Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switching sims on tracfone smartphones

Feedback Score

Switching sims on tracfone smartphones

I have two active different model tracfone smartphones.. both run on verizon.
    Can i switch sims between them with no issues? - I've tried and it seems to work fine.

Also, if one phone becomes inactive (no funds/number), can i put sim from other (active) tracfone in it and use the sim with both phones as needed?

Added: I believe one smartphone is a TMFL phone, though I guess this doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For a TF-branded phone, the SIM number and the phone's serial number are paired together in their system. When the phone is a non-smartphone, that pairing is strictly enforced; if you put in another SIM, the phone will display "Unregistered SIM" and won't work. When it's a smartphone, that pairing doesn't appear to be enforced, you can swap SIMs without problem.

Regarding TMFL for a TF-branded phone, I think TF keeps tracks by the phone's serial number. But to avoid potential problem, put the original SIM back into the TMFL phone before adding time to it.

Feedback Score
    If a smartphone SIM is activated, I would expect adding airtime by selecting the original phone number/phone from TracFone MyAccount website or app will add the airtime to the corresponding SIM independent of the phone it's currently installed in.

I have a GSM SIM from a TracFone branded smartphone in a BYOP and haven't had any issues adding airtime while the SIM is located in the BYOP. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    For a TF-branded phone, the SIM number and the phone's serial number are paired together in their system. When the phone is a non-smartphone, that pairing is strictly enforced; if you put in another SIM, the phone will display "Unregistered SIM" and won't work. When it's a smartphone, that pairing doesn't appear to be enforced, you can swap SIMs without problem.

Regarding TMFL for a TF-branded phone, I think TF keeps tracks by the phone's serial number. But to avoid potential problem, put the original SIM back into the TMFL phone before adding time to it.

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

So just for my own clarity, if one phone gets deactivated (I'm going to try and see if I can merge the balances/time to one phone and let the other phone get deactivated), I should still be able to put the other functioning sim - the sim that is in the merged to phone - in the deactivated one and it will work?
    Last edited by lappers; 05-06-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    I would say yes, but first restore the SIMs to the original phones before trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    Thank you.

So just for my own clarity, if one phone gets deactivated (I'm going to try and see if I can merge the balances/time to one phone and let the other phone get deactivated), I should still be able to put the other functioning sim - the sim that is in the merged to phone - in the deactivated one and it will work?

Feedback Score
    Ok thank you.

Feedback Score
    I would restore the SIMs back to the original phones before you contact TracFone for the service merging - just to avoid any confusion with you or the CSR. Afterwards, verify the active SIM works before trying it in the second phone - which I expect will work just fine.

Ok thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I would restore the SIMs back to the original phones before you contact TracFone for the service merging - just to avoid any confusion with you or the CSR. Afterwards, verify the active SIM works before trying it in the second phone - which I expect will work just fine.
    Yup that makes sense thanks tfusr19 and hpham.

Feedback Score
    I spoke with someone in chat and they said they can do the merge no problem but once the first phone is deactivated no sim from any phone will work in it including the one that is in the merged to phone. I imagine this might not be completely accurate information but I'm not sure. I think I am going to think more about this since I do have other options.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I spoke with someone in chat and they said they can do the merge no problem but once the first phone is deactivated no sim from any phone will work in it including the one that is in the merged to phone. I imagine this might not be completely accurate information but I'm not sure.
    That's the "official" statement of TF (i.e. no SIM swapping), but we know that in reality it works.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Just do not get confused as to which SIM is tied to which phone. With Verizon service you always have to give the IMEI of the phone for Verizon to OK its use, so the SIM and IMEI are always tied together. Do not try to reactivate a phone (use it`s IMEI) that has an active SIM tied to it. Tracfone will deactivate the currently tied SIM and you will lose the phone number and airtime. Only one active SIM per IMEI. There is a lot to remember/keep straight when you SIM swap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Just do not get confused as to which SIM is tied to which phone. With Verizon service you always have to give the IMEI of the phone for Verizon to OK its use, so the SIM and IMEI are always tied together. Do not try to reactivate a phone (use it`s IMEI) that has an active SIM tied to it. Tracfone will deactivate the currently tied SIM and you will lose the phone number and airtime. Only one active SIM per IMEI. There is a lot to remember/keep straight when you SIM swap.
    Thanks.. yup. This part has always been easy to understand for me. It's the what they will let you do part that has/had me concerned. I think I'm going to go ahead and merge to the 2nd phone. I imagine I can always transfer back (to old 1st phone sim on 1st phone) if some reason I have to or want to.
    Last edited by lappers; 05-06-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    It's the what they will let you do part that has/had me concerned. I think I'm going to go ahead and merge to the 2nd phone. I imagine I can always transfer back (to old 1st phone sim) if some reason I have to.
    Just be aware that service mergers are not always a reliable thing, and depends on the skill and willingness of a CSR. Has not been that long since it was usually not possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Just be aware that service mergers are not always a reliable thing, and depends on the skill and willingness of a CSR. Has not been that long since it was usually not possible.
    Thanks loboheeler - I'll keep that in mind as I decide on how to go forward.

Thanks guys for the helpful information. Appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    You should be able to transfer back to the first phone if you want to, and my guess is that after the merge the merged SIM should work in either phone. Please let us know how it all works out

Thanks.. yup. This part has always been easy to understand for me. It's the what they will let you do part that has/had me concerned. I think I'm going to go ahead and merge to the 2nd phone. I imagine I can always transfer back (to old 1st phone sim on 1st phone) if some reason I have to or want to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast