Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does tracfone use Sprint

Feedback Score

Does tracfone use Sprint

I'm currently on Sprint's one free deal but in a few months I'll be going back to tracfone. The house I'm moving to has decent Sprint voice & text service. No Verizon or ATT service. Does tracfone use Sprint service at all?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rminor View Post
    I'm currently on Sprint's one free deal but in a few months I'll be going back to tracfone. The house I'm moving to has decent Sprint voice & text service. No Verizon or ATT service. Does tracfone use Sprint service at all?
    Not anymore. They used to. Tello runs on Sprint. They have about the best monthly and prepaid prices.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll look at that. All our phones will work on wifi but they want something that will work if power goes out.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll look at that. All our phones will work on wifi but they want something that will work if power goes out.
    Tello prepaid might work well if you do most of your calling on Wifi. It is $10 minimum deposit that does not expire with some use every 90 days. Use is deducted from your balance at 3 cents per voice minute, 2 cents per data megabyte, 1 cent per text. It includes tethering. You can disable voicemail and text if you want to. Their customer service was good when I contacted them about disabling voicemail.

Feedback Score
    TracFone itself has never used Sprint, but the sister companies have. Hard to believe there is Sprint coverage somewere where there is no AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon.

Also, many Sprint phones are not very Verizon compatible. Different LTE bands and not on the Verizon "Whitelist" of acceptible phones on their network. TracFone uses the Verizon list for accepting phones in their service. If you want Sprint service go somewhere else.

Feedback Score
    both straight talk & net10 have sprint service.

Feedback Score
    Was very hard to believe Sprint was the only phone with service. The location is a mile down a gravel road in NE Georgia, near Helen if you know where that is. Sprint's coverage map said I'd have "fair" voice & text service there and that's exactly what I had. Verizon also said we would have LTE service there, the 3 Verizon iPhones couldn't find it, even outside. We do have good 100mbps fiber internet and their phones work for wifi calling. My Moto G5 Plus has wifi calling with google voice so we're ok unless power goes out. ATT also claims good service there, I have an ATT tracfone sim in my Moto E4, I give it a try when we go back up. They had some pretty bad storms yesterday and lost power for about 2 hours. My sister-in-law was by herself and was upset because she couldn't make any calls. So a Sprint service sim that has only voice & text, low usage, lowest monthly cost. I don't really want a wired phone.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk came out with their first Sprint phone and a site planned to do an unboxing and test. All went well until they found they could not catch a Sprint signal any where at their current location. This is far too many Sprint users experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Straight Talk came out with their first Sprint phone and a site planned to do an unboxing and test. All went well until they found they could not catch a Sprint signal any where at their current location. This is far too many Sprint users experience.
    If the T-Mobile-Sprint merger is approved, the Sprint network will be phased out and everything shift to T-Mobile. With the end of Verizon 2G, that will be the end of CDMA. Gonna be a huge amount of obsolete phones!

Feedback Score
    I'll just say the coverage is not bad for $4/mo. It would be bad for $60/mo.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If the T-Mobile-Sprint merger is approved, the Sprint network will be phased out and everything shift to T-Mobile. With the end of Verizon 2G, that will be the end of CDMA. Gonna be a huge amount of obsolete phones!
    vzw already started and i think finished the CDMA to LTE in new york....

over time yes, i thought of Nextel when u said this

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    vzw already started and i think finished the CDMA to LTE in new york....

over time yes, i thought of Nextel when u said this
    Too early for VZW to completely pull the plug on CDMA. Too many phones being used that are not HD Voice capable. I have their Moto G4 Play that is not.

Yes, Sprint shut down the Nextel iDEN network in 2005. MetroPCS CDMA was shut down in 2015, so T-Mobile has recent experience with this.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Too early for VZW to completely pull the plug on CDMA. Too many phones being used that are not HD Voice capable. I have their Moto G4 Play that is not.

Yes, Sprint shut down the Nextel iDEN network in 2005. MetroPCS CDMA was shut down in 2015, so T-Mobile has recent experience with this.

"Verizon has successfully replaced most of its 1x and EV-DO spectrum in the United States’s most densely populated market, New York City."

http://pocketnow.com/2017/08/08/in-n...eft-to-replace

not that far away and vzw has to do this to keep up with AT&T...

Feedback Score
    I wonder if TracFone CDMA users in the affected areas were notified in advance by TracFone of the need to upgrade their pre-LTE handsets

"Verizon has successfully replaced most of its 1x and EV-DO spectrum in the United States’s most densely populated market, New York City."

not that far away and vzw has to do this to keep up with AT&T...

Feedback Score

The article date is from last August. You would think we would have heard from affected users.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast