Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rogers announces 2G network shutdown for December 31st 2020

Feedback Score
    I think their 2G is really good for penetration. I live in a condo, and occasionally I have to go down 60 feet below ground to go to my locker to get a few things. And sometimes I have to send a message to my family to make sure this is what they wanted me to get. 2G is the only one that actually works down there. It's not the end of the world if I don't have it. Just a nice feature.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I don't know how to feel about this. Yes, 2G is practically useless nowadays, but I'm really hoping before this shutdown happens, that Rogers gets a grip on its "improved network". There's many dead spots in between Toronto and Mississauga, where it just reverts back to using 2G.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah when I was in Toronto a month ago I stayed downtown and was surprised how much Rogers switches back to 2G inside buildings. So I guess it definitely comes in handy in those situations for sure.

Has anyone else noticed today that network connectivity on Rogers is acting strange? My phone is constantly reverting back to 3G instead of staying on LTE like it usually does. Not sure if this is isolated to just my neighbourhood or if there are LTE outages all around

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I wish all the carriers would shutdown their 2G/3G networks by 2020 and then only have LTE and 5G.
    Unlimited US and Canada Calling and SMS/6GB Data/VVM CID

Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone else noticed today that network connectivity on Rogers is acting strange? My phone is constantly reverting back to 3G instead of staying on LTE like it usually does. Not sure if this is isolated to just my neighbourhood or if there are LTE outages all around
    I've noticed this as well here in the GTA. Speeds have become a lot better in the past few months, but I used to never see 3G on Rogers, now it hands down to 3G more frequently.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2G works perfect for calls/text and email with no images on a 2g/3g phone. Any other than that its useless...

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    You’re lucky. Anytime my wife’s phone drops to 2G, it becomes a paperweight...no chance of calls going thru let alone anything else.

Feedback Score
    Went to Belfountain Conservation Area earlier today. Dropped to 3G, wouldnt load a single thing. Tried to look for Rogers EXT, wouldn't connect. Rogers is garbage. My fiance had freedom (roaming) and I had to hotspot off of her.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yep. I was there with the family on Saturday. In-laws came too. Everyone except me had Rogers and their phones either had unusable signal (nothing worked) or dropped to no service. I had flawless LTE with Telus. Wife had to use my phone to make a call. No surprise though. Closest Rogers tower is too far from the park. Bell has 2 sites in close proximity.

Feedback Score
    Very tempting, I've been wanting to switch to Telus/Bell for awhile now. Rogers has just been going down over the last few years.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Rogers updated their coverage map and have removed 2G from it completely it seems.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It looks better. The extended coverage shows up as a solid light yellow now instead of those terrible lines they had before. It makes their coverage look more seamless and full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    Rogers updated their coverage map and have removed 2G from it completely it seems.
    Fido seems to have too

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Currently Videotron and Bell. Has used PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score
    I can't wait for Rogers and Fido to fix their coverage maps. Between Ottawa and Mont-St-Michel (QC), it shows coverage where there isn't any. On the lake (Lac Gravel), Rogers/Fido has no coverage whatsover; multiple phones have confirmed it. Yet they still think they have coverage. Pathetic.

How can you plan with bad data?

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Currently Videotron and Bell. Has used PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score
    On the 2G topic, I currently have a phone with Vidéotron (in Ottawa). When it falls out of the Vidéotron network, it goes to 2G before 3G (Vidéotron roams on Rogers first).

3G coverage in Ottawa has holes all over and without 2G, you'd miss calls. Adding new technology on the same network topology does not work as newer generations have limited reach.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast