Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

AT&T: LTE speeds will double thanks to FirstNet

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ks-to-firstnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully this means AT&T will finally deploy every available LTE band on every cell site they operate.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Hopefully this means AT&T will finally deploy every available LTE band on every cell site they operate.
    While a great idea— it’s quite expensive. Running 2/4/5/12/14/29/30/66 on every single cell site (or at least 6 of those bands) is quite expensive and not as easy as it is for T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint to do... each of those carriers runs 3-4 LTE carriers at most. Having separate RRU’s for that many bands costs a lot of money. I think the assumption AT&T is running on for FirstNet is that every site has 2/12/30 or 2/5/30 available before hand though, or at least will after the build.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Dual band RRUs are actually becoming a thing now. I'm not sure how efficient they are compared to two separate RRUs but if there's limitations on space or structural capacity there's a solution.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Are "double the speeds," due to the result of adding Band 14?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe it'll be the result of adding multiple bands.
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    There's some suburban/exurban areas where they really don't need every band live all the time. Very rural areas where people are using LTE for home internet, and urban areas need full band deployment (minus 30, since that's FWI).

Good to hear that they are expanding the network and adding capacity though. Hopefully we'll see more native coverage/ more total coverage as well.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Carrier(s)
    tmo, vzw
    Feedback Score
    It's about time. They've been sitting on spectrum for some time in colorado. I am impressed with 4x carrier aggregation and new bands running here.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Doubtful. It's sort of a misleading title/claim but essentially they're just doing additional carrier adds and updating equipment (like the Nokia BBUs) so it's a combination of different things.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Doubtful. It's sort of a misleading title/claim but essentially they're just doing additional carrier adds and updating equipment (like the Nokia BBUs) so it's a combination of different things.
    They’re also building C-RAN nodes and just signed a macro deal with crown castle.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 128GB, Ipad Pro 9.7 128GB, and a whole lot more!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Double from what to what?
    A-A-Ron

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfyter View Post
    Double from what to what?
    According to PCMag's testing, AT&T's average is over 30mbps. What matters is not top speeds, but rather consistency and reliability, as well as latency. The challenge is that with increasing data consumption as apps and websites have become more and more bloated is that even HSPA+ often get overwhelmed, so they need to finish upgrading to LTE, and adding capacity. Even though my phone would run 100% fine if I had my own 3.6mbps 3G tower with a single T1 for backhaul, from a capacity perspective, if the speeds are below 2-5mbps, things really start to bog down, latency goes way up, and stuff starts to not work properly.

Last summer, I was on one of the few remaining 3G (not Faux G, actual "3G") sites on the AT&T network, on Beaver Island, MI, and it was OK, but it bogged down a bit, causing inconsistency in stuff loading. That area has since been upgraded to LTE.

On the other end of the spectrum, while they aren't at Verizon's level, I think they've finally dug themselves out of the hole in NYC, which is good. It took a while, since they have no B4 there, and didn't have B2 phones at first, but now they've put lots more B2, some B5, B29, B30, and are now working on B14 and B66 AFAIK to improve capacity there.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Don't hold your breath, as that is not likely to ever happen.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Feedback Score
    I wanted to see what AT&T is doing in Vermont, so I went to the Vermont Public Utility Commission's website and loaded up a proposal for a tower modification near my house.

It looks like AT&T is planning on upgrading the site which currently has UTMS, and Bands 2, 5, and 30 with additional hardware supporting B14 and B66. When it is all said and done, the tower will have UTMS, and LTE Bands 2/5/14/30/66.

If anyone is interested in specifics, go to here:

https://epsb.vermont.gov/?q=node/64/131825

Select Prefiled Testimony, create a free account, and you can download the site plan and equipment specifications. This is just one example of an open permit.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They’re also building C-RAN nodes and just signed a macro deal with crown castle.

AT&T and Verizon are the only two carriers I see going crazy with C-RAN so it'll be interesting to see how the infrastructure grows with them. My dealings with Verizon C-RAN shows them going in places no other carriers are but their network philosophy seems to be a bit different than the others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast