Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Back to Basic

Feedback Score

Other flip/folders

Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    AFAIK this is the complete list of current LTE flips offered by verizon all are available direct from verizon's website.

kyocera cadence lte
    lg exalt lte
    DuraXV LTE
    ZTE cymbal prepaid.

IIUC most support wifi calling but only the duraxv has a flashlight.
    I saw the Cymbal on one of the phone sites (GMSArena?), but it didn't note whether it was pre-paid or not.
    My wife picked up the DuraXV and immediately said "no". To thick for the size. I guess she'll do the Cadence.
    I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to stick it out a bit longer with my enV3.
    I work right next to the wifi router, and I use one of my non-activated devices w/ Google Voice for VoIP.
    Maybe by the time my wife is irritated enough we'll check Verizon's stock again. Or, start looking for another company.
    Just switch to the 2 GB wireless plan is saving $70... after two months, whichever she wants will be 'free'. :-/

Feedback Score
    I've got tons (well, pounds) of flashlights... anything I carry will melt what's available from a phone.
    These things are hella expensive for what they are.
    I may just bite the bullet and pick up an inexpensive ($50) Android from Swappa and share the 2 G / month with my son. He used < 500 MB last month, and I would hardly ever use data. Maybe Verizon will bring more models on as they get closer to the decommissioning date and more people are interested.

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvisconte View Post
    I've got tons (well, pounds) of flashlights... anything I carry will melt what's available from a phone.
    These things are hella expensive for what they are.
    I may just bite the bullet and pick up an inexpensive ($50) Android from Swappa and share the 2 G / month with my son. He used < 500 MB last month, and I would hardly ever use data. Maybe Verizon will bring more models on as they get closer to the decommissioning date and more people are interested.
    I think more options will become available soon. I certainly hope so. Stoked to see what they will do when they finally shut down 3g

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We are looking at the DuraXV LTE for our 12yo son for his first phone. We already have three smartphones on our plan and he is not developmentally ready for one yet...he needs just a way to call or text us.

I'm leaning towards this one because it looks a bit beefier than the others, and can take a drop or two by the 12yo.

It has been ages since we have had to deal w/ a non-smart phone. Anything we should be looking for or expecting?

Feedback Score
    Personally, I think that the price for the DuraXV is very high. Of course, I also think that the basic phones are over-priced. These are basic phones. The cameras are substandard for pretty much anything - even my old folder. They aren't "smart". The form factor of the DuraXV is bulky, which I think would contribute to any drops or accidents.
    If you don't think there would be a problem w/ a "smart phone", you could look at picking up a used smart phone from Swappa... I've seen some older ones from $40. As long as the phone has LTE and runs on Band 13, I'm told it should work on Verizon. If you can find a rugged shell for a smart phone, that might be an inexpensive route.
    Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had a Dura XV for over 3 years and think it’s great ! the sound quality is excellent ! yes I’ve dropped it a bunch of times but so far no damage, If it wasn’t for how easily smartphones get broke I’d have one.

Feedback Score
    @cycledude
    The Dura XV LTE model is being discussed it's a rather expensive ($264) upgrade to the dura XV.
    You have a bit under a year and a half left before the non-LTE model of the Dura XV quits working on verizon's network.
    As such I can't really recommend anyone buy a 1x-3g phone at this point unless they are ok with it only being a short term option.
    I suppose it's cheap enough secondhand for that.

Feedback Score
    @cycledude
    The Dura XV LTE model is being discussed it's a rather expensive ($264) upgrade to the dura XV.
    You have a bit under a year and a half left before the non-LTE model of the Dura XV quits working on verizon's network.
    As such I can't really recommend anyone buy a 1x-3g phone at this point unless they are ok with it only being a short term option.
    I suppose it's cheap enough secondhand for that.
    any 1x-3G only devices not already activated on the network can no longer be activated.

Feedback Score
    @mvisconte
    The flashlight doesn't have to be very good it's both on your person and charged most of the time. It's also one less thing to carry.
    I need one often enough that I want my phone to include one but not often enough that if my phone did not have one to carry a dedicated flashlight.

Feedback Score
    Oh yeah the cut off was a few days ago wasn't it?

Has it been tested for postpaid? As IIRC the stuff I saw was for MVNOs.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Oh yeah the cut off was a few days ago wasn't it?

Has it been tested for postpaid? As IIRC the stuff I saw was for MVNOs.
    The cutoff got postponed to the end of December for MVNOs.

Yesterday on my Verizon postpaid line, I moved my SIM from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 5s, and both voice and data are still working, and the change from iPhone 5 to 5s showed up properly on My Verizon. (i wasn't sure if this was going to work after the cutoff.) So, moving the SIM from a non-VoLTE phone to another non-VoLTE still works for now. I know that's not the same as moving the SIM from a VoLTE phone to a non-VoLTE, and it's not the same as activating an actual 3G device, but it's a little information at least.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry K. Nathan View Post
    The cutoff got postponed to the end of December for MVNOs.
    For SOME MNVOs not all. And they were ones I never heard of

Yesterday on my Verizon postpaid line, I moved my SIM from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 5s, and both voice and data are still working, and the change from iPhone 5 to 5s showed up properly on My Verizon. (i wasn't sure if this was going to work after the cutoff.) So, moving the SIM from a non-VoLTE phone to another non-VoLTE still works for now. I know that's not the same as moving the SIM from a VoLTE phone to a non-VoLTE, and it's not the same as activating an actual 3G device, but it's a little information at least.
    The real test would be someone trying to activate a NON LTE phone. I'd be curious.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    For SOME MNVOs not all. And they were ones I never heard of
    Hmm, this made it sound to me like it was all MVNOs, but that article is a bit vague so maybe I misunderstood the situation. Sorry about that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry K. Nathan View Post
    Hmm, this made it sound to me like it was all MVNOs, but that article is a bit vague so maybe I misunderstood the situation. Sorry about that.
    I could be wrong. The article said "Expo Mobile sent a dealer email. Two other MVNO reps confirmed." That's 3 MVNOs could be more. Anyone with any knowledge could chime in. I doubt Verizon is letting big ones like Straight Talk etc have until December. I'm not sure it's wise to let people activate devices which are going t be a brick a year later.

Feedback Score
    @mvisconte
    ... It's also one less thing to carry.
    I need one often enough that I want my phone to include one but not often enough that if my phone did not have one to carry a dedicated flashlight.
    Oh man... I make fun of my wife for what she carries in her purse. She recently down-sized from a back-pack-sized purse that weighed several pounds into something smaller than a toy football, that still weighs several pounds.

Then when we get ready to go somewhere, I have to go "fill my pockets". I've got it all laid out and organized. Folding money on this side, change on that side, foam ear plugs here, loupe, Blistex, two units of eye drops there, pet rock, stereo ear buds, container for ibuprofen or meds, then a holster for phone, and one for folding knife and rechargeable flashlight. Wallet and comb in a back pocket, and my Android non-phone. And walking out the door, I pick up my "real" flashlight, just in case, and keys.

It didn't start out that way, but over the years I just added things that I would need, and now... well, I refuse to carry a murse (man-purse).

Yeah, you're better off with a phone flash.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5