Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 5G is a gimmick.....

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    The marketing and hype already has gotten ahead. Just look at AT&T’s “5G Evolution”. Calling it 5G when it’s clearly 4G. Just like they did calling 3G “4G”.
    It’s the Evolution to 5G, hence the name “5G Evolution”. So factually, it’s not incorrect at all.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Then the robots take over and we all live haply ever-after. Think about the number 1 billion (1,000,000,000,000). You're planning to attach every blade of grass to the Internet? Swarms of gnat-like robot drones? A brave new world, indeed.
    We Hope... Maybe the new T-Mobile & Sprint company should be named Skynet.

Name:  Terminator.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  220.9 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    It’s the Evolution to 5G, hence the name “5G Evolution”. So factually, it’s not incorrect at all.

It may be factual to people who know how to read it but it's borderline misleading to the majority of consumers who have no idea what goes into networks.

Feedback Score

5G is a gimmick.....

Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post

Well, that’s some nice spin. Sounds like something an AT&T executive would say if they were pressed on it.

The average consumer will just see “5G” in the name and assume that’s what it is. Just like when AT&T called 3G “4G”. What bothers me is that blurring the lines like that opens the door to other companies feeling like they need to do similar things otherwise their technology looks antiquated in comparison. I’m sure that’s why T-Mobile also calls H+ “4G”.

Feedback Score
    Nobody needs a new technology until it's widely adopted. It's way too early to know what 5G will be used for. It's not just about faster speeds.

If you want to learn more, you can look up URLLC, mMTC, and network slicing to get an idea of what it's capable of.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Well, that’s some nice spin. Sounds like something an AT&T executive would say if they were pressed on it.

The average consumer will just see “5G” in the name and assume that’s what it is. Just like when AT&T called 3G “4G”. What bothers me is that blurring the lines like that opens the door to other companies feeling like they need to do similar things otherwise their technology looks antiquated in comparison. I’m sure that’s why T-Mobile also calls H+ “4G”.
    Except it was TMobile who started the whole hspa+ as 4g and at&t follwed their lead. https://gizmodo.com/5725501/atts-4g-...like-t-mobiles

On another note, Hey maybe when 5g gets here TMobile will raise the video throttle to 2mbps on their standard plans

Feedback Score
    I thought AT&T started it due to them having the iPhone 4 (or 4s?) which didn’t support LTE but they wanted to make it seem like the newest technology. T-Mobile didn’t even have the iPhone then, IIRC. Seems a bit gray with who started it and who’s to blame.

https://www.theverge.com/2011/05/04/...pa-4g-branding

Feedback Score
    From that article:

“T-Mobile takes slightly less blame for two reasons. One, it's not placing "4G" devices on separate plans. Two, it's not calling 14.4Mbps devices HSPA+ (though it does disclaim on those devices' product pages that the "4G HSPA+ network" isn't available everywhere). Of the five so-called 4G handsets that T-Mobile has launched thus far, only two -- the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and Sidekick 4G -- actually support HSPA+. The other three top out at 14.4Mbps, just as AT&T's do.”

Not that it matters, of course. AT&T started the “5G Evolution” and I’m sure other carriers will follow with marketing spin of their own.

Feedback Score
    From that article:

“T-Mobile takes slightly less blame for two reasons. One, it's not placing "4G" devices on separate plans. Two, it's not calling 14.4Mbps devices HSPA+ (though it does disclaim on those devices' product pages that the "4G HSPA+ network" isn't available everywhere). Of the five so-called 4G handsets that T-Mobile has launched thus far, only two -- the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and Sidekick 4G -- actually support HSPA+. The other three top out at 14.4Mbps, just as AT&T's do.”

Not that it matters, of course. AT&T started the “5G Evolution” and I’m sure other carriers will follow with marketing spin of their own.
    That's some nice spin, almost how a TMobile exec would answer it if pressed on the issue TMobile branded their hspa+ network 4g in 2010, before at&t did. Doesn't matter if the 14.4 network wasn't called hspa+, hspa+21 or hspa+42 also isn't 4g. I agree though, branding something one thing, and it's clearly not the one thing you want to brand it as, is a bad practice.

Feedback Score
    Touché

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 4 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I had almost forgotten how bad the "4G" (3G HSPA+) spin was! Things have improved after all... Thankfully, my phone does the proper distinction and shows H+ when it's on 3G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    Thanks. I had almost forgotten how bad the "4G" (3G HSPA+) spin was! Things have improved after all... Thankfully, my phone does the proper distinction and shows H+ when it's on 3G.
    TMobile and at&t were both guilty of that nonsense, it's impossible to try to justify one doing it over the other. The good thing is it seems TMobile learned their lesson from it. Hopefully that remains the case going forward.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    TMobile branded their hspa+ network 4g in 2010, before at&t did. Doesn't matter if the 14.4 network wasn't called hspa+, hspa+21 or hspa+42 also isn't 4g.
    Your statement is incorrect. T-Mobile's use of the term 4G was consistent with the ITU's position from 2010 (note boldface text):

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed. "

http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/p...x#.Wv3hGSBlBwk

I agree though, branding something one thing, and it's clearly not the one thing you want to brand it as, is a bad practice.
    It's impossible for you to show "it's clearly not the one thing" when the ITU stated that the term 4G was "undefined".

T-Mobile and AT&T were well within their rights to call their improved networks 4G as they did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3