Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: How is the AT&T signal in SW Suburbs of Chicago

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    310
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    How is the AT&T signal in SW Suburbs of Chicago

    Hello

    I'm thinking of jumping ship to AT&T. How are the signals in the SW Subs of Chicago, Orland Park in particular?

    I noticed my current carrier signal crawls as you get closer to the mall. Terrible.

    Any input would be great.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,075
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hey again, I have had AT&T for over 10 + years and my service has been good in south burbs. One thing to mention is that all the phones seem to hang on band 30 which is a 2.3GHz frequency. So it shows the signal as one bar but in my book doesn't mean anything. You have to remember that the network has multiple frequency bands and will adjust as needed. Bottom line over all service has been good and dependable in my book. Data speeds for me have been averaging at least 20mbps or faster. One of my close friends just asked me about AT&T as he feels t-mobile in the city is not working out for me also.
    AT&T LTE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,219
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post
    Hello

    I'm thinking of jumping ship to AT&T. How are the signals in the SW Subs of Chicago, Orland Park in particular?

    I noticed my current carrier signal crawls as you get closer to the mall. Terrible.

    Any input would be great.

    Thanks
    I'm in Orland quite a bit. Service should be fine everywhere. Speeds will very though. I've experienced far west side....like 159th near Harlem where the speeds are awesome...40-90 Mbps. Closer to the mall there seems to be issues. It can be slow....but usable...unless you need to stream 4K movies or something. Basically some areas are alot slower than others, but I can do what I need to do for the most part.

    Supposedly "5G evolution" has been turned on, which is 4X4 MIMO and 256 QAM....HOWEVER I have yet to see this ANYWHERE in the Chicago area. I assume one day I will....so the areas with crappy signal/speeds are bound to only get better, not worse.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,629
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    HoFo user GusHerb94 might be able to help

    Here's a similar thread for reference: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...hicago-Service

    Sounds like T-Mobile is a bit congested in your market
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,219
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    HoFo user GusHerb94 might be able to help

    Here's a similar thread for reference: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...hicago-Service

    Sounds like T-Mobile is a bit congested in your market
    T-Mobile is congested in the Chicago area.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    4,528
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    How is the AT&T signal in SW Suburbs of Chicago

    Honestly I wouldn’t leave T-Mobile for AT&T at this point. AT&T has more trouble spots than T-Mobile as of late. As for near the mall in Orland, AT&T does work well around there. I was just there today and Verizon fell flat on its face on my deprioritized line. The takeaway being, areas like Orland Square Mall are gonna be congested on every carrier. (AT&T happens to be the exception over there)

    T-Mobile does pretty well in the suburbs and seems to be slowly improving in the city. Verizon does pretty well just about everywhere with some exceptions. AT&T hasn’t densified in a decade and is a miss more than a hit lately.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,075
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Honestly I wouldn’t leave T-Mobile for AT&T at this point. AT&T has more trouble spots than T-Mobile as of late. As for near the mall in Orland, AT&T does work well around there. I was just there today and Verizon fell flat on its face on my deprioritized line. The takeaway being, areas like Orland Square Mall are gonna be congested on every carrier. (AT&T happens to be the exception over there)

    T-Mobile does pretty well in the suburbs and seems to be slowly improving in the city. Verizon does pretty well just about everywhere with some exceptions. AT&T hasn’t densified in a decade and is a miss more than a hit lately.


    Hey Gus long time no talk... I will say out by us T-mobile has been congested and so so. I thought it was only in this area and then I got the phone call from a friend who was looking to switch to AT&T as of recent. I wonder if the tmo network in chicago land is getting overwhelmed... My AT&T service has been good in comparison. Hey when you get a chance swing back to Verizon page I recently activated Visible.. thought you might want to see how I liked it (mini review)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,629
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MOBILE GSM View Post
    Hey Gus long time no talk... I will say out by us T-mobile has been congested and so so. I thought it was only in this area and then I got the phone call from a friend who was looking to switch to AT&T as of recent. I wonder if the tmo network in chicago land is getting overwhelmed... My AT&T service has been good in comparison. Hey when you get a chance swing back to Verizon page I recently activated Visible.. thought you might want to see how I liked it (mini review)
    The problem is that the Chicago area is so vast. It's entirely possible that while some people are actively experiencing congestion others may not notice it or are having the best mobile experience in years.

    Perception can be relative. EX: If I worked at that mall the OP is experiencing congestion in you can imagine how much more amplified the problem would be vs. someone who rarely frequented that area.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    4,528
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MOBILE GSM View Post
    Hey Gus long time no talk... I will say out by us T-mobile has been congested and so so. I thought it was only in this area and then I got the phone call from a friend who was looking to switch to AT&T as of recent. I wonder if the tmo network in chicago land is getting overwhelmed... My AT&T service has been good in comparison. Hey when you get a chance swing back to Verizon page I recently activated Visible.. thought you might want to see how I liked it (mini review)
    I used T-Mobile as my primary for a week solid a few weeks back and had a really decent experience on my iP8+. Speeds in the city were pretty slow but it always worked for me. About 3 Mbps was the slowest I saw. It was blazing fast by me except in the shopping areas where it was definitely somewhere between 1-30 Mbps in different places. The absolute worst thing I saw was getting stuck on B12 in a weak area and B12 wasn’t on the nearest sites so it was literally unusable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,219
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    In Orland today.... 143rd and Lagrange.... Not the best but works just fine for anything...

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,219
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Further down Lagrange Rd, at Lowes....some issues here! It works. Probably can't watch a video!

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    310
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Further down Lagrange Rd, at Lowes....some issues here! It works. Probably can't watch a video!

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for updates. I was slow on Lagrange and have been for some time now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,219
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post
    Thanks for updates. I was slow on Lagrange and have been for some time now.
    Yep, Lagrange seems to have issues. However now I'm East of there around Harlem and 159th. First time I have seen 4X CA here ever. Not the speeds I thought I would see for 4X CA...

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    4,528
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Yep, Lagrange seems to have issues. However now I'm East of there around Harlem and 159th. First time I have seen 4X CA here ever. Not the speeds I thought I would see for 4X CA...

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    It’s about time they turn that on!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,219
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    It’s about time they turn that on!!
    LoL, I'm not holding my breath that I'll see it anymore other than on just this tower here.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
  2. How is the New VZW call center in tampa, FL?
    By Tigeris in forum VZW Employees and Agents Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
  3. How is the LG CU 500V phone in weak signal areas?
    By Chuckiechan in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 04:23 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks