Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noticed change in roaming pattern with at&t

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score

Noticed change in roaming pattern with at&t

In my area, t-mobile has decent coverage however, I only see AWS deployed and always connect on band 4. Sometimes, inside buildings, coverage disappears (no coverage at all in some stores for e.g. unless I move close to the walls facing outside).

Recently however, I am connecting to at&t on 2G only when this happens. In other words, when I am in the store, LTE is gone but I get 2G signal and I am roaming on at&t. I was able to make a call so apparently roaming is active.

Wonder if something changed in the roaming patterns. Since the roaming is on 2G and all GSM phones have quad band GSM, its not the phone etc.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    In my area, t-mobile has decent coverage however, I only see AWS deployed and always connect on band 4. Sometimes, inside buildings, coverage disappears (no coverage at all in some stores for e.g. unless I move close to the walls facing outside).

Recently however, I am connecting to at&t on 2G only when this happens. In other words, when I am in the store, LTE is gone but I get 2G signal and I am roaming on at&t. I was able to make a call so apparently roaming is active.

Wonder if something changed in the roaming patterns. Since the roaming is on 2G and all GSM phones have quad band GSM, its not the phone etc.
    That's not possible, AT&T shut down it's 2G network, it's some other carrier. If you can, get the MCC MNC of the 2G network and we can identify who's it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    GS9 Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Could the Alpha Tag on your phones display incorrectly be showing AT&T E?

ZeroSignal is correct. AT&T shut down its 2G network.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Could the Alpha Tag on your phones display incorrectly be showing AT&T E?

ZeroSignal is correct. AT&T shut down its 2G network.
    "Signal check pro" is the app that showed it as 2G and on at&t.

Device(s)
    iPhone X Factory Unlocked/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe SignalCheck Pro gives you the MCC MNC do you remember it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well if this was in a commnet market or something like that, AT&Ts alpha tag shows up on native AT&T but it is commnets MCCMNC. Not sure how it works on T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    I will update this later with more info- I will need to visit some places that I know tmobile has problem indoor.

Device(s)
    iPhone X Factory Unlocked/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I will update this later with more info- I will need to visit some places that I know tmobile has problem indoor.
    If you can try getting some screenshots

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I wonder if it’s connecting to AT&T’s HSPA network but it says “E” because it’s throttled to 2G speeds? I saw that in Kauai last year where I know AT&T is their only roaming partner.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I wonder if it’s connecting to AT&T’s HSPA network but it says “E” because it’s throttled to 2G speeds? I saw that in Kauai last year where I know AT&T is their only roaming partner.
    Nah it would say what tech its connected to, regardless of throttling.

Feedback Score
    That’s what I’d think as well but I’ve seen “AT&T E” a couple of times since they shut down the 2G network.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Got some updates. The galaxy S9, tmobile version shows 4G and 4G LTE in really small letters for HSPA and LTE resp.

In one home depot store where previously no signal in the interior, I get a signal which has no indicator. No E, 2G, nothing- just the bars. Incidentally, it shows the same icon when there is a signal available but it is not connected (due to policy). Anyway, I could make calls, signal check pro showed GSM and network signal info showed connection to t-mobile on AWS.

Another store, a whole foods, showed the bars but signal check pro just shows GSM. Luckily, network signal info showed at&t HSPA but unable to connect and no calls/data allowed.

A third store where previously there wasn't any signal, I connected to tmobile HSPA on band 2. This seems something new as I have never connected on band 2 in this area. Only AWS- for LTE, HSPA or 2G. Outside I connect to LTE on AWS.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Got some updates. The galaxy S9, tmobile version shows 4G and 4G LTE in really small letters for HSPA and LTE resp.

In one home depot store where previously no signal in the interior, I get a signal which has no indicator. No E, 2G, nothing- just the bars. Incidentally, it shows the same icon when there is a signal available but it is not connected (due to policy). Anyway, I could make calls, signal check pro showed GSM and network signal info showed connection to t-mobile on AWS.

Another store, a whole foods, showed the bars but signal check pro just shows GSM. Luckily, network signal info showed at&t HSPA but unable to connect and no calls/data allowed.

A third store where previously there wasn't any signal, I connected to tmobile HSPA on band 2. This seems something new as I have never connected on band 2 in this area. Only AWS- for LTE, HSPA or 2G. Outside I connect to LTE on AWS.

I just replaced my LG G4 with a new Samsung S9 and now I get much better connections inside building. I assume is due to the 4x4 MIMO and beamforming antenna technology. In our favorite sports bar hang out that has a steel roof we have always had signal issues with all four networks. Outside everyone networks work but inside it was in the past limited to text and voice but low quality voice for just about everyone on any network. With my LG G4 I could never use the "Ok Google" commands inside the building. Now with the S9 voice commands works that has to connect to Google's servers to translate voice to data commands. The S9 will even stream video inside that building now. Friends with iPhone 7 on AT&T and LG V20 on Verizon are still limited to mainly text, voice and some slow data but few can stream video. The S9 has great reception in my view.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I just replaced my LG G4 with a new Samsung S9 and now I get much better connections inside building. I assume is due to the 4x4 MIMO and beamforming antenna technology. In our favorite sports bar hang out that has a steel roof we have always had signal issues with all four networks. Outside everyone networks work but inside it was in the past limited to text and voice but low quality voice for just about everyone on any network. With my LG G4 I could never use the "Ok Google" commands inside the building. Now with the S9 voice commands works that has to connect to Google's servers to translate voice to data commands. The S9 will even stream video inside that building now. Friends with iPhone 7 on AT&T and LG V20 on Verizon are still limited to mainly text, voice and some slow data but few can stream video. The S9 has great reception in my view.
    The confusing thing about the S9/+ is that it shows the same icon if connected to a network on 2G or if not connected to an available network. So if I remove the Sim card, it will simply show bars signifying an available signal but since its not connected, there is no description of the network. And if connecting to 2G, same display, no differentiation. This is for the t-mobile version of course. I have seen the unlocked version has slightly different display- it shows LTE clearly in big letters when connected on LTE.

I hope that t-mobile starts roaming on 800 mhz LTE of sprint quickly. Sprint said they'll begin deploying VOLTE this fall. Unfortunately, our area is not getting band 71 deployment in at least the first 3 phases ! And that is well into next year so I'll probably be on sprint network long before band 71 ! Besides, when I had project FI, I often got band 41 in buildings where AWS signal from t-mobile was missing !

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The confusing thing about the S9/+ is that it shows the same icon if connected to a network on 2G or if not connected to an available network. So if I remove the Sim card, it will simply show bars signifying an available signal but since its not connected, there is no description of the network. And if connecting to 2G, same display, no differentiation. This is for the t-mobile version of course. I have seen the unlocked version has slightly different display- it shows LTE clearly in big letters when connected on LTE.
    Next time try using *#0011# to see much more information on the connected network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast