Thread: VM in UK

Feedback Score

VM in UK

My daughter is a long time Virgin Mobile customer, currently with an iPhone SE. In September she will be attending college in Edinburgh, Scotland. Is there any way she can continue with VM on her current phone, possibly with a new SIM card, in Scotland?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Will she be using a local SIM or keeping her Verizon mobile #? If she uses a local SIM, she can have her Verizon VM forwarded to the local SIM, but if she does it will result in Intl LD charges from Verizon. Hopefully some other members may offer some alternative options.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Virgin Mobile in the UK is a different company, but you should be able to unlock her phone and see if it's compatible with service there.

Sent from my LG-H830 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=aml1025;16993907]Virgin Mobile in the UK is a different company, but you should be able to unlock her phone and see if it's compatible with service there.

Stupid question: How do I unlock her phone?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=jerry430;16994312]
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    Virgin Mobile in the UK is a different company, but you should be able to unlock her phone and see if it's compatible with service there.

Stupid question: How do I unlock her phone?
    With an iPhone, you should be able to unlock at any time by calling customer service and asking for it to be unlocked. Make sure they know it's for international travel. Although they've been dealing with iPhones for a while now, I know VM used to struggle with knowing how to SIM unlock phones. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H830 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not all carriers will unlock a phone just because someone is travelling internationally. Unless the customer is eligible to have the phone unlocked by the carrier, it may not happen.

Feedback Score
    I contacted VM through Facebook messenger. I was informed that Virgin Mobile phones will not work overseas, so I guess it's a moot point.

My current plan is to buy an unlocked iPhone and get a SIM from Virgin Mobile US until she gets there, then get a SIM from Virgin Mobile UK. As I understand it, this will work as long as I get an unlocked phone with both CDMA (US) and GSM (UK) bands.

Feedback Score
    The Sprint MVNO Iphone SE’s have the right bands for LTE in Europe. It’s strange that VM won’t unlock an IPhone considering that you have virtually paid the full price for the phone.

With the existing phones MEID have you tried to go to ting.com/byod ?

If the MEID comes back as FED clean then you can port the number to ting then request an international sim lock from ting.

The international sim lock isn’t as good as a Domestic SIM Unlock as the device will still be locked to Sprint/MVNO’s.

You can then port the number back to another provider.

If it works it’s a lot cheaper than having to shell out for a SIM free device.

Also one note of caution a SIM free IPhone SE might not work on LTE in Europe as it’s only the Sprint branded(MVNO) phones that have the LTE bands for Europe.

Feedback Score
    �� Virgin Mobile USA phones are capable of being unlocked. Still got an IPhone 4S that was international SIM unlocked after moving it to ting.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry430 View Post
    I contacted VM through Facebook messenger. I was informed that Virgin Mobile phones will not work overseas, so I guess it's a moot point.

My current plan is to buy an unlocked iPhone and get a SIM from Virgin Mobile US until she gets there, then get a SIM from Virgin Mobile UK. As I understand it, this will work as long as I get an unlocked phone with both CDMA (US) and GSM (UK) bands.