Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5G is a gimmick.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

5G is a gimmick.....

These companies keep talking about 5g. They are brainwashing us to think we need it. 4g LTE works for me. I get super fast speeds in 90% of the areas I'm in. I don't care for faster speeds. Everything loads quickly and I can stream without any buffer. [If 4g LTE is slow in your area, so will 5g. Remember when edge was slow and then 3g came and that was slow and then 4g and its a tad bit faster, 5g will be a tad bit faster.] What is 5G going to do for us?

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    These companies keep talking about 5g. They are brainwashing us to think we need it. 4g LTE works for me. I get super fast speeds in 90% of the areas I'm in. I don't care for faster speeds. Everything loads quickly and I can stream without any buffer. [If 4g LTE is slow in your area, so will 5g. Remember when edge was slow and then 3g came and that was slow and then 4g and its a tad bit faster, 5g will be a tad bit faster.] What is 5G going to do for us?
    Yeah! This line of thinking reminds me of when people questioned why we needed LTE when EVDO was just so fast back in 2006-2007.

And why do I need a camera with a phone??!! I already have a camera!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    5G NR isn't just about being able to download a HD movie faster it's also about network efficiency.

Keep in mind that being able to handle more concurrent data sessions while providing each user with a faster connection helps both the network and the end user experience.

AFAIK - LTE-A will still be the core network for the next few years but 5G NR will be up in at least 30 US cities this year per T-Mobile. Devices will follow throughout 2019.

I'm okay with holding out till 2019 for device compatibility. T-Mobile needs time to make sure they have the proper backhaul in place not only to support theoretically faster 5G throughput but in preparation to being the anchor network for potential Sprint subs who may be joining the family.

I'm personally looking forward to the innovation and entrepreneurial spirit each new wave of mobile technology brings. We saw ride share, employment and service delivery apps explode with 4G LTE and I can't wait to see what we'll see with the next gen wireless networks.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus, Nexus 6P, Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Massively expand network capacity which is necessary to support IoT all while improving speeds and reducing latency. Can’t be done with LTE. It’s why Google gave up on Google Fiber.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I can live without 5g but it will be nice to see how good and reliable cell networks get in the next few years.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T), Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    They are brainwashing us to think we need it.
    Not to worry; Jitterbugs won't get NextGen radios anyway. You'll be fi ... sorry ... YOU'LL BE FINE! IT'S GONNA BE OKAY!!!
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S6 on Net10 (AT&T)

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    ...They as slow and then 3g came and that was slow and then 4g and its a tad bit faster, 5g will be a tad bit faster.] What is 5G going to do for u?
    We have similar ways of thinking, i also see why in the hell do we need to download a movie in 2 minutes if its going to take you 1hr and 30 minutes to watch it.. or download a song, say CCR - heard it from the grapevine in 2 seconds when is going to take 8 minutes or more to listen to it.. or a news article, download in 2 fractions of a second when you will take 4-7 minutes to read it...
    Think of it like you are now in a 3 lane freeway, not too fast and getting congested.. all of the sudden the freeway opens to 6 lanes... a bit faster, more capacity, more steady. And take in count your vehicle too, you need a phone capable of going the speed.

Feedback Score
    One thing that was not real great in the past was the labeling.
    3.5 was renamed 4G. In some areas phones would read 4G and get 2G speeds.

So what was supposed to be 4g was still running at 2G-3G speeds.

So yes 5G speeds will be great and IOT...etc..., but I hope marketing speeds do not get ahead of the actual speed tests on the ground.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus, Nexus 6P, Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    So yes 5G speeds will be great and IOT...etc..., but I hope marketing speeds do not get ahead of the actual speed tests on the ground.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I have the feeling we are rapidly approaching the point in time when we don’t even care about speeds. Like so many other things... it’ll just be so good it doesn’t really matter anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I don’t care about speeds all I want is a notch in my phone. Better yet I will get a tattoo of a notch on my chest

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Oh they will and it's partially the reason that I try to avoid articles that contain "lab test" in them because it's just snake oil. Also I get the push for IOT but what percentage of the consumers actually cares about that?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Anyway 5G is coming and it will be the biggest thing since the invention of the cell phone. 5G will allow many more people to cut the cord and stream TV and internet with fixed wireless thus eliminate the need for Comcast and Charter service. Wireless 5G will also bring affordable internet to homes that doesn't have internet today. There are a ton of other things that 5G will do that will will push technology but if someone just wants to think their cell phone is the only device that counts nothing anyone can say is going to change their mind. There are still people that think all you need is a flip feature phone and that smart phones are a gimmick.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    Not to worry; Jitterbugs won't get NextGen radios anyway. You'll be fi ... sorry ... YOU'LL BE FINE! IT'S GONNA BE OKAY!!!

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    BTW, if you don't like 5G you are really going to dislike 6G.

DARPA, industry fund research into high-gigahertz and terahertz spectrum for “6G” smart road.

"The industry is just getting started with 5G, but New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering — home of NYU Wireless and the Brooklyn 5G Summit — is joining in the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s research on potential technologies for technology beyond 5G. The school now supports the DARPA-sponsored Joint University Microelectronics Program (JUMP), which is researching high-gigahertz and terahertz spectrum up to 500 GHz for automotive self-driving car infrastructure and intelligent highways.

To make autonomous car travel possible, the road infrastructure will have to handle data demands that can support centimeter-precision localization, unparalleled high-resolution imaging, and lightweight “whisper radio” technology, which researchers have previously demonstrated and which rely on very weak signals which are nonetheless difficult to jam. Specifically, ComSenTer is studying extremely high frequencies in the range of 100 GHz to 1 THz."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast