Thread: Equipment for fixed wireless landline replacement - Xlink BTTN, Panasonic Link2Cell.

Feedback Score

Question Equipment for fixed wireless landline replacement - Xlink BTTN, Panasonic Link2Cell.

I'm getting charged $125/month for an AT&T POTS landline, in a remote area. The line is hardly used (maybe 30 minutes/month).
    There's good Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile service at the location (at least in certain areas of the building not everywhere).

What is a good way to replace that land line?

I'm looking for something very robust. Is an XLink BTTN or Panasonic Link2Cell, using a regular cell phone, the way to go? A Verizon F256VW? Google Voice?

Is there a piece of fixed wireless gateway with a good antenna available, for home use?
    Here I mean a gateway from cell service to a regular land handset, so the users don't know the difference.
    Last edited by brycenesbitt; 06-01-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have my mom on one of these, works great for her she even takes it to FL with her

$15.00 + tax and 911 fees runs $16.40 a month

https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...colorId=111063

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Do you have hardline high-speed internet service of any kind at this location? If you do there's no need to obtain additional service in the form of a cellular line of service. You could use an analog telephone adapter (ATA) of one kind or another (ObiHai with or without Google Voice service, Ooma, MagicJack, etc.) and plug your existing phones (the entire household's phone wire network) right in to it. (Sample article: https://www.lifewire.com/top-phone-adapters-3426340)

If no internet service then I could see getting into the cellular thing.

There are setups with better cordless phone sets that use bluetooth connections to a working cell phone to put those phones into use for that line.

Also there are devices from Verizon Wireless (and a Straight Talk derivative) and probably others that are basically cellular accounts that you plug a regular analog phone into. I think I've still seen the Straight Talk device (which uses VZW) for sale at Walmart. Fairly cheap monthly service ($15).

https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

There's also a reconditioned Huawei device available for this service that you can see on other pages of the Straight Talk site; I think it's only around $25. https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...-reconditioned

Feedback Score
    Presently, at the above location, there is no wireline Internet. The Internet is not suitable for VoIP. Satellite and some wireless services just have too high a latency.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Then that Straight Talk service will probably be the best way to go.

One thing about the Straight Talk service is that the devices and voice service are on an older network that Verizon Wireless will be sunsetting, as early as the very end of 2019, but all the implications for extending that deadline due to numerous devices such as we're discussing have yet to be spelled out just yet. My point being it would seem like it may be necessary to replace a device like this when that change comes, but details are scarce as to what solutions may be offered.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 128GB (Verizon Version) on Cricket
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Im looking for the same setup but using AT&T network. I have a relative that is moving to a rural area 10
    miles from the city and only AT&T has good service there.

I used the straightalk service using the Verizon network when i was in charge of technology for my former employer back in 2012 and worked great.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think AT&T has a similar product and service to this, but I'm not familiar with the name or the rates. Google around a bit and it's sure to turn up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score

Equipment for fixed wireless landline replacement - Xlink BTTN, Panasonic Link2Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I think AT&T has a similar product and service to this, but I'm not familiar with the name or the rates. Google around a bit and it's sure to turn up.
    I found it but it is out stock and at the Store they don’t know about it.
    I believe it has to do with what is going on with the US government and ZTE.

I found one on ebay but I’m not sure it will work.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    This one shows not available in my area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I would typically not go by recommendations of a system for a product based on my zip code (for instance, the way a company like TracFone tells you what they'll sell you based on zip; they have ulterior motives), but this may have to do with known radio band considerations (just a guess) in an area, if not actual product stock at that local level. AT&T has done away with their 2G network, and it's possible in some areas the 3G/HSPA+ is being fiddled with (I don't follow this closely), so when they sell this device it has to work where you're located. You'd need to know local tower/band availability and what the device operates on. Are there areas where AT&T is going VoLTE-only with their voice service? If so the device would need that capability. I maybe jumping the gun on that for AT&T, but it's something to consider for the longer view.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brycenesbitt View Post
    I'm getting charged $125/month for an AT&T POTS landline, in a remote area. The line is hardly used (maybe 30 minutes/month).
    There's good Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile service at the location (at least in certain areas of the building not everywhere).

What is a good way to replace that land line?

$150 a month for a landline is outrageous. My legacy copper landline is $28 and doesn't even work anymore. Verizon no longer fixes copper landlines. I will have to switch to FIOS. I will need to do something soon.

I'm looking for something very robust. Is an XLink BTTN or Panasonic Link2Cell, using a regular cell phone, the way to go? A Verizon F256VW? Google Voice?

Is there a piece of fixed wireless gateway with a good antenna available, for home use?
    Here I mean a gateway from cell service to a regular land handset, so the users don't know the difference.
    I have a Panasonic Link2Cell cordless phones system. It works quite well* within the Bluetooth range of about 30 feet. If you set the Link2Cell to cell-only (no landline) the users wouldn't see a difference in how to use the cordless phone vs a landline.

They might notice the difference in call quality. It is going through cell service so it will sound like a cell call.

With multiple users I would want to dedicate a cellphone and service to it and put a powered cellphone in a good reception location. If you try to do it with cellphones that come and go from the house, you will run into problems with disconnecting, reconnecting, and which cellphone to use.

*When I used this for a multi-month period several years ago the Bluetooth link would drop and not reconnect occasionally, like a couple of times a week. When this happened the cellphone would make a beeping sound with the message about Bluetooth being disconnected. Of course this only happened in the wee hours of the morning which was pretty annoying. I don't really know if the problem was the cellphone or the Link2Cell. I don't know if turning the sound down, off or some silent mode would stop the beeping. I wasn't feeling very analytical at 3 in the morning, and by the time I got up in the morning I was thinking about getting to work on time not analyzing the problem then either.

That ST device/service sounds interesting. Don't know what you get for $15 a month though.

911 with these things is no where near as good as a real landline. With the Link2Cell you will get whatever you get with the cellphone. The one time I tried calling 911 with my cellphone from home I got emergency services in the next county over.

Good luck