Thread: SIM Card(s) Question

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

SIM Card(s) Question

Hi all,
    So I just added a 2nd line to my VZW account, using an iPhone 8 and Samsung S9. I'd like to be able to log into my account and switch phone numbers when I feel like using the other phone, that's the reason why I finally just added another line vs. swapping my SIM between phones as I had been doing.

VZW always says they have separate SIMS for Android and Apple phones. Interestingly, the SIM card that came with my S9 does work with the iPhone 8 when I switched devices in my account (on a single line). The SIM that I got for the iPhone seems to be the problem, as there are compatibility issues when I try to swap numbers in my account / it won't let me.

The VZW store reps insist that a non-Apple SIM won't work in the iPhone, is this accurate? I am planning to visit a VZW store near my office and want to request that they just give me an "Android" SIM for the iPhone. If there really are separate SIM types, why does the S9 SIM work perfectly in both the S9 and iPhone? Is this an issue for AT&T and T-Mobile as well? So frustrating.

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That’s not accurate. I swap SIM cards between my Galaxy S8 and iPhone all the time, and never have any problems.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
    So I just added a 2nd line to my VZW account, using an iPhone 8 and Samsung S9. I'd like to be able to log into my account and switch phone numbers when I feel like using the other phone, that's the reason why I finally just added another line vs. swapping my SIM between phones as I had been doing.
    You are paying for an extra line just because you don't want to swap SIMs?

VZW always says they have separate SIMS for Android and Apple phones.
    They used to, but not any more. But that only was an issue when you activated the SIMs. You always could swap SIMs without issue.

Interestingly, the SIM card that came with my S9 does work with the iPhone 8 when I switched devices in my account (on a single line).
    All of the SIMs are the same now.

The SIM that I got for the iPhone seems to be the problem, as there are compatibility issues when I try to swap numbers in my account / it won't let me.
    I don't understand what you are doing. You are going online and trying to change the SIM card on a line using a SIM card that is active on another line?

The VZW store reps insist that a non-Apple SIM won't work in the iPhone, is this accurate? I am planning to visit a VZW store near my office and want to request that they just give me an "Android" SIM for the iPhone. If there really are separate SIM types, why does the S9 SIM work perfectly in both the S9 and iPhone? Is this an issue for AT&T and T-Mobile as well? So frustrating.
    If you have one off the older SIMs they used to be different for Android and iPhones. They are all the same now.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    That’s not accurate. I swap SIM cards between my Galaxy S8 and iPhone all the time, and never have any problems.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I will try getting a new SIM card for "Android" and see what happens. It has to be an Apple thing, as the S9 SIM works both ways. The store reps can't seem to comprehend that that the S9 SIM works for both phones, lol. If I continue to have issues, no time like the present to test out T-Mobile with one of the phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    You are paying for an extra line just because you don't want to swap SIMs?

They used to, but not any more. But that only was an issue when you activated the SIMs. You always could swap SIMs without issue.

All of the SIMs are the same now.

I don't understand what you are doing. You are going online and trying to change the SIM card on a line using a SIM card that is active on another line?

If you have one off the older SIMs they used to be different for Android and iPhones. They are all the same now.
    I need two phones for personal + business so yes I wanted to just add another line finally. My business line is VOIP so I don't technically "need" service on the inactive phone, but I want it.

I've swapped SIMS in the past and this has been an issue for me, for some reason. Here is what I have been doing: On a single line. I go into my account and click on switch devices. Enter in the device ID and SIM ID and then the new phone will be active. I run into problems, all the time, if one phone is Android and the other is Apple. This happened a few months ago too.

When I added the 2nd line, I go into my account and want to switch phone numbers between devices. I get an error in my account because it says SIMS aren't compatible, or something similar / features issue.

The store reps then tell me the same thing, have to get new SIM. One of the managers said the cards have different batch numbers / labels or something. They said yesterday they are out of "Android" cards but can give me a new Apple one, which I said is pointless.

Feedback Score
    I've swapped SIMS in the past
    Just to clarify, I think when most people here say swap SIMs what we mean is physically removing the SIM card from the device and putting it into another device.

Here is what I have been doing: On a single line. I go into my account and click on switch devices. Enter in the device ID and SIM ID and then the new phone will be active.
    I wouldn't call that swapping SIMs, I would call that activating a different SIM card on your line.

I run into problems, all the time, if one phone is Android and the other is Apple. This happened a few months ago too.
    Like I said, the SIM cards used to be different for Android and iPhones, but now they are all the same. I would get a new SIM card if you are having problems.

But IME the problem I ran into is that if the SIM cards are the same sizes the online system tells you to do a SIM swap and won't let you activate another SIM on your line if the new SIM card is the same size as the currently active SIM.

The store reps then tell me the same thing, have to get new SIM. One of the managers said the cards have different batch numbers / labels or something. They said yesterday they are out of "Android" cards but can give me a new Apple one, which I said is pointless.
    Sounds like that store has old SIM cards. I would dial 611 and have them mail you a new SIM card for free.

However like I said, the problem I always ran into is that the online system will not let you activate a new SIM on your line if it is the same size as the currently active SIM. You have to call or chat to get a new SIM activated when it is the same size as your currently active SIM card.

Feedback Score
    VZW always says they have separate SIMS for Android and Apple phones. Interestingly, the SIM card that came with my S9 does work with the iPhone 8 when I switched devices in my account (on a single line). The SIM that I got for the iPhone seems to be the problem, as there are compatibility issues when I try to swap numbers in my account / it won't let me.
    I am still not clear on what you are trying to do.

L1, ICCID1 - S9

L2, ICCID2 - iP8

If what you want to do is activate ICCID2 on L1, you would need to first activate a different SIM card on L2 to free up ICCID2 so that it could be activated on L1. You cannot activate a SIM card on a line if that SIM card is currently active on another line.

You would need a third SIM card ICCID3 and an IMEI of a third phone to do what you want to do. You would have to first activate ICCID3 on L2, then you could activate ICCID2 on L1.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am still not clear on what you are trying to do.

L1, ICCID1 - S9

L2, ICCID2 - iP8

If what you want to do is activate ICCID2 on L1, you would need to first activate a different SIM card on L2 to free up ICCID2 so that it could be activated on L1. You cannot activate a SIM card on a line if that SIM card is currently active on another line.

You would need a third SIM card ICCID3 and an IMEI of a third phone to do what you want to do. You would have to first activate ICCID3 on L2, then you could activate ICCID2 on L1.
    Sorry, I'll try and explain better. When I had one active line, I wanted to put ICCID1 from my S9 (active) into my iP8 (no SIM card / not active). I logged into my account and entered the IMEI of the iP8 and also used ICCID1. Then I physically removed the sim card from the S9 and put into iP8. Rebooted, and the iP8 works perfectly with that old ICCID1 sim. Before (as in a few months ago when I tried), this was not the case. I would need to call Verizon to have things switched. I could not simply remove the SIM card and put it into the phone because the system distinguished iPhone from Android. That's what I was told was the reason, fwiw.

Now that I have two active lines, I just want to switch the phone numbers between the two when I feel like it. No physical SIM card switching. You can do this in your account online, but when I try it it says SIMs aren't compatible and I can't switch the numbers. If I had two iPhones it would work.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I'll try and explain better. When I had one active line, I wanted to put ICCID1 from my S9 (active) into my iP8 (no SIM card / not active). I logged into my account and entered the IMEI of the iP8 and also used ICCID1. Then I physically removed the sim card from the S9 and put into iP8. Rebooted, and the iP8 works perfectly with that old ICCID1 sim.

Before (as in a few months ago when I tried), this was not the case. I would need to call Verizon to have things switched. I could not simply remove the SIM card and put it into the phone because the system distinguished iPhone from Android. That's what I was told was the reason, fwiw.
    Like I said, there did used to be different SIM cards for Android and iPhones. Your S9 is a newer device so it has one of the newer SIM cards.

Now that I have two active lines, I just want to switch the phone numbers between the two when I feel like it. No physical SIM card switching. You can do this in your account online, but when I try it it says SIMs aren't compatible and I can't switch the numbers. If I had two iPhones it would work.
    No it would not work if you had 2 iPhones. The reason you can't do what you want to do is for the reason I stated above. You can't activate a SIM card on a line while it is still active on another line. You simply cannot do what you want to do and it has nothing to do with Android vs. iPhones and SIM card types.

The only way to swap 2 active SIM cards is by doing it physically, powering down both devices, removing the SIM cards and swapping them. That has nothing to do with what kind of devices they are, it is because there is no way to do what you want to do online without a 3rd SIM card and a placeholder device. You can't have a SIM card active on 2 lines at one time. So in order to free up a SIM card to be activated on a different line, you need another SIM card and a placeholder device.

L1, ICCID1 - S9

L2, ICCID2 - iP8

You need a 3rd SIM card and placeholder device to do what you want to do. You must first activate ICCID3 with a placeholder device on L2 to free up ICCID2/iP8 to be activated on L1.

L1, ICCID2 - iP8

L2, ICCID3 - placeholder device

After that, ICCID1/S9 would be freed up to activate on L2.

L1, ICCID2 - iP8

L2, ICCID1 - S9

Feedback Score
    Now that I have two active lines, I just want to switch the phone numbers between the two when I feel like it. No physical SIM card switching. You can do this in your account online, but when I try it it says SIMs aren't compatible and I can't switch the numbers.
    The only thing I can think of that you can try is to suspend L2 and try to activate ICCID2 on L1 and see if the system will let you do it with L2 suspended. Idk if it will or not.

If you have an older SIM card, like I said call 611 and get them to mail you a new one for free. The older SIM cards used to be different for Android and iPhones. That's not true of the newer SIM cards.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The only thing I can think of that you can try is to suspend L2 and try to activate ICCID2 on L1 and see if the system will let you do it with L2 suspended. Idk if it will or not.

If you have an older SIM card, like I said call 611 and get them to mail you a new one for free. The older SIM cards used to be different for Android and iPhones. That's not true of the newer SIM cards.
    Thank you for your input. I went to the VZW store and was again told the same thing re: incompatible SIM cards, that certain SIMs work in iPhone and certain SIMs work in Droids. I politely asked them to just please give me an "Android" SIM card so we can just try it. Sure enough as I suspected and as you say, the iPhone works perfectly on the alleged Android-only SIM card. I did have to call CS to set up the voice mail again on the iPhone.

But, I can now physically switch out the SIM cards between the S9 and iPhone 8 and they both work perfectly. Switched out twice just to make sure it works, and all is good, voice mail included. The online system doesn't like this. If I try and select the "swap phone numbers between devices" option it shows incorrect / old SIM information for the iPhone (still shows the old "Apple only" SIM that the VZW store threw away for me).

But on the main "My Verizon" page where I can view my devices, both lines are as they should be and the correct ICCIDs are associated with the correct phone.

So strange, but at least it works for now and I can just physically switch the SIM cards without going online.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your input. I went to the VZW store and was again told the same thing re: incompatible SIM cards, that certain SIMs work in iPhone and certain SIMs work in Droids. I politely asked them to just please give me an "Android" SIM card so we can just try it. Sure enough as I suspected and as you say, the iPhone works perfectly on the alleged Android-only SIM card. I did have to call CS to set up the voice mail again on the iPhone.
    So either that store has old SIM cards or those reps aren't aware that the newer SIM cards are universal.

Feedback Score
    The new Sims are not universal. That is not correct. Android devices use NFC sim cards and iPhones use sim cards that are non NFC. While either one will work in either device the system will only input and allow you to activate a device with a correctly compatible sim. An Android device with an iPhone non NFC sim will have no NFC functionality. An iPhone with an NFC sim really won't have any issue. In the past things like voicemail wouldn't work right and even HD Voice wouldn't activate with the wrong sim. It has to do with the system knowing which one goes with which device and sees it as incompatible so certain features don't attach right and can cause issues.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    The new Sims are not universal. That is not correct. Android devices use NFC sim cards and iPhones use sim cards that are non NFC. While either one will work in either device the system will only input and allow you to activate a device with a correctly compatible sim. An Android device with an iPhone non NFC sim will have no NFC functionality. An iPhone with an NFC sim really won't have any issue. In the past things like voicemail wouldn't work right and even HD Voice wouldn't activate with the wrong sim. It has to do with the system knowing which one goes with which device and sees it as incompatible so certain features don't attach right and can cause issues.
    This would explain why the online system doesn't like it and displayed incorrect SIM info for the iPhone. But otherwise, the iPhone worked perfectly with the "Android" SIM. I cancelled the 2nd line and just went back to my single line / old "New" Verizon Unlimited plan. Makes no sense to keep the line if I have to physically switch the SIM card. I can do this just fine with one line. Was worth a shot. Gives me an excuse to try out T-Mobile on my iPhone now. I wonder if other carriers are the same way. It was a real pain the butt w/ Verizon.

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    BTW, the issue with NFC SIMs has to do with what is called a "secure element" in NFC SIMs, which is cryptographic hardware used in some NFC pay systems. SIMs are not just memory storage devices; they actually have computational logic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast