other basic phone with a flashlight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    It's a basic phone but it's not a flip/folder.
    The XP5 is also the only other basic phone with a flashlight.
    well the thread is about basic phones.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvisconte View Post
    Not thinking of dropping anything for a basic, but now I'm looking for a REPLACEment.

Been with Verizon since.. well, too long. My daily is a 2009 enV3, and my wife's is a 2006 vx8300.
    According to plans, we should still have 18 or so months of phone usability, but right now, it's 30% chance that we can't make calls due to lack of signal. I guess we moved the house out of range of Verizon's towers, over the last 20 years.

I'm not a Luddite, I've got 4 Android (not-)phones, three Android tablets, a couple of Roku's, a Chrome-dongle, 8 or so desktops/laptops.
    I'm just... cheap. I don't need or want to pay extra for a data plan when I'm connected 97% of the time.
    I live on the computer for work, I'm hardly ever further than 100 ft from Wifi.
    If I leave home for anything, it's to run to the store or to a restaurant. Most of those run Wifi.
    I spend hours at a time on conference calls, so I don't want to lug a smartphone around for that. A folder is perfect - sits compact and quertly on my hip, lets me talk through bluetooth. The display is so low-res that I can actually see it without strain -- the same thing that has driven me to larger and larger Android devices. I need a big screen to play games, watch videos, read posts on... not to make phone calls with.

So, we're moving to the 2 GB unlimited calls/texts, and will pick up LTE folders.
    My wife doesn't want a smart phone. I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Yet the folders that Verizon has are way over-priced for what they are, and what they are is NOT exciting.
    The Cadence and the Exalt, although LTE, have fewer features than what they're replacing. I am not amused.

So, I headed over here to see if I could get a clue if other LTE folders could be found... and I found this thread.

> Buy a flip phone say no one under the age of 80

I'm well shy of 80. :-) And I've got the 4 Androids if I really got desperate, but... no, I want a flip phone.
    That's exactly what's wrong with the new LTE basic phones. You pay as much as a low to mid range smart phone, same price plan for far less functionality, having hotspot is nice but then two devices. How does that work? I really like the flip form factor but won't work for me.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    That's exactly what's wrong with the new LTE basic phones. You pay as much as a low to mid range smart phone, same price plan for far less functionality, having hotspot is nice but then two devices. How does that work? I really like the flip form factor but won't work for me.
    Yep. I learned that with the LG exalt lte basic phone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast