Thread: Change providers and keeping old number

Feedback Score

Change providers and keeping old number

I want to change from Tracfone to Cricket. The reason is I only need a talk/text plan and it's less expensive.

I want to port my old number from my Tracfone to Cricket BUT I don't want to lose my Tracfone service. I want to keep the Tracfone active because I have a year left on it and I want to use it for data until it runs out.

From what I've read the process to port the old number means I may have to shut down the Tracfone service which I don't want to happen. Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What you want to do is kind of tricky. You'll need to have a TF rep on Chat or phone to release your current phone number and immediately assign a new phone number to it to keep it active. The problem with this is that your phone number will be "in the wild" and can be re-assigned to someone else.

On the other hand, you can initiate a port from TF to Cricket which ensures the number will go to Cricket, but you don't know EXACTLY when TF will release the number. When the number is released, your phone is deactivated and all its balance info is gone. You'll have a tough time getting it restored. This happened to someone here recently. He was promised by a TF rep that the balance would be restored at reactivation. But when he tried to reactivate, TF basically said "Sorry, we no longer have info on what its balance was".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    What you want to do is kind of tricky. You'll need to have a TF rep on Chat or phone to release your current phone number and immediately assign a new phone number to it to keep it active. The problem with this is that your phone number will be "in the wild" and can be re-assigned to someone else.

On the other hand, you can initiate a port from TF to Cricket which ensures the number will go to Cricket, but you don't know EXACTLY when TF will release the number. When the number is released, your phone is deactivated and all its balance info is gone. You'll have a tough time getting it restored. This happened to someone here recently. He was promised by a TF rep that the balance would be restored at reactivation. But when he tried to reactivate, TF basically said "Sorry, we no longer have info on what its balance was".
    Is there a way to use a call forwarding system? Or maybe I could set up the Tracfone with a voicemail message telling everyone to call my new Cricket number?

My Tracfone is on Verizon CDMA. Phone is LG Rebel 3. I do see call forwarding is available but I also read where people have issues with call forwarding at times.

Feedback Score
    Call forwarding from your TracFone number will use the talk bucket for the duration of the call. You can Google the codes for call forwarding and do a test.

Step 1: Ask TracFone via website chat if they will restore your existing service balance with a new number after you port out and let us know what they say, if you are interested in this option still.

Quote Originally Posted by skobydog View Post
    Is there a way to use a call forwarding system? Or maybe I could set up the Tracfone with a personal message to tell everyone the new number?

Feedback Score
    For Verizon,
    The *72phonenumber to turn on call forwarding works.
    Use *73 to turn it off.

I have used it on occasion.

Does not work for texting though.

Feedback Score
    Just got off the chat with Tracfone.

Tracfone service would be cancelled after porting but I could then reactivate the phone with a new phone number. They said I would keep my data/text/phone minutes.

I had the conversation sent to me by email and am taking screen shots of my balances. Hopefully this works (I'll verify that this worked but it may take a week before I get the new phone). Thank you

Gabriel : Your current TracFone services will be cancelled after the phone is transfered.
    You: So there is no way I can keep my Tracfone services?
    Gabriel : Yes. However, you need to transfer the phone number first and then reactivate the phone with a new phone number.
    You: so i could keep my service date 1/15/2021, 199 talk minutes, 1.35 GB data, and 1489 text?
    Gabriel : Yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post
    For Verizon,
    The *72phonenumber to turn on call forwarding works.
    Use *73 to turn it off.

I have used it on occasion.

Does not work for texting though.
    LG has the option built into the phone. I wonder if that uses minutes.........Either way, Tracfone did say they could reactivate my phone and I would keep my minutes/text/data.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Either way, Tracfone did say they could reactivate my phone and I would keep my minutes/text/data.
    Do you have it in writing? If not, use Chat and get a rep to give a response to that effect, then ask for the current balance of your phone, service end date, and a ticket number. Then copy-and-paste everything from the Chat window into a text/doc file on your computer as proof. If thing goes wrong later (which is likely), you can ask the next rep to refer to the ticket number and that rep can see what you balance/days were. If they can't restore your balance/days, then you can use the chat transcript when filing a complaint with BBB and the FCC.

Feedback Score
    Do you have it in writing? If not, use Chat and get a rep to give a response to that effect, then ask for the current balance of your phone, service end date, and a ticket number. Then copy-and-paste everything from the Chat window into a text/doc file on your computer as proof. If thing goes wrong later (which is likely), you can ask the next rep to refer to the ticket number and that rep can see what you balance/days were. If they can't restore your balance/days, then you can use the chat transcript when filing a complaint with BBB and the FCC.
    I have this in a chat message that I had emailed to myself with screen shots showing my balance. I think/hope this should do it.

Gabriel : Yes. However, you need to transfer the phone number first and then reactivate the phone with a new phone number.
    You: so i could keep my service date 1/15/2021, 199 talk minutes, 1.35 GB data, and 1489 text?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have this in a chat message that I had emailed to myself with screen shots showing my balance. I think/hope this should do it.

Is there a ticket/case number in the chat transcript? That will help the next rep in finding the transcript.

Feedback Score
    Is there a ticket/case number in the chat transcript? That will help the next rep in finding the transcript.
    Yes, reference number, date, and time. I won't know until next week. I'll respond with whatever happens. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Get them to verify your balance again via chat right before you initiate the port out and possibly every day thereafter until phone is deactivated due to the port out so TracFone can't claim you used up your balance since today. They have been known to pull that on people.

Yes, reference number, date, and time. I won't know until next week. I'll respond with whatever happens. Thanks