Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prevalence of small cell sites?

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

Prevalence of small cell sites?

My att service is thru cricket. I'm thinking more informed members here. My signal has dropped significantly in recent weeks one bar, 100-110 db, inside. Has occurred before but handset is still functioning.

So I loaded a couple of tower locator apps which indicate what initially appeared to be non existent towers. But the tower locator indicates intermittent metro pcs service at summer of these same locations. The puzzling thing is the known att tower reasonably close from which I've never seen a signal, i frequently see a more distant tower being accessed rather than the nearer one. I've assumed this has to do with directional antenna placement etc.

My questions are how frequently are small cell sites used, and can they be shared by different carriers. I'm in a small town, and the locator indicate their locations in areas near what might have more users than average, ie govt, hospitals. Also we're in hilly areas, which might block or weaken service.

Thoughts?

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 128GB, Ipad Pro 9.7 128GB, and a whole lot more!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In dealing with AT&T/FirstNet, we asked specifically about small cells in our area and AT&T said they hadn’t installed any in our metro area. I’m guessing that isn’t true nationwide but with them pushing FirstNet hard, who knows.

We are doing coverage and speed testing and finding a lot of data speed issues in our area, where down speeds are low, say 20s-30s.
    A-A-Ron

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most tower locator apps other than CellMapper actually show each band and sector of each tower as if it were a cell tower itself. So let's say a tower has three sectors, a north, southeast and southwest sector. And each sector also has a "channel 2", "channel 4", and "channel 12" signal on it (band 2, band 4, band 12 for the technically inclined). Three channels, three sectors per tower, and most tower locator apps will actually show nine "cell towers" in an area where in reality there is only one tower somewhere in between the nine pins. In my opinion this makes most tower locator apps close to useless.

CellMapper is a better locator tool, but has no internal database aside from what CellMapper users upload, as they don't subscribe to any of the big commercial locator databases. So unless your area has been tested well on CellMapper, with criss-crossing arterial streets and some neighborhood streets driven, the towers won't be accurate either.

Now answering your specific question: AT&T has small cells in some areas, but usually entertainment districts, arenas and stadiums, concert venues, convention centers, malls, etc. Outdoor small cells in neighborhoods seem pretty rare in the places I've been. Here in the St. Louis metro, I would consider Verizon to be the third best choice after AT&T and T-Mobile, yet it is Verizon who owns most of the small cells you see. AT&T is overall in the best position, but only Clayton, Crystal Lake Park and University City have outdoor small cells set up; any other AT&T small cells in the metro area are at malls, venues, etc. In Nashville the only places I've seen AT&T small cells are in the downtown area. Same in Lincoln, Nebraska. In Omaha and Kansas City they're only in sports/concert venues/convention centers (that I have located anyway). Just to give some examples in the Midwest/Mid-South.

Some small cells are carrier neutral; in those cases it depends on which carriers have connected to the antenna system.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfyter View Post
    In dealing with AT&T/FirstNet, we asked specifically about small cells in our area and AT&T said they hadn’t installed any in our metro area. I’m guessing that isn’t true nationwide but with them pushing FirstNet hard, who knows.

We are doing coverage and speed testing and finding a lot of data speed issues in our area, where down speeds are low, say 20s-30s.
    20-30 Mbps isn’t low... LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB (AT&T/Personal), iPhone X 64GB (FirstNet/Work), iPad Pro, various hotspots
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post

Sure is better than what I get on my Verizon public safety plans.

Unlimited... at 600kbps!!! Now that's fast!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It is when other providers can get you 80-120 down. They are promising speeds of 60-100. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.....

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    It is when other providers can get you 80-120 down. They are promising speeds of 60-100. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.....
    20-30mbps is pretty darn good for LTE. AT&T never really promised anything, I think Verizon said 5-12mbps was their goal for LTE, even though many places are much faster than that.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    20-30mbps is pretty darn good for LTE. AT&T never really promised anything, I think Verizon said 5-12mbps was their goal for LTE, even though many places are much faster than that.
    Not for consumers, no, but when the government pays you to build out a public safety broadband network and then you push it, saying you have this speed and you really don’t, that causes lots of issues. So far a lot of smoke and mirrors, not a lot of actual productivity.

Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not for consumers, no, but when the government pays you to build out a public safety broadband network and then you push it, saying you have this speed and you really don’t, that causes lots of issues. So far a lot of smoke and mirrors, not a lot of actual productivity.
    What issues have you had at 20-30?

Every network fluctuates widely from area to area, but if base line is 20-30 you will be in great shape.

You probably need to realign your expectations.

FirstNet is designed to give first responders a dedicated channel in the event of an emergency, so they are not impacted by user congestion.

As regular users a lot of us are hoping in expedited build-outs and it frees up some additional spectrum. Unfortunately the “true test” of FirstNet may not be seen until a disaster/attack occurs. Hopefully it never needs to be truly put to the test.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It doesn’t work well when the cradle point is under load from multiple devices. It worked fine on VZW before we went to FirstNet. That may be the final decision as to which one is worth it.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Dude, AT&T didn't promise anyone insane speeds all the time. It's a wireless network. Speeds vary. Your expectations are totally out of whack. People are getting Speedtests in the 150mbps+ range, but those are cherry picked examples where many or all all of the stars align with the right phone on the right sector of the right site at the right time of day. If every day speeds are 5-12mbps like Verizon markets for their LTE network, then things are decent. If they're 20-30mbps, then things are excellent, and you should be happy with the service. If somebody else can deliver faster speeds, then switch, but no one is advertising speeds of 20mbps, much less 50mbps+. That's ridiculous.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    Most tower locator apps other than CellMapper actually show each band and sector of each tower as if it were a cell tower itself. So let's say a tower has three sectors, a north, southeast and southwest sector. And each sector also has a "channel 2", "channel 4", and "channel 12" signal on it (band 2, band 4, band 12 for the technically inclined). Three channels, three sectors per tower, and most tower locator apps will actually show nine "cell towers" in an area where in reality there is only one tower somewhere in between the nine pins. In my opinion this makes most tower locator apps close to useless.

CellMapper is a better locator tool, but has no internal database aside from what CellMapper users upload, as they don't subscribe to any of the big commercial locator databases. So unless your area has been tested well on CellMapper, with criss-crossing arterial streets and some neighborhood streets driven, the towers won't be accurate either.

Now answering your specific question: AT&T has small cells in some areas, but usually entertainment districts, arenas and stadiums, concert venues, convention centers, malls, etc. Outdoor small cells in neighborhoods seem pretty rare in the places I've been. Here in the St. Louis metro, I would consider Verizon to be the third best choice after AT&T and T-Mobile, yet it is Verizon who owns most of the small cells you see. AT&T is overall in the best position, but only Clayton, Crystal Lake Park and University City have outdoor small cells set up; any other AT&T small cells in the metro area are at malls, venues, etc. In Nashville the only places I've seen AT&T small cells are in the downtown area. Same in Lincoln, Nebraska. In Omaha and Kansas City they're only in sports/concert venues/convention centers (that I have located anyway). Just to give some examples in the Midwest/Mid-South.

Some small cells are carrier neutral; in those cases it depends on which carriers have connected to the antenna system.
    Thanks, explains a lot.

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Prevalence of small cell sites?

It doesn’t work well when the cradle point is under load from multiple devices. It worked fine on VZW before we went to FirstNet. That may be the final decision as to which one is worth it.
    Do you realize that B14 deployment just started this year? Why are you expecting a full deployment 5 months into 2018??

Please, name a company that built out their entire network in 5 months.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb_ View Post
    Sure is better than what I get on my Verizon public safety plans.

Unlimited... at 600kbps!!! Now that's fast!
    Verizon’s Public safety plans have a 600 Kbps cap? LOL. That’s sad.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post

I'm generally good with 5-10 Mbps down. I'd like to have 200 Mbps everywhere but I know that's not realistic yet.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast