Thread: Tracfone: Switching BYOP CDMA to BYOP GSM?

Feedback Score

Tracfone: Switching BYOP CDMA to BYOP GSM?

Seems the only unlocked phones with CDMA support lately are Moto, which I am about done with (3 broken Motos in past 2 years) and very high end expensive phones like Pixel. So I was thinking to switch to GSM to get a wider phone selection.

So my question is, how do I switch from the Tracfone CDMA sim to the GSM sim without issue? Is there way to do this online or is this one of those things I should call to do? Is there some instructions somewhere already? (I already have the GSM sims from the BYOP kit)

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by niceman View Post
    So my question is, how do I switch from the Tracfone CDMA sim to the GSM sim without issue? Is there way to do this online or is this one of those things I should call to do?
    You can do the switch online, but if something goes wrong and your balance & days are lost, you're screwed. We've been recommending that people use Chat, so you will have a transcripts of the transfer and don't have to deal with the rep's accent.

1. Open a Chat session (go to TF web site-->Help-->Contact Us-->Online Chat). If you don't see the red Chat button, maybe your pop-up blocker suppressed it.
    2. Ask the rep to give the balance and service end date of your current phone number (tied to the CDMA SIM).
    3. Tell the rep you want to transfer your service (phone number, buckets, days) to a GSM BYOP SIM. Provide the SIM number.
    4. When the rep says the transfer is complete, ask the rep to verify the balance and days again. Since you're transferring from Verizon to another carrier (AT&T or T-mobile), the balance might take a while to get pushed from TF system to the carrier's system; so you can't check the balance yourself.
    5. Ask the rep for a ticket number. It is for reference later if something goes wrong.
    6. After the Chat has ended. Copy everything in the chat window and paste it into a file on your computer for record.
    7. It might take up to 48 hrs (usually less) to transfer to another carrier because a human needs to release the phone number. Avoid initiating a transfer on a Friday afternoon or before a long weekend.
    8. Put the GSM SIM into your new phone. Once the old phone quits working, keep checking to see if the new phone works. If it still doesn't after 48 hrs, or the balance & days didn't transfer over correctly, contact TF by Chat again, give the rep the ticket number and he/she can look up the transcript in their system.
    Last edited by hpham; 05-17-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    Wow that's a great help, thanks so much!

Feedback Score
    Might also want to understand ahead of time if your old SIM is TMFL and if so, is the new one also (assuming that matters to you...)

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    4. When the rep says the service is complete, ask the rep to verify the balance and days again. Since you're transferring from Verizon to another carrier (AT&T or T-mobile), the balance might take a while to get pushed from TF system to the carrier's system; so you can't check the balance yourself.

Ran into this yesterday going from AT&T to Verizon.
    The airtime appeared with the receiving phone almost immediately, but they estimated it would be 4-1/2 hours before the porting dept could get to my port. The port actually went through at about 2 hours and the phone was programed by Verizon, with phone number now showing in settings. But it was another 2 hours before I could make or receive a call, Verizon message kept saying I had insufficient funds.. Makes me wonder if the porting dept sends the bucket Info to Verizon after they see the port has completed. Never before had a 2 hour gap.

I did contact Tracfone during the two hour wait for Verizon to see the funds, but I only got excuses, rather than an answer.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Turbo
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Excellent post! I have the same situation, switching to a GSM phone and don't want to lose any minutes.