Thread: TMo upstate NY

Device(s)
    LG G6 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

TMo upstate NY

Is TMo upstate NY as bad as it looks on the coverage maps? I'm going from Cape Cod through Albany to Lake Placid, then to Alexandria Bay and across the border to Canada

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Its pretty bad. Even mid state NY is all band 12 and if you stay further away from any major highways you're screwed. Though on the bright side, band 12 is rarely congested.

Device(s)
    blue lg vx9900
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Its pretty bad. Even mid state NY is all band 12 and if you stay further away from any major highways you're screwed. Though on the bright side, band 12 is rarely congested.
    I live in Buffalo and frequently travel across the state for work. While I do have stretches without coverage, overall I'm quite happy with the service.

You'll notice pockets where there is nothing and then, miraculously, you'll have full coverage.

Device(s)
    s9+, Pixel2 XL, Pixel2, s8+, s8, Axon 7, Jelly Pro, etc
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi, Xfinity Mobile, att, tmo, RP/vzw/att, TF/att, FP, Tello, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    You will be fine until you are north of Albany, depending on your route. T-Mo has been expanding B12 like crazy, although it's not perfect (example, Rt 12 between Utica and Watertown is far worse than the map shows).

T-Mo does not have B12 licenses in the Lake Placid and surrounding area so it will be bad there. Alex Bay coverage has improved by leaps and bounds the past 12 months, and you will be fine from there on.
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    You will be fine until you are north of Albany, depending on your route. T-Mo has been expanding B12 like crazy, although it's not perfect (example, Rt 12 between Utica and Watertown is far worse than the map shows).

T-Mo does not have B12 licenses in the Lake Placid and surrounding area so it will be bad there. Alex Bay coverage has improved by leaps and bounds the past 12 months, and you will be fine from there on.
    I suspect it will be poor (looking at Cell Mapper / T-Mobile coverage map) between Albany and Alexandria Bay. Coverage should be better once I cross into Canada.

Name:  roadtrip.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  51.2 KB

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    It's pretty much all B12 as mentioned before but coverage has shot up. (Used to be all 2G) The only problem areas I found were round the finger lakes when you get into remoter valleys but even they didn't drop out for very long.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I suspect it will be poor (looking at Cell Mapper / T-Mobile coverage map) between Albany and Alexandria Bay. Coverage should be better once I cross into Canada.

Name:  roadtrip.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  51.2 KB
    That drive through the Adirondacks will be fun. They're a beautiful mountain range. Let us know your findings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Is TMo upstate NY as bad as it looks on the coverage maps? I'm going from Cape Cod through Albany to Lake Placid, then to Alexandria Bay and across the border to Canada

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    It is worse than what is indicated on the coverage maps. Do not rely on your phone for navigation if you have T-Mobile in upstate NY.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by james4209 View Post
    It is worse than what is indicated on the coverage maps. Do not rely on your phone for navigation if you have T-Mobile in upstate NY.
    Fortunately, it looks like pretty much 'easy' driving from ~Underwood NY through Keene -> Lake Placid -> Tupper Lake NY.
    The spot that I'll have to make sure to look out for, will be the turn at Sevey, NY and Colton, NY, as they're not large communities in general, and I'm not looking for an destination.