Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travelling from Canada

Feedback Score

Travelling from Canada

Several colleagues are travelling from Canada to Hawaii and possibly a few days to elsewhere in the states.
    IN the past They used their cellphone providers travelling package (ie from ROGERS or FIDO)...for a couple of days away.
    Now they have noticed the price per day is about $7?? That is way too much for an extended vacation!
    They all have unlocked Iphones and maybe one unlocked android phone.
    What is the cheapest option for talk and a bit of data.
    Should something be set up before they leave canada, or when they arrive in Hawaii, should they stop off somewhere
    to set up their cellphones... looking for the cheapest option, seeing as their are several of them needing this.
    (is any of the operators giving out free SIM cards? or is it a thing of the past).
    thanks for any tips.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'd suggest Red Pocket as one to consider. You can choose any of the 4 major US networks; Vzw, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint. I'd suggest Vzw, however, I doubt that any of the phones coming from Canada would be compatible for activation on Vzw. If that's true, I'd suggest AT&T next.

https://www.redpocket.com/plan

2 options available, among others:

$10 /30 days
    500 MB LTE Data

$15 /30 days
    1 GB LTE Data
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'd suggest Red Pocket as one to consider. You can choose any of the 4 major US networks; Vzw, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint. I'd suggest Vzw, however, I doubt that any of the phones coming from Canada would be compatible for activation on Vzw. If that's true, I'd suggest AT&T next.

https://www.redpocket.com/plan

2 options available, among others:

$10 /30 days
    500 MB LTE Data

$15 /30 days
    1 GB LTE Data
    thanks Boz1, I will pass this link on to them.. I assume they have to set everything up in Canada before leaving?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky89 View Post
    thanks Boz1, I will pass this link on to them.. I assume they have to set everything up in Canada before leaving?
    It would be best to get the SIM card and plan and activate online before the trip starts. But testing would have to wait until they get to the US, because Red Pocket doesn't allow service in Canada.

Feedback Score
    It would be best to get the SIM card and plan and activate online before the trip starts. But testing would have to wait until they get to the US, because Red Pocket doesn't allow service in Canada.
    oh OK . i did not realize that they could not test in Canada...they will have to wait to get to USA thanks for clarification.

Feedback Score
    Several colleagues are travelling from Canada to Hawaii and possibly a few days to elsewhere in the states.
    IN the past They used their cellphone providers travelling package (ie from ROGERS or FIDO)...for a couple of days away.
    Now they have noticed the price per day is about $7?? That is way too much for an extended vacation!
    What does that $7 per day include? If that included unlimited talk and text (or a large amount of talk and text, especially back to Canada or to Canadian numbers [i.e., others in the party]) and a good amount of data, that sounds like a steal for a Canadian provider roaming in the United States. And no having to figure out getting temporary US service, and getting to use your real mobile number. Just think, Wifi-only access in the hotel (and nowhere else) would run you at least double that.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    What does that $7 per day include? If that included unlimited talk and text (or a large amount of talk and text, especially back to Canada or to Canadian numbers [i.e., others in the party]) and a good amount of data, that sounds like a steal for a Canadian provider roaming in the United States. And no having to figure out getting temporary US service, and getting to use your real mobile number. Just think, Wifi-only access in the hotel (and nowhere else) would run you at least double that.
    Most hotels have free WiFi. But it would be worth confirming.

Feedback Score
    from rogers and fido , i believe the $7/day allows you to use your own plan while traveling as if you were at home.
    so for example if your own plan is unlimited talk with 2g data.. then for 7/day allows you access to your own plan as if you were at home . so of course if you go over your data .. its still extra (like if you were at home).

Feedback Score
    Most hotels have free WiFi. But it would be worth confirming.
    It's been my experience, the higher the quality of hotel, the more they charge for WiFi (excluding free WiFi in the lobby, for example). So while you can often find free WiFi at Motel 6, it's unheard of at Hyatt or Westin. And then some of those brands make you pay more for faster WiFi speeds. I reiterate, you can't take that (expensive) WiFi with you when you leave the hotel.

from rogers and fido , i believe the $7/day allows you to use your own plan while traveling as if you were at home.
    so for example if your own plan is unlimited talk with 2g data.. then for 7/day allows you access to your own plan as if you were at home . so of course if you go over your data .. its still extra (like if you were at home).
    The last time I used a local SIM in Canada, I chose Fido. Once I came back to the United States, Fido roamed on T-Mobile until my balance ran out. Fido offered to sell me more data, but it would only take a Canadian billing address online (in store my US credit card worked fine). So I'd say go ahead and look at the temporary US service, but in a pinch, go with what you have.

Feedback Score
    Firstly they need to check if their phones are SIM-unlocked.

Also a note about data: check that the specific Canadian phone model supports the US LTE bands.
    For example AT&T bands 5 and 30 are unused in Canada and band 2 only used on Bell. Same consideration for T-Mobile band 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#USA,_US_Territories,_Canada_& _Bolivia_(FCC_band_plan)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Firstly they need to check if their phones are SIM-unlocked.

Also a note about data: check that the specific Canadian phone model supports the US LTE bands.
    For example AT&T bands 5 and 30 are unused in Canada and band 2 only used on Bell. Same consideration for T-Mobile band 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#USA,_US_Territories,_Canada_& _Bolivia_(FCC_band_plan)
    First, it's already been stated that the iPhones are all unlocked.

Second, it's already been stated that the Canadian providers are Rogers and Fido.

Third, I think any recent iPhones sold in Canada should be fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    .... I reiterate, you can't take that (expensive) WiFi with you when you leave the hotel.
    Cell service (portable) is the reason lucky89 started this thread. You're the one that started talking about hotel WiFi...

Feedback Score
    First, it's already been stated that the iPhones are all unlocked.
    That's not true by default, even if people think so. Here in US only Verizon ones are unlocked by default, because the class action suit. I know for sure that my daughter iPhone here in US is SIM-locked.
    And it might be the same in Canada, don't know, that's why I said that they need to double check that.
    And yes, the iPhones 6 and newer have all the bands, but he said something about an Android phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has tourist plans available to consider if you are traveling in an area with good T-Mobile coverage.

Checking T-mobile coverage on a MVNO service would probably be an easy way to get rough coverage availability.
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    That's not true by default, even if people think so. Here in US only Verizon ones are unlocked by default, because the class action suit. I know for sure that my daughter iPhone here in US is SIM-locked.
    And it might be the same in Canada, don't know, that's why I said that they need to double check that.
    And yes, the iPhones 6 and newer have all the bands, but he said something about an Android phone.
    Let me try again, although you could just as easily read the original post. Actually, I'll just copy and paste: "They all have unlocked Iphones and maybe one unlocked android phone".

I didn't say that ALL iPhones are unlocked. I was just referencing what the poster said, which is that all the phones that will be used are unlocked.

By the way, Canada passed a law saying that all phones must be unlocked upon request.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast