Thread: Selectel update

Feedback Score

Selectel update

For those interested in Selectel Wireless:

Selectel is now offering "Enhanced Plans" for the $30, $40, $50 and $70. For $5 additional you get the full Verizon network with roaming and calling to Mexico and Canada included. All other aspects of the plans remain the same.

The $75 is no longer being sold as of June 1. The $15 is still being sold. This is due to Verizon getting ready to phase out the 3G network.

Feedback Score
    what are some options to replace that low cost yearly plan?

Feedback Score
    i believe puppy wireless still has a 1 year plan competitively priced at www.mypuppywireless.com

Feedback Score
    Are they offering HD calling and VoLTE yet?

I switched to Boom to get those, but I had no issues whatsoever with Selectel, my experiences with them were arguably the best of any carrier I've ever dealt with and I absolutely would consider going back to them.

I'm the oddball to whom lowest price is no priority whatsoever when choosing an MVNO. I look for features, and having roaming back for certain, not "maybe if you're just in the right spot" as with Boom, would be a major deal. But I've grown so used to HD calling that not having it pretty much would be a deal breaker at this point.

Feedback Score
    Those plans are too high priced and number 2 no unlimited data. Js.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    what are some options to replace that low cost yearly plan?
    The $15 Monthly is still available from Selectel with 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 50 MB of 3G data.

Red Pocket Mobile also has Verizon plans (Red) and I think their cheaper plans are very competitive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    The plan descriptions all say “ Basic voice mail”. Does this mean Selectel does not have Visual Voice Mail ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    The plan descriptions all say “ Basic voice mail”. Does this mean Selectel does not have Visual Voice Mail ?
    My understanding is that Selectel does not have Visual Voice Mail. I know they don't have it for Android. It MAY be available for iPhone but I doubt it. Maybe someone from the Apple side can chime in here.

Otherwise Selectel has all the voicemail features as Verizon as it is the Verizon voice mail.

I know some folks use YouMail for visual voice mail. That is a paid service available here: www.youmail.com

You can sign up for free but I don't know what you get for free or how long "free" lasts. It also has robocall blockers and other features.
    Last edited by MrGW; 06-02-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: info on YouMail

Device(s)
    Motorola X Pure (3rd Gen), Sony Xperia Z3v
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    Are they offering HD calling and VoLTE yet?

I switched to Boom to get those, but I had no issues whatsoever with Selectel, my experiences with them were arguably the best of any carrier I've ever dealt with and I absolutely would consider going back to them.

I'm the oddball to whom lowest price is no priority whatsoever when choosing an MVNO. I look for features, and having roaming back for certain, not "maybe if you're just in the right spot" as with Boom, would be a major deal. But I've grown so used to HD calling that not having it pretty much would be a deal breaker at this point.
    Yes to the VoLTE - I had an issue with my mobile data and did a chat session to get it reset. Ended up being a setting on my phone that I missed checking for the 4G data. But when I was done, I asked about Visual Voice Mail and VoLTE. Visual Voice Mail according to the rep I worked with is for now only on Apple iPhones and not on Android phone I carry. But she said she could enable VoLTE for me. Took a few times to get it working as the first time she requested I power down the phone and try a call it would disconnect after a single ring- even voice mail *86, but she was persistent and did get it so I could use it on my Android now. It has only been a few days and I think the talk quality is a bit better...

Of course probably best to verify the phone you actually plan on using and what is supported as surprisingly there are still some 4G cell phones out there that are not capable of VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nyny77 View Post
    Those plans are too high priced and number 2 no unlimited data. Js.
    Not everyone needs unlimited data in the prepaid world. And those carriers that are offering it many times just offer a block of 4G data and once that is used for the month you are throttled back to slower 2G data speeds. If you need unlimited data then pretty much need to be looking at one of the lower coverage carriers working off Sprint or possibly T-Mobile towers for their connection.

Feedback Score
    My mother has been on the $75 per year Selectel plan for about 3 years and since she rarely uses her cellphone it’s been great, she renewed in March but wow next year sounds like the bill will be more than double.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Not everyone needs unlimited data in the prepaid world. And those carriers that are offering it many times just offer a block of 4G data and once that is used for the month you are throttled back to slower 2G data speeds. If you need unlimited data then pretty much need to be looking at one of the lower coverage carriers working off Sprint or possibly T-Mobile towers for their connection.
    Actually the Selectel $30 and above plans offer unlimited 2G slow data when the 3G/4G limit is hit. Obviously 2G is super slow but at least it allows some connectivity after the high speed data limit is exceeded.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGW View Post
    Actually the Selectel $30 and above plans offer unlimited 2G slow data when the 3G/4G limit is hit. Obviously 2G is super slow but at least it allows some connectivity after the high speed data limit is exceeded.
    I know that Selectel does not do hard cut off of data now with their newer monthly offerings. I have the 1GB plan and one time I was just over the limit and still could connect, but it was slower. One advantage over Boom Mobile which requires either the addition of a data card or renew your plan early to re-enable any type of data if you hit your cap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Yes to the VoLTE - I had an issue with my mobile data and did a chat session to get it reset. Ended up being a setting on my phone that I missed checking for the 4G data. But when I was done, I asked about Visual Voice Mail and VoLTE. Visual Voice Mail according to the rep I worked with is for now only on Apple iPhones and not on Android phone I carry. But she said she could enable VoLTE for me. Took a few times to get it working as the first time she requested I power down the phone and try a call it would disconnect after a single ring- even voice mail *86, but she was persistent and did get it so I could use it on my Android now. It has only been a few days and I think the talk quality is a bit better...

Of course probably best to verify the phone you actually plan on using and what is supported as surprisingly there are still some 4G cell phones out there that are not capable of VoLTE.
    Selectel began adding VoLTE in April, according to rep. She said my cell (Moto 4G Play XT1607) was compatible, tried to add it and it didn't work. Then she said it is not compatible. She asked for my IMEI # when first checking. Anyway, I have an extra TMobile SIM and VoLTE does work but the coverage isn't as strong as Verizon coverage. So it will take a new cell before I get VoLTE.

Anyone else get it working and with what cell?

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have it as I stated with my Motorola X Pure. I have noticed mostly a bit clearer quality in the few weeks, but also people commenting that they could not hear me. I also have had more than 1 time while on the phone and getting a second call, switching over to the other call and nobody can hear me ( they hang up of course) - does not matter if I tell it to end the call, or place on hold and switch... Can't remember that much of an issue without the VoLTE switch over.

Also no idea or information on the removing of the speed throttling ( 5mbps down) on the Selectel side according to the rep I chatted with.

Visual Voice Mail is only available on iPhones also not any Android devices on their network.