Thread: Odd fone failure? Or damage?

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Odd fone failure? Or damage?

My main fone is a TF BYOP LGG3 ATT unlocked phone. For a backup, and to compare coverages, I also had a HSN LGL164VL Fiesta 2 TF. The fone was ok, had a great camera, but it was big and the battery lasted for ever but it didnt have a button on the back, a feature which I like. But TF did tripple the 1500 minutes so it was a great deal. TF works in strange and mysterious ways.

I took both fones on airplane rides , then to Canada, then to Alaska via cruise ship. The Fiesta said "invalid Sim" when I got to Alaska and didnt work the whole trip.

When I got home, I reseated the sim and that didnt fix it. I didnt have another Verizon phone to try it in so I just ordered a Rebel 3, on sale, and activated that with the old Verizon fone number. I activated a R3 before for a friend and liked the size of the fone for a backup. I am now tempted to put the new sim in the old fone but I also believe, "If its working, leave it alone."

Question: Are there any instances where US or Canadian Xray equipment has harmed fones. I am sure I didnt drop it and it was in my possesion all along the trip.

Perhaps there was a sim failure or fone failure at an inopertune time. I am not throwing away the Fiesta and have a bushel basket full of TF sim card TMFL kits.

Feedback Score
    the tracfone service won't work outside the united states. have you checked the service on the TF ?? maybe TF shut the phone off for trying to use the phone outside the calling area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    I took both fones on airplane rides , then to Canada, then to Alaska via cruise ship. The Fiesta said "invalid Sim" when I got to Alaska and didnt work the whole trip.

When I got home, I reseated the sim and that didnt fix it.
    If the Fiesta 2 was operated in Canada, TracFone may have killed it's service via the SIM card. International roaming is prohibited, but not sure how they detect or handle that.

Feedback Score
    My main fone is a TF BYOP LGG3 ATT unlocked phone. For a backup, and to compare coverages, I also had a HSN LGL164VL Fiesta 2 TF. The fone was ok, had a great camera, but it was big and the battery lasted for ever but it didnt have a button on the back, a feature which I like. But TF did tripple the 1500 minutes so it was a great deal. TF works in strange and mysterious ways.

When I got home, I reseated the sim and that didnt fix it. I didnt have another Verizon phone to try it in so I just ordered a Rebel 3, on sale, and activated that with the old Verizon fone number. I activated a R3 before for a friend and liked the size of the fone for a backup. I am now tempted to put the new sim in the old fone but I also believe, "If its working, leave it alone."

Question: Are there any instances where US or Canadian Xray equipment has harmed fones. I am sure I didnt drop it and it was in my possesion all along the trip.

Perhaps there was a sim failure or fone failure at an inopertune time. I am not throwing away the Fiesta and have a bushel basket full of TF sim card TMFL kits.
    Tracfone doesn't work in Canada. IIRC, Verizon is mostly missing in Alaska. It's mostly AT&T and that may mostly roaming on regional carriers that you wouldn't get to use with TF. Did the AT&T phone work in Alaska.

With all the millions or billions of phones x-rayed at airports I think we would have heard about it if the x-rays damaged them.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Doesn`t the Fiesta 2 and Rebel 3 both have nano, Verizon service SIMS? If so just do some swapping to see if the F2 SIM works in the R3 and if the R3`s SIM works in the F2. This should narrow down or pinpoint the problem.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Doesn`t the Fiesta 2 and Rebel 3 both have nano, Verizon service SIMS? If so just do some swapping to see if the F2 SIM works in the R3 and if the R3`s SIM works in the F2. This should narrow down or pinpoint the problem.
    Thanks to all. I was a two way radio fixer for 30 years and am very supersticious. I could swap the sims but at this time choose not too. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I really like the Rebel 3 anyway as it fits my small hands but here are some answers to the questions.
    1. Yes, Tracfone does not work in Canada, but I have never hurt one while traveling through Canada. However, this is the first time I have taken a Verizon TF through canada.

2. The ATT TF worked just fine in Alaska and when I returned.

3. I did look at my on line account and it showed no issues with the Verizon TF when I returned, but I re-seated the SIM as it was quick and easy to do. No Joy. I can of course attempt to take one of my TF BYOP sim kits and try and activate it on a new number and see what happens.
    4. Right now there is a ton of cheep minutes, texts and data on the Rebel from the Fiesta 2. And a date that is out to 2020. I am just curious as to what I might do with the Fiesta. The Rebel was on sale for $85 delivered to my door from HSN with a year of time and minutes so I dont feel bad at all. I am just curious. If anyone wants to send me their sim to try in the Fiesta, that would be great!

Feedback Score
    Tracfone should know if the Fiesta and/or its sim have been blacklisted. Perhaps TF can check the serial numbers.

Feedback Score
    1. Yes, Tracfone does not work in Canada, but I have never hurt one while traveling through Canada. However, this is the first time I have taken a Verizon TF through canada.
    Was the Fiesta turned on while in Canada, and especially was an attempt made to use it? Would think it should have given a network error, as there is no CDMA service there anymore AFAIK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Tracfone should know if the Fiesta and/or its sim have been blacklisted. Perhaps TF can check the serial numbers.
    Yes, it is worth trying to find out if the Fiesta is crippled enough to not to allow it to be used anymore. Otherwise it's just a paper weight with no value.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Was the Fiesta turned on while in Canada, and especially was an attempt made to use it? Would think it should have given a network error, as there is no CDMA service there anymore AFAIK.
    Actually, I cant remember. It may have well be turned on to use the Vancouver WiFi at the hotel but I doubt I tried to make a call.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, it is worth trying to find out if the Fiesta is crippled enough to not to allow it to be used anymore. Otherwise it's just a paper weight with no value.
    Yeah, right now its just a small tablet with a nice camera, Wifi, stand alone Nav programs, star finders, etc but no service. It was not a bad phone with its huge battery, good camera, etc but I have small hands and for the screen size it was bigger than the G3 I have. And I dont know why but I an now addicted to the button on the back of a fone. My only real gripe with the Rebel 3 is the keyboard size. They need to have one for old people with clumbsy fingers! I suppose I could use it as a BYOP and slip in a TF TMFL sim and try and activate it. I think the warrenty is a year?

Feedback Score
    My only real gripe with the Rebel 3 is the keyboard size. They need to have one for old people with clumbsy fingers!
    You can adjust the keyboard size.
    Use the gear wheel icon to get to settings in messages.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post
    You can adjust the keyboard size.
    Use the gear wheel icon to get to settings in messages.
    No Joy in Messages>settings>
    If I go to Settings>Language and Keyboard>LG Keyboard>Height and Layout, I can drag the height of the keyboard a little bigger.....keys are now 8mm high. The Fiesta can be made to be 9.7 mm.