Thread: Will an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 work on T Mobiles 700 LTE?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+ (Personal) iPhone 7 Qualcomm (Work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Personal) Verizon (Work)
    Feedback Score

Will an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 work on T Mobiles 700 LTE?

Tried to go pick up a pre paid sim to test the expansion in coverage TMo just did in my area.
    I've got an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 I was going to use as it will do all the bands they are using in my area.
    However was told by the store rep today that it wouldn't pick up TMos specific 700. Told me I needed to just get a TMo branded device or use a 6s or above.
    I can't really find anything definitive out there. Does anybody know if this is true or not?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If At&t does not operate a 700 MHz license in your area it most likely won't work. Only in select markets will At&t roam on T-Mobile's network. Which city/state do you use the phone ?
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

I'm not trying to roam.
    I want to use an extra phone and a pre paid TMo sim to test coverage. But the TMo rep told me that for some reason an iPhone 5 will not recognize TMo's 700.
    Both AT&T and TMo have 700 licenses and coverage in the area.
    Twain Harte, Ca
    Sonora, Ca

Feedback Score
    They are correct. The iPhone 5 will not pick up TMobile band 12. The 6s is the first band 12 capable iPhone. The confusion may come in because the 5 supports at&t's band 17, or their 700 lte. This explains the differences between 12 and 17 better than I could here. https://amp.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...12_vs_band_17/
    The first comment explains the differences.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sethc0077 View Post
    I'm not trying to roam.
    I want to use an extra phone and a pre paid TMo sim to test coverage. But the TMo rep told me that for some reason an iPhone 5 will not recognize TMo's 700.
    Both AT&T and TMo have 700 licenses and coverage in the area.
    Twain Harte, Ca
    Sonora, Ca
    T-Mobile is using 700 Mhz Block "A" on Band 12. AT&T uses 700 Mhz Block B & C on Band 17. Verizon operates in Upper C Block 700 MHZ spectrum in Band Class 13. This is the reason why AT&T phone didn't support Band 12 until after a few other small networks including Cspire and MetroPCS when to court over interoperability.

C Spire Sues AT & T Over Alleged Collusion

"The antitrust suit takes before the court lower-tier providers’ longstanding belief that AT&T purposely manipulated the 3GPP into creating a class for the 700 MHz band that shut out its competitors from using the same LTE equipment and devices to give it an advantage in the marketplace."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    They are correct. The iPhone 5 will not pick up TMobile band 12. The 6s is the first band 12 capable iPhone. The confusion may come in because the 5 supports at&t's band 17, or their 700 lte. This explains the differences between 12 and 17 better than I could here. https://amp.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...12_vs_band_17/
    The first comment explains the differences.
    Good info, thank you.
    Makes sense now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile is using 700 Mhz Block "A". AT&T uses 700 Mhz Block B & C. This is the reason why AT&T phone didn't support Band 12 until after a few other small networks including Cspire and MetroPCS was going to to court.

"The antitrust suit takes before the court lower-tier providers’ longstanding belief that AT&T purposely manipulated the 3GPP into creating a class for the 700 MHz band that shut out its competitors from using the same LTE equipment and devices to give it an advantage in the marketplace."
    Thank you for the info

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

So I guess the best way to test their network would be to sign up for a postpaid account, pay the $27 activation fee and then I would have 14 days to return the phone and cancel the plan.
    Basically just $27 dollars out of pocket. That's what the rep said anyway.
    Unless anyone else knows any better tricks?

Feedback Score
    So I guess the best way to test their network would be to sign up for a postpaid account, pay the $27 activation fee and then I would have 14 days to return the phone and cancel the plan.
    Basically just $27 dollars out of pocket. That's what the rep said anyway.
    Unless anyone else knows any better tricks?
    If you have a phone number from another carrier you can port into metro pcs, get a free device, pick the 50 unlimited plan, stay 60 days and you get the $100 back. So out of pocket total would just be taxes on the free device when all said and done. You would have to pay the first and second months, but you get the $100 back in the form of a prepaid debit card once you complete 60 days. Metro is owned by TMobile and would give you the experience of the TMobile network.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Since your info pages says you are in Tuolumne County, CA they could have some Band 71 build out in that area. This is the current Band 71 map.

Cheap phones with Band 71 are just starting to show up at T-Mobile.

This page will give you a lot of detail including what phones support Band 71 600 Mhz..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks guys.

I asked about the 600. He said none yet. Hopefully it's in the works.

Feedback Score
    Tried to go pick up a pre paid sim to test the expansion in coverage TMo just did in my area.
    I've got an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 I was going to use as it will do all the bands they are using in my area.
    However was told by the store rep today that it wouldn't pick up TMos specific 700. Told me I needed to just get a TMo branded device or use a 6s or above.
    I can't really find anything definitive out there. Does anybody know if this is true or not?
    No. iPhone 5 doesn't support B12. On att that phone uses att 700 mhz as B17

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile is using 700 Mhz Block "A" on Band 12. AT&T uses 700 Mhz Block B & C on Band 17. Verizon operates in Upper C Block 700 MHZ spectrum in Band Class 13. This is the reason why AT&T phone didn't support Band 12 until after a few other small networks including Cspire and MetroPCS when to court over interoperability.

Was it really that hard for thos carriers to add B17 to there devices?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post

The carriers don't manufacture the phones, they only establish the network protocols that the phone manufacturers install in the phone. If the hardware in the phone doesn't support those certain networks there is no way to enable it short of replacing the phone circuit board/hardware. There is no universal protocol agreed upon by all cellular carriers. Kind of like trying to force an Apple operating system on an Android phone.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post

Band 17 is mainly used for old AT&T phones that don't support Band 12. Since AT&T created the MFBI ( Multi Frequency Band Indicator ) AT&T has started using Band 12 that includes AT&T 700 Mhz Blocks B and lower C. The MFBI helps the older AT&T phones to use Band 12. MFBI was created after the AT&T promised the FCC in 2013 they would use Band 12 to eliminate the interoperability between their different band classes in the 700 MHz band. AT&T created the MFBI to get Cspire from taking AT&T, Motorola, Qualcomm and other equipment MFG to court over Anti-Trust collusion.

C Spire sues AT&T, others for allegedly blocking its 700 MHz plans