Thread: TracFone beating AT&T here

Feedback Score

TracFone beating AT&T here

I'm in Chinle, AZ for a couple days with no hope of getting a cell signal. In our group, a guy with AT&T postpaid has no problem and even my wife's TracFone (which I had thought used AT&T towers) has a signal.

Not really a problem since I don't mind being off the grid for a while, but a reminder of the limitations of the prepaid plan.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    I'm in Chinle, AZ for a couple days with no hope of getting a cell signal. In our group, a guy with AT&T postpaid has no problem and even my wife's TracFone (which I had thought used AT&T towers) has a signal.

Not really a problem since I don't mind being off the grid for a while, but a reminder of the limitations of the prepaid plan.

What phones? This could be band support...

Remember AT&T post-paid has roaming privelages to partner networks, prepaid does not. But I was also under the impression that none of AT&Ts MVNOs could use roaming either.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Moto G5 Plus (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Huawei Honor 7x (AT&T), Axon 7 Mini (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (VZW), HTC 10 (VZW)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Remember AT&T post-paid has roaming privelages to partner networks, prepaid does not. But I was also under the impression that none of AT&Ts MVNOs could use roaming either.
    TracFone/American Movil tends to be an exception to that, they seem to have roaming support better then other prepaid but not quite as good as postpaid.

This scenario is also why, when I'm traveling, I carry a second phone on a carrier different than my primary one. Since I'm on AT&T Prepaid, I carry a TracFone on Verizon. I paid $55 for an Android flip phone (which is *extremely* neat but a whole other topic) with 1 year/1200 minutes/1200 texts/1 GB (or somewhere around that) of data.

Feedback Score

Tracfone actually most commonly used Verizon.

Feedback Score
    TracFone smartphones/BYOPs don't roam from everything I've seen posted in the TracFone section, only the older basic phones do.

Anyone here have a TracFone smartphone/BYOP roaming for calling?

Feedback Score
    Our phones are both BYOP, mine's a Pixel 2 and hers is a Nexus 5. Actually her TracFone connection here is only working for voice and not for data. Not a big deal and sometimes good to be out of touch like the good old days!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Our phones are both BYOP, mine's a Pixel 2 and hers is a Nexus 5. Actually her TracFone connection here is only working for voice and not for data. Not a big deal and sometimes good to be out of touch like the good old days!

The Verizon maps show minimal coverage for 4GLTE or Prepay in Chinle proper. As you travel east a bit into Canyon de Chelly, the Verizon
    coverage improves for both. I was there about 18 months ago & experienced the same - sometimes the coverage is actually better than the map shows in some areas - ya neva know !

AT&T prepay coverage is non existent on the maps - a giant hole in NW AZ- Postpaid shows roaming coverage as mentioned above.
    NW AZ , SE UT both have big holes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

TracFone beating AT&amp;T here

When I was at the Grand Canyon last year, my friend had voice/text and very spotty data coverage with AT&T postpaid, while I had voice/text but no data coverage with Tracfone AT&T. I’ve since switched to Cricket, so I’m wondering if my coverage will be any different next time I visit.

ETA: My friend has an iPhone 6, I have an iPhone 6S+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    As of now Cricket will not work at the Grand Canyon. ATT has no native coverage there.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app