Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there any advantage to Pay As You Go - Legacy over standard Pay as you go?

Feedback Score
    I am not sure if I understand this one time 10 cent rate conversion you are talking about.

However, the gold rewards plan is good for people that want to put in $10 for a year of service. I only put in $10 a year and keep the phone just for occasional use as a second phone.

I plan to keep my phone for as long as I can as a second phone.

If you are going to use a lot of minutes you are better off changing to the new $3 a month plan at the 10 cent per minute rate.

Feedback Score
    As I learned here at Hofo. To call TM & ask them to convert my rate to 10 cents. My $10 yearly refills only gave me 35 mins. After calling it was 100 mins.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'll see if I can explain, although I'm not known for being brief.

Gold Rewards officially only provided a $0.10/minute rate if you routinely added $100. But also realize that T-Mobile's PAYGO account rates were a floating aggregate of whatever happened to be in your account at a given time, based on what other refill denominations you deposited as well as deductions from text messages used, since you're dealing with a one-bucket system.

So if you added $100 then checked your account balance you'd see 1000 minutes/1000 texts (at the current text rate of $0.10 per both directions; this used to be different). Use a text or make a call and the visible balance decreases, but at this point it's a straightforward ratio since everything costs $0.10; use a text and the balance decreases, which recalculates both the available remaining texts as well as voice call minutes.

But if you added a $10 refill (or $25 or $50), things started to change.

(I have some old T-Mobile brochures here, so this is what I'm going by for rates).

The $10 refill (under Gold Rewards) provided only 35 minutes, so let's say before you added it you had $90 showing, which at that time yielded 900 minutes/texts. You add the $10, and the money balance increases back to $100, but the minutes show 935 because that's what that denomination specifies. This gives you a new per minute rate of 100/935=.10695 (essentially $0.11), and the available texts would still be 100/.10=1000. The text rate is fixed but the per minute voice minutes are not; they are a result or aggregate of how the added refill affects the dollar total vs. promised minutes.

So over time if you added non-$100 refills you would erode the per minute rate of the voice minutes (potentially pretty badly). The $10 refill yielding 35 minutes give it rate of $0.29, so that is where your overall rate is sliding toward.

Having T-Mobile make a courtesy move to simply take your existing account dollars and recalculate available voice minutes at a $0.10/min rate is a pretty generous thing in terms of the old setup, but really not considering that's the only rate they use now for the only remaining quasi-PAYGO plan they offer (which is really a hybrid monthly thing), and that $0.10/min is way more than things should cost to begin with.
    Last edited by whacker; 05-21-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    I never really understood how they calculate the minutes. I did know if you put in $10 you get 35 minutes and if you put in $100 you get 1000 minutes.

What I don't understand is why bother calling for a one time conversion.

If adding $10 erodes my overall rate to 0.29 I would not worry about it because my total balance is under $100 so it is not a lot of money.

Even if I forgot to pay and lose my entire balance I would not worry about it because I got service for my money.

$10 for 1 year service is about the best deal you can get and that is why I kept it.

If you are going to make more calls every month I think you would be better off changing to the $3 plan at 10 cents a minute.

And if you make even more calls you can get an unlimited plan if it is cheaper.

My balance I think is around $70 and keeps going up since I am not using the phone at all now. However, it is available for when I need it and then I might use up those minutes.

It is also good to have a second phone as a backup if my normal phone line is down for some reason.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    ....What I don't understand is why bother calling for a one time conversion....
    Because T-Mobile CS in my experience is nice & easy to deal with. Took <5mins. So I couldn't find a reason not to do it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Plus you're getting more for your money.

Feedback Score
    I myself also have a legacy PAYG, adding $10/year to keep balance and carry forward for another year. However, for someone actually lost their balance and want to park a number or those who just want maintain a backup mobile line with minimal mobile usage, Lycamobile PAYG is actually a lower cost alternative -- your $10 investment could last you several years as long as you use it at least once every 90 days.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    TruPhone would be similar to Lyca in that regard, except it's on AT&T and the initial buy-in is greater.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile Legacy Gold Reward Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for slightly off but similar topic. I have a legacy T-Mobile Gold Reward plan and been adding $10 before each year expires.

How many minutes will be added when I add a different amount? I believe there are 4 different levels.

I ask this because for a few months I will using more minutes then useral but will go back to near zero minutes after that.

Thank you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have an old T-Mobile brochure close at hand that I was able to refer to for the info you seek, MikeySoft.

The original (well, at least for around the 2007 era or thereabouts) rates for PAYGO Prepaid were:

$10 gives you 30 mins
    $25 gives you 130 mins
    $50 gives you 400 mins
    $100 gives you 1000 mins

To become a Gold Rewards "member" you had to be into the program for $100, either all at once or cumulatively over the course of ongoing refills (if you stuck with it you couldn't avoid achieving GR status).

All this really did for you is increase the amount of minutes the refills lower than $100 gave you by 15%, as well as make the refill interval one year, up from the standard 90 days.

Therefore on that basis, for an existing Gold Rewards account type, the yield would be simply 15% more for each refill tier amount (excluding the $100 level).

30 mins times .15 = 4.5, + 30 = 35 mins (rounded up).

$25 gives you 150
    $50 gives you 460
    $100 doesn't change

My, how the cell market has changed!

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    If anyone has a working Gold rewards sim I would be interested in getting it and paying for the balance ,
    My sister has never had a cell phone but this would be good for her to throw in her purse just in case she ever needs it......
    Thanks
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    If anyone has a working Gold rewards sim I would be interested in getting it and paying for the balance ,
    My sister has never had a cell phone but this would be good for her to throw in her purse just in case she ever needs it......
    Thanks
    PM me.
    I have 2.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile Legacy Gold Reward Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    30 mins times .15 = 4.5, + 30 = 35 mins (rounded up).

$25 gives you 150
    $50 gives you 460
    $100 doesn't change

My, how the cell market has changed!
    Thank you for your quick reply. This is a great plan for grandmas & people like me who usually seldom use their phones. I recently called T-Mobile to move my account to a nano SIM for my new phone. The rep thanked me for being a long time loyal customer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You're quite welcome.

I'm certainly glad I've still got mine (my first-ever cellular line of service, starting in 2005).

$10 per year? Sheeee-it...!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    You're quite welcome.

I'm certainly glad I've still got mine (my first-ever cellular line of service, starting in 2005).

$10 per year? Sheeee-it...!
    Well it's $10 a year now.

But my first buy in cost me $88 at Target minus the credit card incentive plus they tossed in a free Nokia 6030.
    Every year after the first was $10 a year and I love it!

Then there was that guy who was selling the Gold Rewards SIM cards with tons of money on them for $27 a few years ago.
    He even gave me an extra one with close to $200 on it.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast