Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will a Tracfone BYOP sim work in a Tracfone branded phone?

Feedback Score

Will a Tracfone BYOP sim work in a Tracfone branded phone?

My wife has a Moto E that is/has been wearing down. She has mentioned she would like a new phone (which is amazing because she never seems to care about those things). The problem is that she likes the size of her Moto E...it fits nicely in her purse and/or pocket. For reference, my Moto E4 is too big, in her opinion. I would like to get her an updated phone with a better camera, more memory, & RAM that fits her size requirements...but it's impossible to find anything smaller than a 5 inch screen.

I've looked at some of the Tracfone branded phones and found this on Amazon. It is still likely larger than she would like, but from the specs I found the overall size is smaller than my Moto E4 - so it may be a possibility. If I were to buy it, would I be able to simply stick her current BYOP sim in it and be good to go? Or because it's a Tracfone branded phone, would it not work. Or am I being stupid because it's Tracfone and we already have Tracfone service, it will just work?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If she wants a small phone, I wonder if an iPhone SE would be a good fit?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If she wants a small phone, I wonder if an iPhone SE would be a good fit?
    I just love folks who post and yet don't answer the OP's question !!

Oh, wait, I just did the same thing ! !

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    TracFone Samsung Galaxy Luna 4G LTE is a 4.5" screen
    (Our) Phone History At-a-Glance:
    '08-on Tracfone (Vz) using:
    1. '17- : BYOP(Vzw)/UsC Moto E4
    2. '16-'17 : BYOP/Vzw HTC Desire 526
    3. '14-'16 : Huawei Glory H868C
    4. '12-'14 : LG800g
    5. '08-'12 : Motorola W376g
    '05-'08 Verizon & Sprint used: Moto Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    '03-'05 Alltel & Cingular
    '01 AT&T

Device(s)
    Tracfone Luna Pro, Tracfone LG442BG
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, TF/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think you can, but I've never used BYOP before, so I'm not 100% sure. I know I can swap tracfone smartphone sims (verizon) back and forth. Maybe someone else can answer definitively.
    Last edited by lappers; 05-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    I just love folks who post and yet don't answer the OP's question !!

Oh, wait, I just did the same thing ! !
    Maybe you could read a little closer. My response was helpful to the poster's issue of "I would like to get her an updated phone with a better camera, more memory, & RAM that fits her size requirements...but it's impossible to find anything smaller than a 5 inch screen."

Feedback Score
    I appreciate everyone's responses. At this time an iPhone is not an option as she doesn't care for them. I only just started considering a Tracfone branded phone because I noticed they may offer something that more or less fits the criteria.

I know there are bundles that her number can be transferred to, however, depending on the phone we get it may or may not come with a bundle. So...the original question remains - will her current BYOP Tracfone sim work in a new Tracfone?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's responses. At this time an iPhone is not an option as she doesn't care for them. I only just started considering a Tracfone branded phone because I noticed they may offer something that more or less fits the criteria.

I know there are bundles that her number can be transferred to, however, depending on the phone we get it may or may not come with a bundle. So...the original question remains - will her current BYOP Tracfone sim work in a new Tracfone?
    Yes, as long as the SIM card is the same size, and the phones use the same network.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So...the original question remains - will her current BYOP Tracfone sim work in a new Tracfone?
    Yes, as long as the SIM card is the same size, and the phones use the same network.
    I've swapped a SIM from a TF-branded phone into a BYOP, but not the other way around.

Anyhow, the OP has nothing to worry about. If the BYOP SIM doesn't work in a TF-branded phone, or doesn't fit, or of a different carrier, just transfer service from the BYOP SIM to the TF-branded phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Everything I've seen is for Verizon (CDMA). Currently on AT&T. Want to keep this switch as simple as possible.

Feedback Score

Can't answer the sim swap question yet. I just ordered an HSN bundle and my intention is to use a currently activated TF BYOP CDMA sim in the J7 Sky Pro for a while to check it out. But, HSN's free shipping is slow boat. Won't get it until the 23rd. After that, I can answer your question.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Everything I've seen is for Verizon (CDMA). Currently on AT&T. Want to keep this switch as simple as possible.
    If you want an AT&T option the LG Rebel 3 L157BG(BL) is available from Walmart and TracFone.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-...hone/770624434
    https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...lg-rebel-3-lte

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You did not mention which Moto E. The original E was 3G, No SIM. I believe the E2 used a Micro SIM. Not sure about the E3. Most new phones use a Nano SIM, like your E4.

I believe you can use a Tracfone BYOP SIM in a Tracfone branded phone, you could with Straighttalk, but this has not been talked about in years. Easy enough to try and let us know.

Also Try TracFone's e-Bay store: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw...reless&_sop=15

4.5" bundle (Verizon): https://www.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-Sa...YAAOSwuMZZNulM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You did not mention which Moto E. The original E was 3G, No SIM. I believe the E2 used a Micro SIM. Not sure about the E3. Most new phones use a Nano SIM, like your E4.
    It is an original Moto E from Cricket, and it uses a micro-sim. I recently switched her over to TF. I purposely activated her on a nano sim and use a micro-sim adapter so it will work. I knew she would be needing a new phone eventually and figured most new phones are nano now.
    I thought that when it was time to upgrade it wouldn't be such a big deal to find a good unlocked phone...but the size requirement is making it difficult.

Feedback Score
    I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy J1 small 4.3 inch phone that I have used a previously activated Tracfone CDMA (Verizon) BYOP SIM card in. The SIM I have is tied to an IMEI from a Tracfone that I have. It's short on space with only 8gb but it has a nice resolution screen and works pretty well. I haven't used the J1 for a while, was thinking of passing it on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast