Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Report Says Charter Plans June 30 Launch for Spectrum Mobile

Attachment 157837

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/S...Pricing-141756
    https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...pectrum-mobile

Charter is planning to debut its Spectrum Mobile wireless service on June 30, according to DSLReports.

The report, which cited an unnamed source familiar with the operator’s plan, also indicated that Charter’s wireless service will “largely mirror” Comcast’s pricing for its Xfinity Mobile service. Charter CEO Tom Rutledge hinted at that possibility on a company earnings call in early February, when he said Comcast “did a really nice job” with its pricing model for its mobile service, which launched early last year.

Like Comcast, Charter will offer broadband customers unlimited data for $45 per month, or users can pay $12 per gigabyte, DSLReports reported.

Charter has not commented about the report, but officials previously said the company was planning a mid-year launch of Spectrum Mobile.

It’s also not surprising Charter plans to emulate the pricing of Xfinity Mobile, which finished the first quarter with 577,000 customer lines.

Both wireless services are based on similar MVNO deals with Verizon, and Charter and Comcast previously struck a partnership for wireless research. Last month, they announced a joint venture to develop and design unified backend systems for their respective mobile services.

Charter recently launched a field trial of its wireless service with about 5,000 employees, and has modified retail stores and set up call centers ahead of the commercial launch, Rutledge said in April on the company’s first quarter earnings call.

Ultimately, Charter aims to use its Spectrum Mobile service to attract and retain cable customers through bundling options, he noted.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    From the dslreports article:

The "unlimited" data option will include 20 gigabytes of usage, at which point users will be throttled back for the remainder of their billing cycle (if it mirrors Comcast's own offerings here as well, that should be around 1.5 Mbps).

If true, what.a.joke

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    From the dslreports article:

The "unlimited" data option will include 20 gigabytes of usage, at which point users will be throttled back for the remainder of their billing cycle (if it mirrors Comcast's own offerings here as well, that should be around 1.5 Mbps).

If true, what.a.joke
    How is that a joke? Verizon Beyond unlimited has 10 GB cap on tethering which is then throttled to 600 kbps. Go unlimited is 600 kbps from the start. If this is like Comcast's version you get 1.5 Mbps. Also $45 per line. We have 3 lines on Go. That's $150. Line with largest use uses maybe 16-18 GB a month.

Also compared to Verizon tired plans this is MUCH better. 1.5 Mbps compared to 128 kbps safety mode? No brainer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    How is that a joke? Verizon Beyond unlimited has 10 GB cap on tethering which is then throttled to 600 kbps. Go unlimited is 600 kbps from the start. If this is like Comcast's version you get 1.5 Mbps. Also $45 per line. We have 3 lines on Go. That's $150. Line with largest use uses maybe 16-18 GB a month.

Also compared to Verizon tired plans this is MUCH better. 1.5 Mbps compared to 128 kbps safety mode? No brainer.
    I can't tell from the article if the service will also offer unlimited talk/text. If so, then it's not a bad deal. The way the article is written it seems like it's only for data (sort of like a hotspot as you described). If it's data only, this is a terrible deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    I can't tell from the article if the service will also offer unlimited talk/text. If so, then it's not a bad deal. The way the article is written it seems like it's only for data (sort of like a hotspot as you described). If it's data only, this is a terrible deal.
    Seriously? It's a PHONE plan. Why would they offer PHONE and LINES if it was data only? Sure people are totally going to switch their PHONE lines to a service that doesn't provide talk/text. What MNVO offers PHONE service without talk/text? Unlimited talk/text has been standard for years now.

Here from Xfinity support

All Xfinity Mobile lines have unlimited domestic calling and texting.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo/Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a friend who just joined Xfinity and one issue is ping times. He is consistently above 100 (around 150) when doing speed tests. There are couple of forums on Xfinity that discusses this issue. Interestingly, Xfinity itself says that it terms of use is for ping speeds below 100.

I hope Charter does not have the same issue as I was planning to sign up for their plans based on pricing.

Feedback Score
    Seriously? It's a PHONE plan. Why would they offer PHONE and LINES if it was data only? Sure people are totally going to switch their PHONE lines to a service that doesn't provide talk/text. What MNVO offers PHONE service without talk/text? Unlimited talk/text has been standard for years now.

Here from Xfinity support

All Xfinity Mobile lines have unlimited domestic calling and texting.
    It will be interesting to see how prioritization will be handled since this is basically a MVNO. Im wondering if they’ll have a better agreement with Verizon than other MVNO providers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Attachment 157837

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/S...Pricing-141756
    https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...pectrum-mobile

Charter is planning to debut its Spectrum Mobile wireless service on June 30, according to DSLReports.

The report, which cited an unnamed source familiar with the operator’s plan, also indicated that Charter’s wireless service will “largely mirror” Comcast’s pricing for its Xfinity Mobile service. Charter CEO Tom Rutledge hinted at that possibility on a company earnings call in early February, when he said Comcast “did a really nice job” with its pricing model for its mobile service, which launched early last year.

Like Comcast, Charter will offer broadband customers unlimited data for $45 per month, or users can pay $12 per gigabyte, DSLReports reported.

Charter has not commented about the report, but officials previously said the company was planning a mid-year launch of Spectrum Mobile.

It’s also not surprising Charter plans to emulate the pricing of Xfinity Mobile, which finished the first quarter with 577,000 customer lines.

Both wireless services are based on similar MVNO deals with Verizon, and Charter and Comcast previously struck a partnership for wireless research. Last month, they announced a joint venture to develop and design unified backend systems for their respective mobile services.

Charter recently launched a field trial of its wireless service with about 5,000 employees, and has modified retail stores and set up call centers ahead of the commercial launch, Rutledge said in April on the company’s first quarter earnings call.

Ultimately, Charter aims to use its Spectrum Mobile service to attract and retain cable customers through bundling options, he noted.
    I would never use Charter after my horrific experience with them for cable modem. I moved to AT&T wireless for an unlimited ipad data plan which has no throttling of speeds and costs less. Charter is an MVNO and has no control over the network and their own conpany is horribly run. If you want Verizon then use Verizon directly. Charter plays games and in order to make money at these levels, they will have to seriously throttle, deprioritize, provide super poor levels of customer service, and the like.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I would never use Charter after my horrific experience with them for cable modem. I moved to AT&T wireless for an unlimited ipad data plan which has no throttling of speeds and costs less. Charter is an MVNO and has no control over the network and their own conpany is horribly run. If you want Verizon then use Verizon directly. Charter plays games and in order to make money at these levels, they will have to seriously throttle, deprioritize, provide super poor levels of customer service, and the like.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm pretty indifferent with Charter. I used them at one point because I rented a room to a guy who was a big baseball fan and he wanted to use that service but I personally never had any big issues with them.

What's interesting with the other MVNO (Xfinity) is that 27 % of their net adds actually have come from Verizon. So Verizon is losing customers to its own MVNO but in the grand scheme of things it evens out since a MVNO customer is still a Verizon sub.

That same report mentioned that some former Verizon customers thought the service was "better," with Xfinity, even though we all know the network is the same.

I think Verizon is betting big on allowing its MVNO's to grow its subscriber base and the CableCo's are looking for ways to reduce churn by bundling. Some say Verizon struck gold by working with Big Cable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I'm pretty indifferent with Charter. I used them at one point because I rented a room to a guy who was a big baseball fan and he wanted to use that service but I personally never had any big issues with them.

What's interesting with the other MVNO (Xfinity) is that 27 % of their net adds actually have come from Verizon. So Verizon is losing customers to its own MVNO but in the grand scheme of things it evens out since a MVNO customer is still a Verizon sub.

That same report mentioned that some former Verizon customers thought the service was "better," with Xfinity, even though we all know the network is the same.

I think Verizon is betting big on allowing its MVNO's to grow its subscriber base and the CableCo's are looking for ways to reduce churn by bundling. Some say Verizon struck gold by working with Big Cable.
    Big cable has to pay Verizon for using the network for deprioritized and throttled coverage. Charter will have to offload significant usage to their own wifi networks which have slower speeds and at times may not even work well.

Verizon isn’t giving Charter much in terms of service but will charge a premium price for access to their network. They will not let Charter interfere with regular Verizon customers.

Feedback Score

Report Says Charter Plans June 30 Launch for Spectrum Mobile

Let’s also remember that Verizon is very dependent on Comcast, and Spectrum. Who has the fiber infrastructure in place so that it is possible for Verizon to have such a vast cellular network in the first place?!? Verizon is dependent on spectrum, and spectrum is dependent on Verizon. With that said I think the level of service that a consumer will receive will be really decent.

Feedback Score
    Big cable has to pay Verizon for using the network for deprioritized and throttled coverage. Charter will have to offload significant usage to their own wifi networks which have slower speeds and at times may not even work well.

Verizon isn’t giving Charter much in terms of service but will charge a premium price for access to their network. They will not let Charter interfere with regular Verizon customers.
    Where is this info coming from? Your butt? The reason why Comcast and Charter are getting access is because they sold their band 4 spectrum to Verizon for a measly $3.6 bil. Part of the deal was Charter and Comcast get to use of Verizon's network for a MVNO. So no their won't be a "premium charge" If it wasn't for the cable companies Verizon wouldn't have ANY band 4. These aren't your typical MNVOs Comcast and Charter do offer benefits to Verizon. Verizon uses both companies fiber as backhaul. I know they use Charter for backhaul in my town. It would be really dumb for them to be jerks to Charter, Comcast. Seems like mutually beneficial relationship.

Also in Charter is testing mid band spectrum 3.5 GHz and 5 GHz for future use. Comcast did get some 600 MHz spectrum in the last auction.

Feedback Score
    Where is this info coming from? Your butt? The reason why Comcast and Charter are getting access is because they sold their band 4 spectrum to Verizon for a measly $3.6 bil. Part of the deal was Charter and Comcast get to use of Verizon's network for a MVNO. So no their won't be a "premium charge" If it wasn't for the cable companies Verizon wouldn't have ANY band 4. These aren't your typical MNVOs Comcast and Charter do offer benefits to Verizon. Verizon uses both companies fiber as backhaul. I know they use Charter for backhaul in my town. It would be really dumb for them to be jerks to Charter, Comcast. Seems like mutually beneficial relationship.

Also in Charter is testing mid band spectrum 3.5 GHz and 5 GHz for future use. Comcast did get some 600 MHz spectrum in the last auction.
    I agree Jack! I have two friends that work at Spectrum. What you mentioned was explained to me by them. In my opinion Comcast and Spectrum may even have more priority or benefits over all of the other MNVO’s that utilize reds network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick1224 View Post
    I agree Jack! I have two friends that work at Spectrum. What you mentioned was explained to me by them. In my opinion Comcast and Spectrum may even have more priority or benefits over all of the other MNVO’s that utilize reds network.
    Notice Comcast depri/throttle is higher than even Verizon's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast