Thread: RedPocket call quality

Feedback Score

RedPocket call quality

after reading some good reviews here for redpocket i decided to give it a try with their least expensive plan. i decided on the att sim because i had good luck with their coverage for my internet needs in rural virginia. my hot spot consistently gives me speeds of ~ 20mbps.
    this trial was made possible when my son gifted me his iphone 6s - i never had a smartphone before, as a matter of fact my flip phone is so old it works without requiring a sim .
    the main attraction for me was redpocket's offering to call germany using regular minutes. before i had used rebtel or google voice for those calls and always had a clear connection.
    much to my surprise people were barely able to hear me even after repeated resets by redpocket's tech support. local calls seemed to be ok but then i stayed on the phone for quite some time the other day and after about 10 minutes the volume dropped by itself so drastically i could no longer hear what was being said.
    has anybody here had the same experience and found a solution?

Feedback Score
    Local phone call, a coverage or phone problem. Odds slim that it's a Red Pocket issue.

Overseas call I have no idea.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiburonfirst View Post
    this trial was made possible when my son gifted me his iphone 6s - i never had a smartphone before, as a matter of fact my flip phone is so old it works without requiring a sim .
    Must be a Sprint or Verizon flip phone. Those services only require SIMS for phones with LTE support. And verizon only recently started selling flip phones that support LTE.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    No local or international call issues noticed here in Northern VA. Local calls sound great, even when traveling through very rural areas of Madison County where Verizon even struggles.

To be fair, I haven't made a 2 way intl call since switching to Red Pocket. (Only outbound test calls) Inbound call quality is now just as good as H2O Wireless since Red Pocket updated their intl plans in February. Before that, volume was low & overall quality was poor.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    well, maybe it's the iphone then? but call quality was always good when my son used it with postpaid att service

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've got a line with RedPocket on GSMA (AT&T) and I'm in rural Virginia. Call quality is excellent. I would try another phone, if you have one, as a test.

I just re-read your original post. Is the problem with domestic/local calls? Or is it calling International (Germany)?

Eric

Feedback Score
    Is there a chance that international calls on Red Pocket are routed differently, depending on what underlying carrier (Vzw, AT&T, T-Mo, Sprint) is being used?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Is there a chance that international calls on Red Pocket are routed differently, depending on what underlying carrier (Vzw, AT&T, T-Mo, Sprint) is being used?
    Hard to say. GSMA (AT&T) international calls are routed through a South Dakota phone number.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am reading through their FAQs and it would appear as if direct dial is in fact supported although an alternative access number is given as a backup.

Direct dialing may yield different results which may be better or worse.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randamin View Post
    I am reading through their FAQs and it would appear as if direct dial is in fact supported although an alternative access number is given as a backup.

Direct dialing may yield different results which may be better or worse.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    i tried it both ways with the same results

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    I've got a line with RedPocket on GSMA (AT&T) and I'm in rural Virginia. Call quality is excellent. I would try another phone, if you have one, as a test.

I just re-read your original post. Is the problem with domestic/local calls? Or is it calling International (Germany)?

Eric
    i thought at first it was just an international problem. domestic calls were fine until i was on the phone for more than 5 minutes or so. i don't have an exact figure but maybe 10 minutes into the call the volume dropped so drastically i no longer could hear the other party

Feedback Score
    i thought at first it was just an international problem. domestic calls were fine until i was on the phone for more than 5 minutes or so. i don't have an exact figure but maybe 10 minutes into the call the volume dropped so drastically i no longer could hear the other party
    If I had to guess, I'd guess that's a hardware issue.

But have you tried calling from a different area, to make sure it's not a local network/tower issue?

It could be a phone issue, or it could be a network issue, but it's most likely not a Red Pocket specific issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd guess that's a hardware issue.

But have you tried calling from a different area, to make sure it's not a local network/tower issue?

It could be a phone issue, or it could be a network issue, but it's most likely not a Red Pocket specific issue.
    i just don't know - the iphone worked great for my son before he upgraded and i do get a decent att signal at my house

Feedback Score
    i just don't know - the iphone worked great for my son before he upgraded and i do get a decent att signal at my house....
    Unless you're withholding information that is not enough to disprove Boz1 information. I suggest carrying on with his recommendations.