Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto X 4th generation $249 at Best Buy with 20% off Cricket refill but must buy a SIM

Feedback Score

Moto X 4th generation $249 at Best Buy with 20% off Cricket refill but must buy a SIM

I've been looking for a new phone for the spousal unit since her $20 Cricket LG Escape 3 kind of sucks.

She absolutely doesn't want anything larger than a 5.2" screen. I got her the Escape 3 because it was 5.0". She has an iPhone for work and didn't want the iPhone Plus which they would have gotten her.

Other than the iPhone, there is a dearth of full-featured phones of smaller physical size, the trend is to 5.5", 5.8", and larger screens.

I saw that Best Buy has dropped the Moto X4 to $250 if you buy a Cricket SIM, plus they're offering 20% off one Cricket refill. Don't need the $10 SIM but if I remove it from the cart the phone price goes up by $50.

She's not too picky about phones and hopefully that 1/10" increase in height and width over her current LG phone will be okay. She doesn't play games at all on her phone though she does use it for photos occasionally.

Here's the basic requirements:

Unlocked
    Micro SD Card Slot
    3.5mm headphone jack
    1920x1080 minimum resolution
    32GB minimum ROM
    Magnetometer
    Maximum 5.2" screen
    Fast charging
    LTE bands for world travel
    Water resistant

Would prefer NFC, USB-C, Fingerprint sensor, and FM radio, but these are not vital.

When I search on B&H the Moto X4 is the only model that comes up with these pretty basic requirements.

Feedback Score
    You are like a broken record with these arbitrary specs.

The magnetometer is in virtually every phone. I'm curious what specifically you think isn't going to work without. Also which phone doesn't have it?
    1080. I'd bet money you can't tell a 1080 screen from a 720. If you didn't know the phone Alex specs you'd be clueless.
    32GB. What the hell are you installing? I have the most in my house at 9GB.
    How often do you leave the country that doesn't have standard GSM bands?
    Every phone can be unlocked.
    You are the only who cares about this ridiculous list. You've posted it dozens of time, do you keep a copy and paste or type it out each time? Your wife doesn't seem to care or know them so this sounds like a you thing. Buy it and see if she likes. I bet she'll care more about the UI and perceived speeds than anything else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    1080. I'd bet money you can't tell a 1080 screen from a 720.
    I'll take this bet. Pm me how much and where you want to meet to conduct this test. It will be a pleasure taking your money. Not to mention, I've never heard anyone in my life try to convince people that 9gb of storage on a device is perfect, that they shouldn't want anymore. Lmao. Thanks for that laugh, but seriously, let me know when you want to do this test and how much you're willing to lose doing it.

As for the op the x4 for 249 is the best deal youre gonna find for a device with those requirements. The nice thing about the x4 is it's compatible with all 4 u.s. carriers also, so if you ever want to leave cricket you wouldn't have to worry about compatibility issues with it no matter where you went to.

Feedback Score
    Been some decent deals on the Moto G5 Plus lately. Should be able to grab one for $170.00 or less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Been some decent deals on the Moto G5 Plus lately. Should be able to grab one for $170.00 or less.
    Yes it's a good deal. The U.S. model lacks NFC but has a magnetometer. The non-U.S. version is the opposite. Costco has the G5 Plus for $180. The G6 is coming very soon, but it's too large. Newegg is sold out with their $170 deal, but I think I'd rather pay the extra $10 to get it from Costco anyway.

Feedback Score
    You are like a broken record with these arbitrary specs.

The magnetometer is in virtually every phone. I'm curious what specifically you think isn't going to work without. Also which phone doesn't have it?
    1080. I'd bet money you can't tell a 1080 screen from a 720. If you didn't know the phone Alex specs you'd be clueless.
    32GB. What the hell are you installing? I have the most in my house at 9GB.
    How often do you leave the country that doesn't have standard GSM bands?
    Every phone can be unlocked.
    You are the only who cares about this ridiculous list. You've posted it dozens of time, do you keep a copy and paste or type it out each time? Your wife doesn't seem to care or know them so this sounds like a you thing. Buy it and see if she likes. I bet she'll care more about the UI and perceived speeds than anything else.
    NWTAKIATKN

1. Many low end phones lack a magnetometer. Without it, compass apps do not work, and these apps are quite useful when hiking as you can overlay a compass onto a topographic map.

2. Most people can tell a 1920 x 1080 screen from a 1280 x 720 screen. It's a different story for 2560 x 1440 since over about 400 PPI it's hard to tell the difference, though side by side you could probably tell on some apps.

3. 16GB can work as long as you have a high-capacity MicroSD card and format it as a memory extension. But there are disadvantages to using "Adoptable Storage." It's a lot slower to use the memory on the MicroSD card than the internal memory. Once you use the MicroSD card as Adoptable storage you can't stick it into a computer to transfer photos out or media files in. Bottom line, don't buy a new phone with less than 32GB unless your needs are extremely basic, and of course if the phone lacks a MicroSD card slot, don't settle for less than 64GB. One app I use is OSMAND (free) which stores maps, including contour lines (small cost) locally so you can use it without using up data (and where data is not available).

4. The difficulty of unlocking a phone varies greatly. iPhones are especially difficult to unlock and can't normally be unlocked without the carrier's help (of course you can just buy the iPhone already unlocked, directly from Apple or Verizon). Android phones vary in the difficulty and expense of unlocking without the carrier's assistance. LG phones are usually very cheap to unlock, Samsung more costly.

5. While some people never leave the U.S., if you do travel outside the U.S., and want to use a prepaid SIM card it's often necessary to have support for LTE bands supported by the prepaid carrier. This is especially the case in some Asian countries.

6. Even when they don't explicitly state their needs, I'm pretty sure that many people on HoFo have minimum requirements for the phones that they buy when it comes to screen resolution, performance, storage, and specific other hardware features, though many may not even realize that not all phones are equipped with the same collection of sensors, radios, and charging technology. when you search for phones on various web sites, all of the hardware and software features are generally selectable in order to narrow down acceptable choices.

Beyond what's searchable, how many people understand the difference between an iPhone purchased directly from Apple or Verizon, and one purchased from AT&T or T-Mobile. Ditto for Samsung Galaxy phones. The iPhones have different hardware inside while the U.S. Samsung Galaxy phones have firmware that enables or disables different features. I.e. an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960U) for $720 is not the same as the S9 purchased from Cricket for $500 even if the hardware inside is the same.
    Last edited by smsgator; 05-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    2. Most people can tell a 1920 x 1080 screen from a 1280 x 720 screen. It's a different story for 2560 x 1440 since over about 400 PPI it's hard to tell the difference.
    I am with you on this one. 720 to 1080 is quite obvious difference. from 1080 to 1440, it's more subtle. I have a Galaxy S8+, and I've switched resolutions between the 3, and the biggest difference is from 720 to 1080. Though, for my parents who are in there late 70s, they could barely tell the difference.

G5+ is actually a decent phone. I got it for $159 during Black Friday last year. Although its size is not that much different than my Galaxy S8+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post
    I am with you on this one. 720 to 1080 is quite obvious difference. from 1080 to 1440, it's more subtle. I have a Galaxy S8+, and I've switched resolutions between the 3, and the biggest difference is from 720 to 1080. Though, for my parents who are in there late 70s, they could barely tell the difference.

G5+ is actually a decent phone. I got it for $159 during Black Friday last year. Although its size is not that much different than my Galaxy S8+.
    I doubt if anyone would be unable to distinguish between 720 versus 1080, it's a significant difference and 720 screens are way below "retina" quality. Technically a true "retina" display would be 477 PPI or greater, and only the higher end phones are that high (despite one manufacturer using "retina" very loosely).

The Moto G5 Plus and the Moto X4 are both at 424 PPI.
    The Samsung Galaxy S9 is at 568 PPI, and the S9+ is at 531 PPI.
    The iPhone X is at 458 PPI and the iPhone 8 Plus is at 401 PPI. There is little upside for Apple to get into a PPI battle with their flagship iPhone X against the Samsung Galaxy S9 (the closest competitor to the X).

I suspect that Apple will soon move to a higher resolution screen on their mid-range iPhone 8s or iPhone 9 (whatever they call it) models, not so much because it's necessary, but to give existing users some reason to upgrade from the 6s and 7. Apple never intended for the X to be considered the competitor to the Galaxy S8 and S9, they wanted to position the 8 Plus as the competitor to the S8 and S9. They also will likely introduce something to compete against the larger screen models like the Note 8 and the 9+.
    Last edited by smsgator; 05-09-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post

Actually the S8 non-+ is slightly smaller than the G5+ despite the larger screen, and only very slightly taller than the X4.

Feedback Score
    Moto X4 is a very nice phone with list of features provided by OP. I sold most of my low end 16GB phones and bought X4 instead. It will be good for at least two years before 5G phones become common. Make sure that you put it in a case on day one since it is very slippery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    NWTAKIATKN

1. Many low end phones lack a magnetometer. Without it, compass apps do not work, and these apps are quite useful when hiking as you can overlay a compass onto a topographic map.

2. Most people can tell a 1920 x 1080 screen from a 1280 x 720 screen. It's a different story for 2560 x 1440 since over about 400 PPI it's hard to tell the difference, though side by side you could probably tell on some apps.

3. 16GB can work as long as you have a high-capacity MicroSD card and format it as a memory extension. But there are disadvantages to using "Adoptable Storage." It's a lot slower to use the memory on the MicroSD card than the internal memory. Once you use the MicroSD card as Adoptable storage you can't stick it into a computer to transfer photos out or media files in. Bottom line, don't buy a new phone with less than 32GB unless your needs are extremely basic, and of course if the phone lacks a MicroSD card slot, don't settle for less than 64GB. One app I use is OSMAND (free) which stores maps, including contour lines (small cost) locally so you can use it without using up data (and where data is not available).

4. The difficulty of unlocking a phone varies greatly. iPhones are especially difficult to unlock and can't normally be unlocked without the carrier's help (of course you can just buy the iPhone already unlocked, directly from Apple or Verizon). Android phones vary in the difficulty and expense of unlocking without the carrier's assistance. LG phones are usually very cheap to unlock, Samsung more costly.

5. While some people never leave the U.S., if you do travel outside the U.S., and want to use a prepaid SIM card it's often necessary to have support for LTE bands supported by the prepaid carrier. This is especially the case in some Asian countries.

6. Even when they don't explicitly state their needs, I'm pretty sure that many people on HoFo have minimum requirements for the phones that they buy when it comes to screen resolution, performance, storage, and specific other hardware features, though many may not even realize that not all phones are equipped with the same collection of sensors, radios, and charging technology. when you search for phones on various web sites, all of the hardware and software features are generally selectable in order to narrow down acceptable choices.

Beyond what's searchable, how many people understand the difference between an iPhone purchased directly from Apple or Verizon, and one purchased from AT&T or T-Mobile. Ditto for Samsung Galaxy phones. The iPhones have different hardware inside while the U.S. Samsung Galaxy phones have firmware that enables or disables different features. I.e. an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960U) for $720 is not the same as the S9 purchased from Cricket for $500 even if the hardware inside is the same.
    I just want to make sure I am to understand this. You are a world traveling hiker, who instead of carrying a simple compass relies on your phone while in the wilderness...

1. No one serious about hiking would risk their life to use a phone as a compass. You can use many map programs offline simply with the GPS radio. Granted it isn't a compass, but I'd be interested in seeing who here has a compass program installed. If you can install it in the woods, you don't need that compass because you have a cell signal. My boyscout instructor would've thrown that **** in the lake.
    2. Around 300DPI is considered the limit of the human eye.

SIC "A screen with a 5 inch (12.70 cm) diagonal, and the typical square-pixel aspect ratio of 16:9, measures about 2.45 inch × 4.36 inch.

Thus the pixel density of this screen at 720×1280 would be about 293 DPI, and about 440 DPI at 1080×1920."

I would venture a guess that on any modern phone a screen that is 720 vs 1080 is likely to be a better quality display on the 1080 just because I think the rest of the phone is going to have the hardware to show it off. 720 screen really are budget displays now and as such you are likely going to get what you get.

Little chart for you to reference. That is in inches, though the graph doesn't say. Not sure how close people view the screens, but I keep mine further than 5".

3. 16GB. I didn't say it was the facto. I said I have a TON of crap loaded and am sitting under 10GB. I personally do not recommend formatting the SD card as internal storage. You probably know the reasons. I keep all my stuff on the SD except apps. Games in my experience take up the majority of space. I don't want to play them on a 5" screen, but that's just me. This isn't me going Gates and saying no one will ever need more the 640K of memory, I am just illustrating how ridiculous your list really is.
    4. Every phone can be unlocked. It was mandated years ago., If it cost money it cost money. Some are more, some are less. This, if needed, should be factored into the cost of the device.
    5. Plenty of GSM bands available all over the world. Unless you are buying a bare bones budget phone, you likely will have service in one of these areas. Furthermore. How often are you really traveling? I took you to mean this as abroad and not Canada and Mexico. They have very dense populations for the most part in the Euro-zone, coverage is quite good when I have visited.
    6. What is your point? You keep spamming this pointless list and wanting people to help you decide based upon these specs.

Regarding the FM radio. virtually all the Qualcomm chips have it, it is very rarely advertised. I use NextRadio. Supposedly a list of supported devices, no idea how accurate though.
    http://nextradioapp.com/supporteddevices/

You never mentioned, do you type this out each time or keep you a nice little copy and past on every machine you post from.

Now let me get to one important thing. The S9 is identical regardless of who you buy it from in the US. The U vs U1 model differentiation do NOT stop you from flashing the U1 firmware. You can see it in the build information, but it is identical in every way.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Any comment on the camera speed? Most reviews I've seen mention a significant camera lag/shutter time.

Feedback Score
    NWTAKIATKN

Compass
    ----------
    Having topo maps and a compass on your phone is enormously practical when hiking. Often you have no cell signal out in the wilderness, but you do have a GPS signal. Yes, you'd have to install it in advance I don't know how many people have installed a compass app, but the fact that there hundreds of compass apps on the Play Store seems to indicate that there is some demand.

PPI
    ---
    "Although higher PPI is always theoretically better, before making any purchase, you should also know that the eyes of most humans are probably not able to perceive any differences in a PPI that’s higher than a certain limit.

According to the Fundamentals of Digital Imaging in Medicine by Roger Bourne, it seems that the magic number would be 400 PPI if you look at an image found at roughly 16 inches or 40 cm distance from your eyes. That’s because the human eye has 400 sensor cells per millimeter of retina surface."

As several of us have explained, while you might not be able to easily distinguish between a 1920 x 1280 and and a 2960 x 1440 screen of the same dimensions, you could definitely distinguish between a 1920 x 1280 and a 1280 x 720 screen. The PPI race has become as ridiculous as the megapixel race in camera sensors, but there is still a threshold that you want to be at.

Radio
    ------
    There is a big difference between a radio being present in the hardware and the phone manufacturer actually making it available to use. True, most Qualcomm chips have the radio, but a great many phones don't have it enabled.

Unlocking
    -----------
    Since some phones are so difficult or expensive to unlock, it makes sense to buy unlocked phones unless it happens to be a phone that is easy to unlock via a third-party. iPhones are especially difficult to unlock, though there is a hardware device for the SIM card slot that works, sometimes, except on some iPhone models sold by MVNOs like Simple Mobile.

Storage
    ---------
    Remember, just because a phone advertises 16GB of storage you don't get nearly that much. You may not realize just how much space the system data now uses. On my 32GB, Android 7.0, phone I currently have 14GB free, with no music or photos or videos stored in the internal ROM. 8.56GB of system data, 0.9GB of cached data, and 6.62 GB of Apps. When I had an 8GB phone it was hopeless as it kept giving me messages that there was insufficient storage to install an app.

Samsung
    ----------
    While unlike the different U.S. iPhones, the S9 hardware is the same on all phones sold in the U.S., the firmware is not the same.

I don't think you understand the difference between unlocking, rooting, and flashing different firmware, or understand that in order to flash different firmware you first have to be able to root, which is not always possible. For example, it's highly unlikely that a Samsung S9 purchased from Cricket for $500, would work on Verizon once Cricket unlocks it because the manufacturer has disabled the CDMA radios, and Cricket typically prevents rooting on the phones they sell. You may find this helpful: http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-20...-breaking.html

List of Phone Features
    ------------------------
    I have a text file with features. However if you actually have read the posts, the list is not the same each time. Some features are less important to some users, as is the minimum and maximum size. I am pretty sure that most people on HoFo have a similar list, whether they've ever written it down or not. You often see posts from people, after they have purchased a phone, asking about why they can't find some feature that they just assumed would be present, such as NFC, magnetometer, or FM radio, but that has been left out by the manufacturer. Lenovo drives people crazy with their variations, by country, of features. One country will get NFC but not the magnetometer and another country will get the opposite. The manufacturers want to distinguish there different product lines and not have people move to the less profitable lines. For Moto you have the E, G, X, and Z lines, and they're careful to not make the G line as full-featured as the X or Z line.

You may not understand that different people have different needs and desires when it comes to consumer electronics products. For example, many people are very concerned about camera quality on their phones. It's of minor importance to me since I take a better camera with me on trips, and for casual shots that will not be printed, the lower-end phone cameras are adequate. But I would not tell someone for whom the best phone camera is important that they should buy a phone with a lower-end camera.

LTE bands
    -----------
    It doesn't matter how often you travel to countries where you need certain LTE bands available, once is enough. For example, a relative recently traveled to Japan and her older Verizon Samsung Galaxy did not have any of the LTE bands used in Japan. Since Japan does not have any GSM or CDMA service, all services, including voice, are via LTE for phones from other countries. This is a big improvement from when you had to rent a phone in Japan in order to have service.

On the global SIM cards I have, I e-mail the provider prior to traveling to inquire which carriers they have partnered with in the country I'm going to, just to be certain that I can use at least one of those LTE bands. Apple, Moto, and Samsung are pretty good on their newer phones. But Cricket sells a lot of low-end phones with a very small number of LTE bands.

I do understand that many people never leave North America, but I guess that living in Silicon Valley, where most every tech person ends up doing travel to Taiwan, Korea, China, Japan, Israel, or India, at some point, it's hard to remember that not all areas of the country are like that.

Feedback Score
    I had a large post typed up but deleted it. You are wrong about the S9. Buy whatever you want. You seem like a petty control freak and are tripping over dollars to save pennies in my eyes.

I hope you enjoy the phone you buy.

Feedback Score
    I had a large post typed up but deleted it. You are wrong about the S9. Buy whatever you want. You seem like a petty control freak and are tripping over dollars to save pennies in my eyes.

I hope you enjoy the phone you buy.
    NWTAKIATKN

Whatever, I provided you with facts and you choose to ignore them. I urge you to do proper research.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast